The President, National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Alhaji Najeem Yasin has assured that the crisis rocking the Oyo state chapter of the union will soon be over within one week.
Alhaji Yasin gave the assurance in a chat with journalists shortly after a courtesy visit to Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state at Agodi government secretariat Ibadan.
It would be recalled that on May 31 the Oyo state government proscribed the activities of the state chapter of NURTW to maintain peace and security in the state.
According to the NURTW boss, the visit was to see Governor Seyi Makinde on the ban placed on the union in the state.
Yasin explained that it is imperative to dialogue with the state government on how the ban placed on the union can be lift and also settle any misunderstanding among the NURTW members.
On the Proposed NURTW election in Oyo state, he said election will be conducted in all 36 states of the federation in accordance will the rules and regulations of the union.
Alhaji Najeem Yasin reiterated the Union’s commitment to settle the crisis in NURTW Oyo state chapter within one week.
He said the union will work collectively with the state government at ensuring peace in Oyo state .
Lock down order takes effect, Lagos-Ibadan expressway blocked
The police have blocked the inbound and outbound sections of the Lagos-Ibadan express way as part of plans to effectively lock down the Lagos metropolis.
President Muhammadu Buhari, in line with local and global best practices for curbing the spread of COVID-19 had earlier gave this directive .
The President, in his nationwide broadcast on Sunday, ordered that a total lock down be observed in two states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), in a bid to combat the virus.
The President directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days with effect from 11pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.
Based on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Health and the NCDC, the President also extended the restriction to Ogun State due to its close proximity to Lagos and the high traffic between the two States.
In line with the President’s order, security operatives have taken to the streets to ensure that the curfew is obeyed.
It is expected that the containment period would be used to identify, trace and isolate all individuals that have come into contact with confirmed cases.
Nigeria: Undisrupted financial services during COVID-19 lockdown
It will be recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari had issued a directive restricting the movement of people – excluding those on essential service – with effect from 11pm on Monday, March 30, 2020, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos and Ogun States, as a response to the corona virus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Subsequently, the Minister of Finance, Budget and Planning and the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria obtained Presidential approval to permit critical financial services to function during this period.
Consequently, relevant security agencies have been requested to grant passage to critical staff of these institutions to enable essential and strategic financial transactions to go undisrupted during the period of the lockdown. These institutions include:
i. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN);
ii. Deposit Money Banks (DMBs);
iii. The Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS) Plc;
iv. Switching companies,
v. Mobile money operators,
vi. Payment solution service providers.
In view of the ongoing restrictions and in order to check further spread of the corona virus disease, the CBN hereby urges the general public to limit their use of cash and avail themselves of the use of alternative payment channels such as mobile banking, Internet banking, Mobile money, Point of Sale, and USSD. The public is therefore assured that financial institutions will remain operational during this period and therefore should guard against panic withdrawals from their banks.
We also urge all Nigerians to adhere strictly to the movement restrictions and follow stipulated guidelines by the Federal Ministry of Health, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and other relevant health agencies of government to curb possible spread of the virus in Nigeria.
Oyo: My COVID-19 confirmation test result is positive – Makinde reveals
Oyo state governor, Engr Seyi Makinde has tested positive for coronavirus and is in self-isolation.
Governor Makinde disclosed this on Monday through his verified Twitter handle, adding that he is asymptomatic.
“I just received my COVID-19 confirmation test result,” he tweeted. “It is POSITIVE. I am asymptomatic and will continue to self-isolate”, he tweeted.
The governor also directed the former Chief Medical Director of the University College, Ibadan, Prof Temitope Alonge, to be the Head of COVID-19 Task Force as he recovers.
“I have designated Prof Temitope Alonge, former Chief Medical Director of the University College, Ibadan, as the Head of COVID-19 Task Force while I recover fully.”
Governor Makinde further urged the people of Oyo State to comply with instructions from the COVID-19 Task Force.
“Stay home, stay safe,” he urged Oyo residents.
He is the third governor in the country to test positive for coronavirus.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
News5 days ago
In Italy, Morgues overwhelmed as COVID-19 death toll tops 8,000
News5 days ago
‘You have no moral right to criticize Buhari’, late MKO Abiola’s ally chides Oyedepo
Opinion4 days ago
Outdoor Advertising in Oyo State And The Growing Insanity | By Waheed Ganiyu
Sports6 days ago
COVID -19: Anthony Joshua goes into self-isolation after meeting Prince Charles