Connect with us

Politics

Soldiers arrest ex-militant leader, others ahead of Osinbajo’s visit

Published

on

Ahead of Tuesday’s visit by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo to Gbaramatu Kingdom in Warri South-West Local Government Area of Delta State, tension on Sunday enveloped the Niger Delta region over alleged arrest and invasion of some ex-militant leaders’ homes in the state by soldiers.

Our correspondent reliably learnt that scores of ex-militants, including a top ex-militant leader, Mr. Bounanawei Smith, alias King of the Forest, were arrested in a fresh crackdown in what sources said were not unconnected with renewed hostilities and fresh threat by the Niger Delta Avengers to attack oil facilities.

Osinbajo is scheduled to visit Gbaramatu Kingdom where the embattled ex-militant leader, Chief Government Ekpemupolo, popularly known as Tompolo, hails from.

Osinbajo’s visit is for the purpose of holding talks with leaders of Gbaramatu, which had become a hub of militants’ activities in recent times.

Security, ahead of the visit, has been beefed up both on land and in the sea, as gunboats and military personnel, dispatched to strategic locations in Warri South-West were seen, while military vans were also seen on Saturday and Sunday patrolling flashpoints in the state.

Sources close to Smith told our correspondent on Sunday that operatives of the Joint Task Force, code-named: Operation Delta Safe, invaded the ex-militant leader’s home at Esiso Estate along Effurun/Sapele Road in Effurun, Uvwie Local Government Area in the late hours of Saturday.

The ex-militant leader was said to be holding a meeting with some members of the Ijaw Youth Council when the soldiers allegedly forcefully broke into his home before arresting him and seven others, whose identities were not known as of the time of filing this report.

It was further learnt that some other ex-agitators were also arrested on Saturday by the military and were held at the Warri Naval Base of the Nigerian Navy Ship Delta awaiting to be moved to the Defence Headquarters in Abuja.

Smith was only recently appointed by Governor Ifeanyi Okowa as a member of the state’s Land and Waterways Security Committee, charged with the responsibility of working with security agencies to ensure peace in the state.

The Commander, NNS Delta, Commodore Joseph Dzunve, when contacted on the telephone on Sunday, confirmed that several persons were arrested and were being held at the Naval Base Warri. He declined to give details of the arrest.

The spokesman for the IYC, Mr. Eric Omare, confirmed the arrest of the ex-militants in a statement issued on Sunday in Warri, describing the arrest as primitive and capable of fuelling restiveness in the region.

The statement read in part, “The Ijaw Youth Council states that the Federal Government is inciting crisis in the Niger Delta by the continued invasion, arrest and detention of Niger Deltans, especially ex-agitators, without any justifiable reason. The latest of such invasion and arrest is the commando-style arrest of ex-agitator, Bounanawei Smith, alias King of the Forest.

“Mr. Bounanawei was arrested in his guest house by military men while hosting some Ijaw Youth Council members. They invaded and ransacked the whole of his guest house and some of the IYC members who were with him narrowly escaped death when the military officers shot sporadically into his apartment.

“The IYC condemn this naked, primitive and unwarranted display of force. It is on record that Mr. Bounanawei had since accepted amnesty and had been very active in maintaining peace and security in the Niger Delta especially in Delta State.”

The IYC recalled that the invasion, arrest and detention of Niger Deltans by the military had become a norm in the region.

“On January 1, 2017, while the entire world was celebrating the New Year, military officers invaded Gbaraun community, Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, shot into the community, arrested a youth leader, Kalami Inakemeduo, under the guise that he is a militant and he is being detained up till this moment.

“This is in addition to several other Ijaw youths languishing in military detention such as Aboy Muturu, Ezekiel Daniel, Victor Odogu (the IYC spokesman, Abuja chapter) and several others. These persons have been in the DSS and military detention for more than eight months without trial and no reason has been given for their arrest,” the statement added.

The IYC, in the statement, demanded immediate release of all ex-militants arrested by the security agents including Smith, Aboy Muturu, Ezekiel Daniel, Victor Odogu, Kalami Inakemeduo and other Ijaws in detention across the country.

Comments

Politics

Adeleke: I Had No Electoral Deal With ADC

Published

on

OSUN State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has denied having any electoral agreement or partnership with the African Democratic Congress before, during or after the August 15 governorship election.

Adeleke made the clarification on Tuesday in a post on his verified X handle, saying his victory was achieved through the support of God and the people of Osun State.

The governor said the ADC was not part of the political coalition that campaigned and mobilised support for his re-election, describing the group of political allies that worked for his victory as a “rainbow coalition.”

He said, “I had no electoral deal or partnership with the ADC before, during, or after the governorship election.”

Adeleke added that it was important to put the record straight, stressing that the ADC was not part of the coalition that campaigned and mobilised support for his re-election.

“For the sake of history, it is important to clarify that the ADC was never part of the rainbow coalition that canvassed, mobilised, and supported our campaign in the battle leading to last Saturday’s election,” he said.

The governor thanked his political allies for their sacrifices and efforts during the campaign, noting that their commitment contributed to his victory at the poll.

Adeleke, who called for unity after the election, said he remained governor of all Osun residents regardless of their political affiliation, religion or tribe.

“Now that the election is over, I remain the Governor of all Osun people, irrespective of political affiliation, religion, or tribe. My commitment is to unite our people and continue working for the progress and prosperity of Osun State,” he said.

Adeleke defeated the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, and the ADC candidate, Najeem Salaam, in the keenly contested election.

The governor polled 511,067 votes to defeat Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes, while Salaam secured 17,180 votes.

Adeleke won in 19 of the 30 local government areas in the state, while Oyebamiji won the remaining 11.

Continue Reading

Politics

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Endorsement After Osun Victory

Published

on

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has renewed his endorsement of President Bola Tinubu for a second term in 2027, barely hours after he was declared winner of Saturday’s governorship election.

Adeleke, who secured a second term in office, also commended Tinubu for what he described as his support for a free, fair and credible electoral process.

The governor spoke in Osogbo on Sunday while reacting to his victory, which he dedicated to the people of Osun State.

“At this point, I must deeply appreciate Mr President, His Excellency Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for his strong support for a free and fair election,” Adeleke said.

“Mr President is a son of Osun State. And I hereby reaffirm my earlier endorsement of him for a second term in the 2027 presidential election.”

Adeleke thanked the people of the state for standing by him, saying their resilience and commitment to democracy had helped to produce the outcome of the election.

“In the last few months, Osun people have been under very intense pressure. Today, the issues are settled by the grace of God and the people.

“I therefore dedicate this victory to the good people of Osun State. I deeply appreciate your resilience, your strong will and your unwavering commitment to democracy,” he said.

The governor promised not to disappoint the electorate, saying his administration would build on its achievements and address areas where it had fallen short.

“As you have trusted me again for the second term in office, I will not disappoint you. To serve you better, I will reinforce my strong points and correct my errors,” Adeleke stated.

He also pledged to pursue accelerated development across the state under his renewed five-point agenda.

The Independent National Electoral Commission declared Adeleke the winner of the election in the early hours of Sunday.

The Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, announced in Osogbo that Adeleke polled 511,067 votes to defeat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes.

The candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Najeem Salaam, came third with 17,180 votes.

A total of 1,005,800 votes were cast across the 30 local government areas of the state, while 985,079 votes were declared valid.

INEC said 1,010,684 voters were accredited for the election, which was contested by candidates of 15 political parties.

Adeleke’s victory secures another four-year term for him and further strengthens his political position in Osun ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Tinubu tasks INEC, security agencies on credible Osun election

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has charged the Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies to ensure a peaceful, transparent and credible governorship election in Osun State.

Tinubu made the call in a statement issued on Friday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, ahead of Saturday’s poll.

The President urged INEC to uphold the integrity of the electoral process and ensure that voters are allowed to freely choose their preferred candidate.

“As the people of Osun State head to the polling units to elect who will govern them in the next four years, I call on the Independent National Electoral Commission to ensure orderly conduct of the election.

“The election must be transparent, free and fair. I urge INEC to ensure the integrity of the process,” he said.

Tinubu also urged the electoral commission to use the Osun election as an opportunity to demonstrate its preparedness for the 2027 general elections.

“INEC must use this last off-cycle election as a test case to demonstrate to Nigerians their full preparedness for the 2027 polls,” the President added.

The President also charged the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, and other security chiefs deployed for the election to provide adequate security at polling units and prevent attempts to disrupt the exercise.

“I have charged the Inspector-General of Police and other heads of security outfits taking part in the election to provide maximum security at polling units. No room should be allowed for troublemakers to disrupt the process,” Tinubu said.

He stressed the need to protect voters and electoral officials, urging residents to participate in the election without fear or intimidation.

“Electoral officials and voters must be protected so they can perform their civic duties without fear or intimidation. Voters should feel confident to go out in their numbers to vote for the candidate of their choice, as all measures necessary to ensure a peaceful, free and fair election have been put in place.

“Our elections must be credible, and the outcome of the Osun Governorship election must reflect the will of the people,” he said.

Tinubu further urged voters to exercise their civic responsibility peacefully and avoid actions capable of undermining the conduct of the election.

More than 25,000 security personnel have been deployed across the state for the poll, while INEC has said preparations are on course.

With 15 candidates on the ballot, the election is expected to be keenly contested as voters across the state’s 30 local government areas elect a governor for the next four years.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending