Crime & Court
Billionaire kidnapper: I’m still wondering how illiterate Evans lured me into crime – Civil Engineering graduate

A 53 -year-old suspected robber and kidnapper, Linus Opara, has said he did not know how billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwumadike a.k.a Evans lured him into his gang.
Opara, who claimed to be a graduate of civil engineering, disclosed that he was an informant for Evans and his gang.
He said this at the headquarters of the Lagos State Police Command in GRA, Ikeja Lagos.
The 53-years-old said his role was to monitor victims while Evans paid him any amount he felt like for services rendered.
Opara, prior to his arrest said he operated a company, Linok Construction Company located at No. 3 Umezinne Street, off Saint Peters Street, Alaba, Lagos.
The informant, who was arrested at about 9pm on July 20, 2017 at his house in Igando, Lagos, claimed he was introduced to Evans by a late member of the gang identified as Doctor.
He said: ”Do not look at my white hair; it is not as a result of old age. Rather, my hair turned white because of long suffering after my graduation as a civil engineer from the University of Ibadan. It is still a surprise to me how an illiterate person like Evans was able to lure me into kidnapping and all his illicit business.
”I studied Civil Engineering in the University of Ibadan. I am married with four children and they are still schooling. My wife is a graduate of Accountancy from the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), but she has not secured work till date.
“I am not anything to Evans. We only address him as chairman and sometimes as president of group of companies. I was arrested and taken to the State Anti- Robbery Squad (SARS) building in Ikeja on 20th July, 2017.
“I saw Evans for the first time the day I supplied a nutrition supplement because I am a distributor. The second time I met Evans was when policemen took me from their cell to an unknown place in Lagos, because I was blindfolded. I could not see where they were taking me to.
”It was when they took me to Evans that they removed the blindfold and I saw him. I addressed him as Nwachinemelu. Police were asking both of us questions and I was answering accordingly.
“They asked me how many times I worked for Evans and I said two times, and that I turned him down the third time that he asked me to do another job. I told the police that I monitored victims for him and he paid me. I did not know the names of the victims.
”During the first work I did for him, he sent a motorcycle rider to meet me at Olowola Bus Stop. He gave my phone number to him and he called me. When I met him, I asked him where he was taking me to. He said he was taking me to Trade Fair area. So I entered (sic) his motorcycle and he took me to under the bridge at Trade Fair.
”He drove (rode) towards Mile 2 area. Evans called me and asked where we were and I told him. But he asked me to go home; that I had done well.
“When we reached Alakija, I told him and he said I should not worry myself; that he had told others to allow me to go to my house. When he called again, he asked me to send my bank account number to him. I sent my First Bank account number to him and he wired the sum of N2 million to my account. I was surprised.
”The second time, it was the same process as he already had my bank account number. He sent me the sum of N700,000.
“When he called me for the third job, I told him that I was not interested, because I started sensing some errors in the business, like getting afraid for the kind of money he was giving me. The money he was giving me in the twinkle of an eye was bigger than the money I used to make in a whole year as a civil engineer.”
Crime & Court
Edo Tragedy: DSS Arrests Two Over Uromi Mass Killing

Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have arrested two principal suspects allegedly involved in the killing of 16 travellers in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo State last week.
The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Friday Ituah, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, confirming that the suspects were apprehended in Uromi town following credible intelligence.
According to Ituah, operatives from various security agencies are actively hunting for other key suspects linked to the tragic incident. He further revealed that the two arrested suspects have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.
Meanwhile, on Monday, the Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, paid a condolence visit to Kano State, where he revealed that 14 suspects had already been arrested in connection with the killings and were also to be moved to Abuja for further questioning.
During his visit, Governor Okpebholo expressed deep sorrow over the incident and assured the victims’ families that justice would be served. He reiterated his administration’s commitment to ensuring that those responsible for the heinous act would be brought to book.
Also, the governor pledged that adequate compensation would be provided to the bereaved families as part of efforts to mitigate their suffering.
Crime & Court
EFCC Re-Arrests Crypto Fraud Kingpin, Friday Audu, Outside Court Premises

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has rearrested Friday Audu, the alleged mastermind of a massive cryptocurrency investment fraud and romance scam, just moments after he was granted bail by a Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.
In a dramatic turn of events, EFCC operatives intercepted Audu as he stepped out of the court premises on Thursday. The anti-graft officers swiftly bundled him into a waiting white van and whisked him away, while his co-defendants were led off by correctional officers.
Audu, alongside two Chinese nationals, Huang Haoyu and An Hongxu, as well as their company, Genting International Ltd, is facing a 12-count charge bordering on cybercrime. The trio was arraigned before Justice Daniel Osiagor on Monday, March 17, and returned to court on March 20 for their bail hearing.
Despite being granted bail, Audu’s troubles deepened as EFCC officials moved in swiftly. The court had granted him bail in the sum of N50 million, with two sureties—one being a serving director in Nigeria, and the other a Lagos-based property owner willing to surrender title documents to the court. Until these conditions are met, Audu was to remain in correctional custody.
However, his alleged accomplice, Huang Haoyu, was not as fortunate. The court denied his bail application, ruling that his residence status in Nigeria was unclear and that he posed a flight risk. The third defendant, An Hongxu, did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody.
Justice Osiagor adjourned the trial to May 2, 2025.
How It All Started
The EFCC’s case against Audu and his co-defendants stems from a December 2024 sting operation that led to the arrest of 193 foreigners and several Nigerians linked to a sophisticated cyber-fraud network.
According to the prosecution, Audu allegedly spearheaded the recruitment of young Nigerians into the syndicate, which engaged in cyber fraud, cryptocurrency scams, and illicit financial dealings. The EFCC further alleged that the group conspired with one Dualiang Pan (still at large) to access computer systems designed to destabilize Nigeria’s economic and social structure.
The defendants were accused of using young Nigerians to impersonate foreign nationals in online scams, defrauding unsuspecting victims of millions of dollars. Investigators also linked them to a staggering ₦3.4 billion fraud, with proceeds traced to the Union Bank account of Genting International Ltd.
Other fraudulent transactions flagged in the case include:
- The illegal retention of $1.2 million in a crypto wallet by one Chukwuemeka Okeke.
- A similar retention of $1.3 million by Alhassan Garba and Ifesinachi Jacobs.
- Suspicious transfers of ₦106 million and ₦913 million to an account controlled by Dualiang Pan.
- Unofficial foreign exchange dealings worth over ₦2 billion, allegedly conducted outside the Central Bank of Nigeria’s approved system.
The EFCC maintained that these activities violated multiple provisions of the Cybercrime (Prohibition) Act 2015, the Money Laundering Act 2021, and the Foreign Exchange Monitoring Act 2004.
Battle for Bail
During Thursday’s proceedings, EFCC prosecutor Bilikisu Buhari-Bala opposed bail for the defendants, arguing that they were flight risks and key players in an extensive cybercrime syndicate. She pressed for an accelerated trial instead.
Defense counsels, however, pleaded for leniency. Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) Emeka Okpoko, representing the first defendant, urged the court to grant his client bail on “liberal terms.” Similarly, Clement Onwuenwunor (SAN), who represented Audu, pushed for his client’s release under favorable conditions.
Despite the court’s decision to grant Audu bail, his freedom was short-lived as EFCC officials quickly stepped in to rearrest him, a move that hints at fresh charges or an ongoing investigation.
With the case now set for trial on May 2, all eyes remain on the EFCC and the fate of the alleged crypto fraud syndicate.
Crime & Court
EFCC Arrests Bauchi Accountant General for Alleged ₦70bn Fraud

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested the Accountant General of Bauchi State, Sirajo Jaja, over an alleged ₦70 billion fraud.
Jaja was apprehended in Abuja on Wednesday, 19 March 2025, alongside Aliyu Abubakar, an operator of Jasfad Resources Enterprise—an unlicensed bureau de change (BDC)—and Sunusi Ibrahim Sambo, a Point of Sale (PoS) operator.
Their arrests form part of an ongoing EFCC investigation into allegations of money laundering, diversion of public funds, and misappropriation involving the staggering sum.
The Commission is also probing the Governor of Bauchi State, Bala Mohammed, in connection with the matter.
According to the EFCC, preliminary findings indicate that a total of ₦59 billion was withdrawn in cash through various bank accounts managed by the Accountant General on behalf of the state government. The funds were allegedly transferred to Abubakar and Sambo, who then made cash payments to political party agents and associates of the governor.
Notably, Abubakar, the BDC operator, had previously absconded while on bail but has now been rearrested.
EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, confirmed the arrests, stating that investigations are ongoing to unravel the full extent of the financial misconduct.
-
News1 week ago
Alleged KGB Infiltration: Police in Dilemma as Senator Natasha Abandons Petition, Snubs Summons
-
News6 days ago
Rep. Oseni Condoles Late Gov. Ajimobi, Kola-Daisi Families Over Bisola’s Passing
-
News6 days ago
Olugbon, Olori Mourn Abisola Kola-Daisi, Commiserate with Ajimobi, Kola-Daisi Families
-
Politics4 days ago
Rep Oseni Congratulates Oyo APC Chairman, Others on Federal Board Appointments