Connect with us

News

REVEALED! Why police arrested Ibadan popular radio presenter, Oriyomi Hamzat.

Published

on

THE authority of the Nigerian Police, Oyo state command has revealed why Ibadan far famed radio presenter, Oriyomi Hamzat was arrested.

It was confirmed by the police that the radio personality was arrested over an alleged murder of a 17-year-old boy, identified as John.

According to the command’s Public Relation Officer, SP Adekunle Ajisebutu who confirmed a case of suspected murder said investigation was on going to get to the root of the matter.

The force spokesman, Ajisebutu further gave assurance that the suspect would be prosecuted at the conclusion of investigation.

Hamzat, who is currently cooling off his heels at the state CID, Iyaganku, Ibadan was reported to have been detained by the officials of Agugu Police station where he had gone to plea for his boys who were arrested with a wrapped lifeless body in his car.

Mega Icon Magazine reliably gathered that the boys working for him had earlier evaded a checkpoint in a suspicious manner and refused to stop, a situation which prompted the police to trail the vehicle before they were caught with the wrapped dead body of John.

Sources who confided in Mega Icon Magazine said, “if the vehicle didn’t develop a fault, they could have escaped with the wrapped corpse “.

ALSO READ  Nigeria vs Iceland: Onazi, Echiejile in; Ndidi, Iwobi out, as Rohr names surprise starting XI

“Oriyomi Hamzat, who surfaced the following morning to meet with the DPO  to plea for the boys was  detained and later transferred to the state CID for further investigation”, another source disclosed.

The deceased, John was said to be an orphan being raised by the suspect, Oriyomi Hamzat in his unregistered orphanage home.

 

 

 

Comments

News

SWEGOP to Governments: ‘Stop Using Fire Brigade Method to Run Health Sector

Published

on

South West Group of Online Publisher (SWEGOP) on Friday  frowned at the fire brigade approach adopted by federal and state governments to fight the pandemic coronavirus.

SWEGOP also called on governments at all level to review their position on provision of primary and secondary healthcare facilities in their domain

In a release signed by the group’s chairman , Mr Olayinka  Agboola and  Public Relations Officer, Remi Oladoye, SWEGOP   noted  that the pandemic coronavirus has further exposed the weakness of the government  despite the huge budgetary allocations released to run the health sector, year in, year out.

“It is obvious that our governments have not been effective and have been paying lip service to  the development of health sector in Nigeria, most states don’t  have facilities to tackle any outbreak of viral diseases let alone well-equipped isolation centres where such cases can be treated.”

The group also called on governments at all levels in Nigeria to be more proactive and put in place facilities that can enhance the operations of medical personnel in the country.

The association also commended the medical personnel and relevant agencies for their effort in combating the  dreaded Coronal Virus.

Said the group “with the record of just one death and scores of recovery cases recorded, it is evident that our medical personnel are up to the task”.

ALSO READ  Rise to The Occasion Over Plateau Killings, Cattle Ranches, Public Affairs Analysts Tells Govt

The group of media professionals, however urged the general public and stakeholders to collaborate with the government in preventing further spread of corona virus and others in the country.

Continue Reading

News

In Italy, Morgues overwhelmed as COVID-19 death toll tops 8,000

Published

on

By

An overwhelmed Italian city at the heart of the coronavirus pandemic on Thursday sent more of its dead to nearby towns for cremation as the country’s world-leading toll topped 8,000.

Officials in Rome reported 662 new deaths and 6,153 infections — largely in line with the figures reported throughout the week.

The rise in daily deaths edged down to the lowest point in the crisis — 8.8 percent — while the infection rate stood at around eight percent for the fourth day running.

But the numbers are not dropping much further and Italians appear to be coming to terms with the realisation that two weeks of life under lockdown have not made the disease go away.

“Until we see this damn rate drop, we will have to continue making very hard sacrifices,” deputy civil protection service chief Agostino Miozzo said in reference to the ever-tightening containment measures.

Italy’s coronavirus death toll now stands at 8,165 — more than that of second-placed Spain and China, where the virus emerged in December, combined.

‘Crematoriums could not cope’

The endless flood of victims forced the city of Bergamo at Italy’s northern epicentre of the pandemic to send still more bodies to less burdened crematoriums in neighbouring towns.

ALSO READ  Using pagecarton to put Nigeria on world map of web security

An AFP photographer saw six camouflage green army trucks transporting coffins out of a Bergamo cemetery on Thursday.

“The large number of victims has meant that Bergamo’s crematorium could not cope on its own,” mayor Giorgio Gori said in a statement released to AFP.

The mayor said the city had also received 113 urns with the ashes of bodies that had been sent out for cremation earlier this week.

The bodies in the city of about 120,000 people are literally piling up.

A warehouse in the commune of Ponte San Pietro on Bergamo’s western outskirts held 35 freshly-made wooden coffins Thursday that were destined for cremation at a later date.

Still more coffins filled a barren church hall in the Seriate commune to Bergamo’s east.

A priest said a quiet prayer over the rows of coffins and a single red rose rested atop one in the otherwise empty room.

Anxious south

Yet the Italian government is just as anxious about the northern crisis spilling over into the far less developed south.

The head of the Campania region that includes Naples warned of a “dramatic explosion” of infections based on this week’s trends.

“The next 10

days will be hell for us,” governor Vincenzo De Luca said in an open letter to Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

ALSO READ  Nigeria vs Iceland: Onazi, Echiejile in; Ndidi, Iwobi out, as Rohr names surprise starting XI

The number of officially registered deaths in Campania — Italy’s third-most-populous with nearly six million people — rose from 29 on Sunday to 83 on Thursday.

But no southern region has recorded more than 100 coronavirus fatalities to date.

Italy’s latest figures confirm that COVID-19 overwhelmingly kills the elderly and the sick.

Data from Italy’s first 5,542 fatalities show that 98.6 percent of the victims already suffered from at least one ailment or pre-existing condition.

Slightly over half had three or more other health problems when they died.

Only 29.1 percent of the victims were women. The disparity has been observed elsewhere and still puzzles doctors around the world.

The average age of victims was 78 — a fraction lower than the 78.8 reported last week based on the first 3,200 deaths.

But Italian virologist Roberto Burioni said the figures were “not particularly reliable” because the country was primarily testing people who already exhibited flu-like symptoms.

Italy’s death rate among the confirmed COVID-19 cases — 10.1 percent — was thus much higher than in countries with broad-based testing such as South Korea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria: Another 14 fresh cases of COVID-19 confirmed

Published

on

By

Another fourteen new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Nigeria, bringing the total number of cases to 65, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced in a tweet on Thursday night.

According to the breakdown of the number of the additional cases,  12 new cases were discovered in Lagos while the remaining two were confirmed in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, the nation’s capital.

Six of the cases were detected on a vessel and three others were returning travellers into the country while the remaining case was a close contact of a confirmed case.

The NCDC, however informed that another case had been discharged, bringing the number of persons who have recovered from the virus to three.

ALSO READ  FG Moves To Stop Importation Of Petrol By 2023
Continue Reading

COVID-19 ALERT

Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: