#RevolutionNow: Court Grants DSS's Application, Sowore To Be Detained In Custody For Next 45 Days - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

News

#RevolutionNow: Court Grants DSS’s Application, Sowore To Be Detained In Custody For Next 45 Days

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has granted the Department of State Service (DSS) an application to detain the convener of #RevolutionNow Protest, Omoyele Sowore in their custody.

The vacation judge, Justice Taiwo Taiwo said he will grant the application only for a period of 45 days, adding that the 45 days will start to count from today.

Although the DSS had asked for 90 days in line with Section 27 Sub -Section 1 of the Terrorism Act Justice Taiwo held that the “MAY” in that section is a directory which gives the court discretion to decide as to the number of days to give the applicants and having looked at all the prayers and evidence attached, he is of the view to grant 45 days for the applicants to carry out their investigation.

He said, however, the DSS is at liberty to return to court via an application to ask for more days.

Sowore, who is the publisher of Sahara Reporters and presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, AAC in the February 2019 elections was arrested in the early hours of Saturday by operatives of the DSS in a hotel in Lagos.

DSS  said Sowore was arrested on account of the  #RevolutionNow protest which he had spearheaded.

ALSO READ  IGP Orders Police To Beef-Up Security Nationwide

The DSS had  on Tuesday approached the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, seeking leave to detain Sowore, for 90 days to enable it to carry out further investigation.

 

Comments

News

Makinde promises to inject more funds, procure equipments for OYSROMA

Published

on

Oyo state governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde on Monday  assured the people of the State of better services from the Oyo State Road Maintenance Agency (OYSROMA) as he declared the readiness of the administration to inject more funds and procure more equipments for the agency within the first quarter of the year 2020.

 

OYSROMA chairman,  Hon. Kamil Akinlabi made this known  during the management meeting of the agency at his office

 

He added that Governor Makinde was poised at ensuring the operations of the agency get to other parts of the State as quick as possible in order to ease flow of traffic and movement of goods as well as farm produce from the hinterlands.

 

“I am happy to say that His Excellency, Governor Seyi Makinde has promised to increase funding to our agency and also help in the purchase of necessary equipments in preparation for the agency to move its operations to other parts of the state.

 

“This is a news that gladdens our heart as we can now have enough facilities and manpower to move outside the Ibadan metropolis and start works on roads that are equally economically-viable, that will yield commercial interest to the people of the State and the government.

ALSO READ  25 Academic Staff Promoted to Professorial Cadre At UI

 

“There are roads in the hinterland around the State that are begging for attention and we are using this opportunity to again assure the people of the State of the readiness of the government to do repair works on roads that are in need of our attention,”he said.

 

The former lawmaker also noted that the increase in funding to the agency with the provision of necessary equipments would further enhance job quality, better efficiency and supervision of projects being carried out by the agency.

 

He charged the management and staff of the agency to be more alive to their duties, stressing that their dedication to work would further improve the productivity of the agency.

 

” I want to use this medium to implore our staff to be alive to their duties, be more dedicated to work so that we can achieve more than what we had last year.”

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Libya summit: ‘This terrible situation cannot be allowed to continue’, UN chief tells world leaders

Published

on

By

As fight continues between forces loyal to General Khalifa Haftar, which control large tracts of territory in the country, and the government in Tripoli, world leaders attended the International Conference in the hope of finding a political solution.

General Khaftar’s forces have besieged the capital since April, and the fighting has been fuelled by increasing foreign interference. Whilst the government is backed by the UN, The Libyan National Army of General Khaftar has support from Russia and some Middle Eastern States.

The human toll, Mr. Guterres told the assembled delegates, has been severe, with international humanitarian law defied on multiple occasions: “More than 220 schools in Tripoli are closed, depriving 116,000 children of their basic human right to an education. Migrants and refugees, trapped in detention centres near the fighting, have also been affected and continue to suffer in horrendous conditions. This terrible situation cannot be allowed to continue”.

The Libyan threat to an already unstable region

Reiterating his belief that there is no military solution in Libya, the UN chief issued a reminder of the dangerous consequences of a full-blown civil war which, he said, could lead to a “humanitarian nightmare”, and leave the country vulnerable to permanent division. A civil war also risks further destabilizing the entire southern Mediterranean and Sahel region, exacerbating the threats of terrorism, human trafficking, and the smuggling of drugs and weapons.

ALSO READ  Nigeria : Expert dedicates 100 boreholes to Donald Trump.

Mr. Guterres welcomed the recent ceasefire between the two sides, and urged them to “engage in good faith dialogue on political, economic and military issues in a Libyan-led and Libyan-owned inclusive process”, which, he affirmed, will be supported by the UN.

“We will stand with the Libyan people as they work to resolve their differences through discussion and compromise in good faith”, concluded the Secretary-General, “and chart a way to a more peaceful future”.

Foreign powers vow to stay out of Libyan affairs

After the Conference, Mr. Guterres announced that all the participants had pledged not to interfere in the conflict, and to respect a UN arms embargo., and he called on all Libyan parties to take part in a “Libyan-owned and Libyan-led dialogue”, under the auspices of the UN, to pave the way for a political solution to the crisis.

The Secretary-General said in a press conference that a meeting to discuss the economic reform necessary for the normal governance of Libya will take place in the next two to three weeks.

Continue Reading

News

UN Humanitarian Coordinator Outraged at Attack Against Major Facility In Borno

Published

on

By

The UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, strongly condemns the attack by non-state armed groups against the main humanitarian accommodation in Ngala, in the north-eastern State of Borno. “I am outraged by the extremely violent attack on this key humanitarian facility where five United Nations staff were staying at the time of the incident,” stated the UN Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr Edward Kallon.

On the evening of Saturday 18 January, the humanitarian hub in Ngala was the direct target of a complex assault by heavily armed non-state armed groups operatives. An entire section of the facility was burned down as well as one of the few vehicles UN agencies rely on for movement and aid delivery. Protective security measures deployed at the humanitarian hub prevented any harm to the staff who was in the facility.

“I am shocked by the violence and intensity of this attack, which is the latest of too many incidents directly targeting humanitarian actors and the assistance we provide,” stressed the Humanitarian Coordinator. “I am relieved all staff is now safe and secure. Aid workers, humanitarian facilities and assets cannot be a target and must be protected and respected at all times.”

Aid workers are providing assistance to more than 55,000 people in the town of Ngala, near the border with Cameroon. In 2019, over 10,000 people arrived in Ngala, searching for security and basic services. Humanitarian hubs in Borno State are critical to the humanitarian response. They provide operating environments for aid workers in remote locations where some of the most vulnerable people live or have sought refuge.

ALSO READ  Ex-Oyo Deputy Speaker Bags PhD From UI

“Such incidents have a disastrous effect on the lives of the most vulnerable people who depend on our assistance to survive. Many of them had already fled violence in their area of origin and were hoping to find safety and assistance in Ngala. This also jeopardizes the ability for aid workers to stay and deliver assistance to the people most in need in remote areas in Borno State.”

“I call on all parties to the conflict to respect the principles of humanity, neutrality, independence and impartiality which guide the assistance the humanitarian community delivers in the states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.”

The United Nations and NGO partners in Nigeria are working to bring vital assistance to over seven million people in the crisis-affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe. They are increasingly the target of attacks. Twelve aid workers lost their lives in 2019, which is twice the number in the previous year. Two aid workers remain in the captivity of non-state armed groups – ACF staff member Grace Taku abducted near Damasak in July 2019, and Alice Loksha, a nurse and a mother, kidnapped during an attack in Rann in March 2018. The United Nations and its humanitarian partners call for their immediate and safe release.

ALSO READ  COZA SAGA: Dakolo Demands Apology From Pastor Fatoyinbo

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: