Connect with us

Entertainment

I won’t have kids out of wedlock, says Ruggedman

Published

on

Popular rapper, Michael Ugochukwu Stephens, aka Ruggedman, has been around for a long time. Renowned for his controversial song, Ehen, in which he came down heavily on some Nigerian artistes for singing songs that were below par, he has won himself many enemies along the line. However, more than a decade after he burst onto the scene, his name still rings a bell.

In a chat with Sunday Scoop, he explains how he has managed to remain in public consciousness. “Like I said in my song, Baraje, I blend with the trend and stay forever like culture. I always move with the times and I make sure I stay on top of my game. I also work with the people who are making waves at any particular time and I keep making good music,” he said.

Speaking on his early days in the industry, he said, “I am happy that many of the things I spoke about in those days are still happening. I have always been campaigning for the use of our mother tongue in our songs. When I started, some people felt I was just a troublemaker; they didn’t know that I was fighting for the industry. Like I said in another of my songs, I will always speak my mind; whether people agree with it or not. I stand on the side of the truth and that is what I’m known for. I wouldn’t go out of my way to diss anyone; I will just say the things that people know but don’t want to say. Truly, I have lost a lot for speaking my mind, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Now, we all know that Nigerian songs have taken over the whole African continent. I can confidently say that I’m the first rapper to make money off rap music in Nigeria.”

ALSO READ  PHOTOS: Ekiti govt. visits Fadeyi Oloro

On when he would be getting married, the rapper said, “I have chosen to keep my relationship, and my private life in general away from the press. I have vowed not to have kids out of wedlock and I am bidding my time to do the right thing.”

Maintaining that his clothing line is doing well, he said, “Twentieth September Wears is still very much around. I started making clothes a very long time ago and it is something that I’m passionate about. We produce outside the country and that is actually one of the challenges that we have because of production logistics. There have also been some factors that have cropped up along the way, but we’re doing well.”

Comments

Entertainment

Lagos govt. grants pardon to Funke Akindele, husband over breach of COVID-19 regulations

Published

on

By

The Lagos state government on Friday granted pardon to actress, Funke Akindele, and her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello, who had earlier  been convicted for an offence related to the disobedience of COVID-19 lockdown regulations.

The Director, Public Affairs, Ministry of Justice, Kayode Oyekanmi, in a statement noted that the couple was granted pardon because they were non-custodial convicts.

The statement also revealed that 56 inmates from various correctional Centres were granted state pardon.

“A statement signed by the State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo, SAN, said Mr. Sanwo-Olu acted based on the recommendations of the State Advisory Council on Prerogative of Mercy, under the powers conferred on the Governor by Section 212 (1) & (2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended,” the statement read in part.

“The 56 released inmates were recommended by the Advisory Council after due examination of their case files and consideration of the length of time served, the gravity of offence, old age and ill-health among other parameters.

“The Attorney General has also enjoined the beneficiaries to be good citizens and stay away from crime”.

It will  be recalled that eight-member Advisory Council on Prerogative of Mercy, headed by Dr. Abayomi Finnih was inaugurated by Governor Sanwo-Olu in December 2019.

ALSO READ  Buhari, Ajimobi react to death of Akinwunmi Isola
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Nigerian film Eyimofe set for London premiere, debuts trailer

Published

on

By

As part of activities to celebrate Nigeria’s 60th Independence Day anniversary, a film, Eyimofe (This is my desire) is set to premiere in the United Kingdom, at the BFI London Film Festival on October 11.

The film, which had its world premiere at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival in February, is also billed to celebrate its U.S premiere at the AFI Fest on October 20.

Ahead of the London screening, which will create an opportunity for the Nigerian community in the United Kingdom to join in the country’s 60th anniversary celebration, Eyimofe has debuted its official trailer for the festival, which is already generating interest from the global film community.

A GDN Studios production, the 114 minutes film directed by twin brothers Arie and Chuko Esiri, features Jude Akuwudike, Temi Ami-Williams, Cynthia Ebijie, Sadiq Daba, Tomiwa Edun, Jacobs Alexander, Tomiwa Edun, Chioma ‘Chigul’ Omeruah and others.

Funded entirely in Nigeria and shot in 16mm and filmed across 48 locations in Lagos, the two chapter drama follows the stories of Mofe (Jude Akuwudike), a factory technician, and Rosa (Temi Ami-Williams), a hairdresser, on their quest for what they believe will be a better life on foreign shores.

A passport, photos and a visa form recurring elements. The characters’ misfortunes are part of their everyday life and they are sketching out the need to leave Nigeria at the same time.

ALSO READ  PHOTOS: Ekiti govt. visits Fadeyi Oloro

At the bottom of the socio-economic ladder, status, money, gender, skin colour and family structures are inextricably connected. The longing for another life is but one thread in this complex mesh, a promise that floats above things at once near and far away.

It would be recalled that Eyimofe is the 2020 official selection for Vancouver International Film Festival, an annual film festival held in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

PHOTOS: Odebunmi facilitates  film making training for constituents

Published

on

By

 

The lawmaker representing Ogo Oluwa/ Surulere Federal Constituency, Hon. Segun Dokun Odebunmi has facilitated an empowerment training program for members of his Constituency on Film Making and Cinematography for self reliance.

Odebunmi, who also chairs the House Committee on Information, National Orientation, Ethics and Values on Thursday informed that the training was part of  his quest for human development.

Remarking, the lawmaker justified the training as  one of the ways of encouraging the youths to think out of the box and make use of the technology advancement to create another source of income.

” I grew up in this community and I know what majority of our people are passing through especially now that the economy of the world is being challenged, people need multiple streams of income and I am making  use of every opportunity to assist my people by training them on how to make use of their talents and make more money through entertainment”, he said.

He thanked President Muhammadu Buhari and the leadership of the  National Assembly for the opportunity, urging the participants to take the advantage to better their lots .

The lead speaker, Mr Maruff Ajibolu charged  participants to take full compliment of the training as Nigeria’s creative industries are slowly breaking new grounds and currently recognised as among the biggest globally.  This he noted led to its marking as a priority sector in the FGN’s Economic Recovery and Growth Plan with a very high projected income  over the coming years and also led the Federal government to grant most segments within the creative industries including Nollywood conditional access to pioneer status incentives which include holidays from the payment of companies’ income taxes as well as withholding tax on dividends from pioneer profits for an initial period of three years.

ALSO READ  Sony Music drops R. Kelly over alleged sexual abuse

Also remarking, a key player in the creative industry, Mr. Muyiwa Ademola also harped on the huge potential subsumed in cinematography and film making. The Nollywood star further noted  that the event was a rare opportunity, because it has always been either FG , CBN and World bank projects.

“It was designed to help people discover their talents and passion with the intent of turning it into a source of income”, Ademola added.

The training which took place concurrently at Resource Centre, Igbo-Ile Surulere LG and Ajaawa Town Hall, Ajaawa, Ogo-Oluwa LG, had other notable speakers which included, Mr Yemi Ogunyemi,  Mr Ojo Oluwatona.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: