Connect with us

Metro

Wife of man who died after Arsenal loss to Stoke City opens up

Published

on

Wife of the Arsenal FC fan who slumped and died in Owerri, the Imo state capital during last weekend Premier League game against Stoke City, has opened up on how her husband, a ‘die-hard’ supporter of the Gunners, died.

The man’s wife, Ndidi Ejimba, who has three kids, said since Dominic, her husband died, on Saturday evening, things have not remained the same for the family.

The woman said that watching Arsenal play in any competition at all, was life to her husband.

She said the deceased had left his shop later that afternoon to watch matches involving top English Premiership clubs.

She told Punch, “My husband came back to the shop at the end of the first half of the match between Arsenal and Stoke City to urinate.

“He promised to be back at the end of the match, telling me how his club would win. But about 20 minutes after he left to watch the second half of the match, somebody rushed to the house to inform me that he had slumped at the viewing centre and that he was being rushed to a hospital.

“When I got to the hospital and saw him, he was almost dead. He was on a stretcher. At a point, one of our neighbours, who was among those that rushed him to the hospital, told me to go back to lock the shop and get a vehicle we could use to transfer him to another hospital.

ALSO READ  Chelsea eye another transfer raid on Arsenal as Aaron Ramsey's contract approaches final year

“According to him, the hospital he was rushed to couldn’t handle the situation. I never knew it was a trick to send me away from the place because all that time my husband was already dead.

“It was until the next day, which was a Sunday that I finally believed that my husband was dead after he failed to wake up.

“His corpse was finally deposited at the morgue by the hospital workers. The sight of his lifeless body left me in utmost shock and a deep sorry state.

“My husband was neither sick nor showed any sign of being unhealthy. He woke up normally and we were all looking forward to a great day and other activities that weekend before the tragedy.

“We had plans together as a family but now death has taken him away. He died less than one month after we moved into our new house in the village. We were planning to dedicate the new building with relatives and friends when he died.

“To imagine that my husband who took good care of us is no longer around is unbelievable . I don ’t know where to go from here because life has not been the same for us since then.

“Watching Arsenal play was his life. He would rebuke and sometimes ignore me whenever I told him to reduce his obsession with Arsenal.

ALSO READ  NASS siege: Female Rep challenges DSS to shoot

“He loved the club so much. He was ready to chase his customers away and lock up his shop just to watch the team play.

“For the 10 years that we were married, he never stopped watching football matches involving Arsenal.

“He was a loving man to his family and all those who came in contact with him. He had a lot of plans for us especially the children whom he promised to train to any level as far as education was concerned.

“He did his best to always make us comfortable and happy; we never knew death would snatch him away from us so soon. Words cannot tell how much we will miss him.”

Comments

Metro

Oyo: ‘Most okada riders are spying for bandits, foreign kidnappers’ – Amotekun boss hints

Published

on

The Chairman, South-Western Security Network codenamed ‘Amotekun’ in Oyo State, Col. Kunle Togun on Monday hinted that most commercial motorcyclists in the State are spies for kidnappers and bandits that have entered the Yoruba land from the porous borders of Nigeria.

Col. Togun  informed that the foreigners who were ferried inside trailers into Oyo State among other States during the Covid-19 lockdown could not speak any Nigerian language but French whenever accosted by his men.

He averred  that the warning from the State governor to traditional chiefs to stop allocating lands to herdsmen with no papers showing Nigerian nationality would go a long way to stem the spate of killing and kidnapping in Yorubaland.

The Amotekun boss who was responding to questions from reporters at his office in the State Secretariat at Agodi on Monday, said the greedy nature of some traditional and community leaders in many Yoruba towns led to high rate of insecurity, which he claimed  the security outfit has been curbing.

He said, “Before Amotekun was established, the problem of Yorubaland since the invasion of the land by these herdsmen has been our traditional chiefs and leaders in Yorubaland, they take money, cows and cars from these people, and allow them to settle and wreak havoc in their domains.

“I have attended meetings of Obas in Oke-Ogun and I told them to stop giving lands to foreigners, these herdsmen are called Bororos in Oke-Ogun and Ibarapa areas, they are not Nigerians, what is happening should not be analysed in the area of religion, it is territorial expansion.

“Their leaders argue about the ECOWAS Free Movement law, but the one I am aware of is that anybody from ECOWAS country can go into another ECOWAS country without visa but you cannot stay there for more than ninety days at a stretch, some of these people have been occupying our land for years and they are not Nigerians.

“Most of them that were dumped here by trailers during the Covid-19 lockdown have turned to Okada riders, many are carrying wheelbarrows all over the place, selling carrots, orange and the rest, the Okada riders are their spies, we have noted that and we are working on government policy that will curtail the use of these people to foment crisis in Oyo State and the Yorubaland as a whole”.

Togun noted that Nigerians are the most security unconscious people in the world as he added that even the neighboring Benin Republic has a database and is more secure because according to him, security is supposed to be everybody’s business.

He said those that expected Amotekun to fail in Oyo State should be ashamed as the outfit would continue to be the pride of all Yoruba people at home and in the diaspora, urging the people of the State to continue to put their trust and support in the outfit.

 

ALSO READ  Ex- Super Eagles Captain, Kanu Nwankwo Robbed Of $11,000 At Moscow Airport
Continue Reading

Metro

58- year-old pastor prosecuted for defiling a 7-year-old minor in Ibadan

Published

on

A 58-year old Pastor, Mr Francis Abayomi was prosecuted for allegedly defiling one Akinpelu Emmanuella (F) 7 years Old on November 25,2020 at Kutamiti Street off Bashorun Expressway Ibadan, according to the Oyo State Command of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) on Thursday.

The Magistrate in Charge of Family Court 1 Iyaganku Ibadan, SH Adebisi ordered that the Suspect should be remanded in NSCDC Custody at the State Headquater Agodi Ibadan and adjourned the Case till 25 January 2021.

The Suspect was allegedly defile the Victim without her Consent and thereby Committed an Offence contrary to section 34(1) and Punishable Under Section 34 (2) of the Oyo State Child Right Law 2006.

Meanwhile Oyo State Command Anti Human trafficking Unit attended to 343 cases in 2020 ranges from Child trafficking, Child abuse,child labour and street children,Rape and Defilement child in need of Care and Protection,physical assault and Domestic violence.

The State’s Commandant of NSCDC has frown at issue of rape,defilement,incent and all form of abuse on child and female gender, he however warn members of the public who engage in such act to desist from it or face the full wrath of the law and without compromise.

ALSO READ  NASS siege: Female Rep challenges DSS to shoot
Continue Reading

Metro

Oyo Amotekun Confirms Killing of 23-Year-Old Man In Ibadan, Dismisses Erring Officer

Published

on

Oyo State Security Network Agency, popularly known as Amotekun, on Thursday confirmed the death of Mr Tosin Thomas, 23, who was allegedly killed by one of its officers, Afolabi Kazeem, at Mokola, in Ibadan.

The state’s Commandant of the security outfit, Colonel Olayanju Olayinka (rtd.) who confirmed the development also informed that it has dismissed Afolabi Kazeem with Ammunition Number AM031849.

Afolabi, was reported to have killed Mr Tosin Thomas on Wednesday.

Colonel Olayinka (rtd.) in a statement he personally signed and made available to newsmen  in Ibadan added that the erring corp has been handed over to the police for prosecution, while his Team leader, George Idowu, is being thoroughly investigated and will face all necessary sanctions.

Narrating the incident that led to the killing of Thomas, Colonel Olayinka said “at about 10 PM on Wednesday, January 13, 2021, Operatives of Amotekun, led by Team Leader George Idowu, got an alert of a purported armed robbery operation at Total Filling Station, Mokola, Ibadan.

“Following the distress call, the Team Leader and his team of seven members arrived at the scene.

“On arrival at the scene of the alleged crime, it turned out that it was not an armed robbery operation, though a crowd had gathered.

ALSO READ  Buhari trying to implicate me – Obasanjo cries out

“The Team Leader, sensing no immediate danger to anyone at the scene immediately proceeded to speak with the station manager. While he was with the manager, he heard a gunshot.

“As it turned out, one of his team members, by the name Afolabi Kazeem, who felt sufficiently threatened by the crowd, which included some hoodlums armed with cutlasses and other dangerous weapons, opened fire to supposedly scare away the crowd. Unfortunately, his shot hit one Mr Tosin Thomas, 23, who was subsequently confirmed dead.”

Amotekun Commandant disclosed that the Corps has found that Afolabi Kazeem with Ammunition Number AM031849 acted outside the Amotekun Corps’ protocols.

He continued, “For this reason, he has been summarily dismissed from the Corps and handed over to the police for prosecution. Also, his Team leader, George Idowu, is being thoroughly investigated and will face all necessary sanctions”.

Amotekun Commandant, however reassured members of the public of the Corps’ internal mechanisms for dealing with erring officers, adding that “We will continue to train and retrain our officers on best practices and rules of engagement.”

He then disclosed that the Corps deeply regrets the loss to the Thomas family, and “we are already in touch with the family”.

ALSO READ  Chelsea vs Arsenal: Conte reacts to David Luiz’s red card

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: