Community leaders from Saki, Oyo state, the country home of Nigerian Communications Minister, Barrister Adebayo Shittu, on Friday expressed fear as the Minister threatened to demolish a N20m Fire Service Station.
Also, they noted that it was sad that the Station aimed to serve the needs of people of Saki and other neighbouring towns during emergencies has been targeted for demolition.
Shittu’s Kinsmen including the National President of Saki Parapo, Alhaji Sule Lawal, the Akeweje of Saki, Chief Raimi Akande, Caretaker Committee Chairman, Saki West Local Government, Alhaji Kareem Adegoke and his counterpart from Wewe Local Council Development Area said the Minister had on Thursday in Saki promised to raze the station.
While urging the minister to rescind the planned demolition, a retired Permanent Secretary in the state, Alhaji Raimi Akande who spoke on behalf of the elders, on Friday during a press conference held in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital said “We are not here to destroy anybody or Bayo Shittu. He is my brother, I contributed to his education.
“As a retired permanent secretary, you know my take home monthly; I am not contesting for any post or looking for commissioner at my age. But we assure you that our coming here is not to blackmail anybody.
“Though, there are several others in Oke-ogun eyeing the governorship seat, but if APC gives him the ticket, Saki is ready to support him. We are not here to blackmail him but to say the truth. He boasted to destroy the fire station and we have to entertain fear as he promised yesterday (Thursday). We expect our son even to be magnanimous but, he insisted.
“We are not here to disown him. Yes he was given an award by Parapo to recognise him but he was not the only one. The fire service station is not for Saki alone, it is for Oke-Ogun area.
“Our stand is that we are looking for amicable settlement. You know, when two elephants are fighting, it is the grasses that suffer. We want ICT and the Fire Service Station, that is why we have to cry to you people.
“Two, we expect our son to say that I give this land to you and I will look for another one.
“Three, we have told the Chairman to allocate another land for him which he has done, what else? Shittu is still our son and we are ready to help him”, he added.
Earlier in his remarks, the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Saki West Local Government, Alhaji Adegoke Kareem accused the Minister of using his personal interest to override the public interest.
Adegoke, who noted that the said land belongs to Saki West Local Government and not the Minister, further explained that the same land which the Minister intends to erect a Computer Based Test, CBT, Centre had been allocated to Fire Service for the construction of a station.
The council chief, however cautioned Shittu to stop fighting a war of blame because it will be suicidal for him to allow his personal interest to override the interest of the public, the people of Saki, his hometown and other neighbouring towns and villages in the Oke-Ogun area.
In his words, “Oke Dio, Ajumose Estate, those are the government landed property in Saki West LG. In year 2000 when private schools begin to spread, certain individuals came to the LG to request for land and by then the LG have a place headed by Chairman.
“NTA, Al-Sunna, Redeemed Church requested for land some years back, Bayo Shittu requested for land; all these private individuals brought a reminder letter. The Committee sat, invited them and allocations were made.
“Alhaji Adebayo Shittu was given a piece of land where he built his school and he was asked to pay N80,000 and he was to pay N3,240 per annum as ground rent . He has since paid that N80,000 but between 2000 to 2018, 18 years, the Minister had not paid one kobo for the ground rent.
“Now after all these lands were allocated, there was a small piece left, Bayo Shittu wanted to annex it with his school, the council management went against it because that land has been allotted to DSS. But DSS said that land was small.
“The Fire Service approached Parapo. Let me remind you that in year 2005, Oyo State House of Assembly legislated that we should have a befitting ultra modern fire station. The approval was given by the then Commissioner for Water, which means fire service had already gotten an approval to construct fire station.
“All that land in Oke-Dio belongs to the government. Two plots were allocated to Parapo for onward transmission to Fire Service. Now fire service took the letter given to it by the Ministry of Land to the Ministry of Works to do the Survey. They surveyed that land and got titled document. Parapo has no document.
“In this dispensation, Alhaji Bayo Shittu was nominated a Minister and became a minister. He came home and Parapo approached him; they requested for communal assistance. He asked if they could get a piece of land to build an ICT Centre but mistakenly, they gave him the same land that was given to Fire Service.
“Bayo has no titled document, no C of O, no letter of consent. Fire Service came to Ibadan and reported that the land given to them has been given to Bayo Shittu to build ICT centre; that is how the trouble started.
“I, as the Chairman of the Local Government, invited eminent persons, noble persons, we deliberated on this issue. It was agreed that the fire service is more important. It is not meaningful to site a fire station outside the town, fire station should be centrally located. That was the argument.
“We said we should look for another piece of land and give to Bayo Shittu and allow fire station to construct their station. That was the agreement. Two days after, Bayo went to court asking them to set aside the construction. The fire service is not joined in the suit, they are constructing their station.
“That land, Bayo Shittu has no development on it, no survey, no deed, nothing. So the fire service just went there to construct. He swore an oath of allegiance as a public servant but is he now using his personal interest to override public interest?”, Adegoke questioned.
#ENDSARS: Buhari to address the Nation at 7pm on Thursday
President Muhammadu Buhari will make will make a national broadcast Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 7pm.
This was stated in a Press Statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adriana
According to him, “Following detailed briefing by security chiefs on the current situation in the country, President Muhammadu Buhari
”Television, radio and other electronic media outlets are enjoined to hook up to the network services of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and Radio Nigeria respectively for the broadcast”.
#ENDSARS: ‘Military offensive on protesters is an abomination, Akande -Sadipe talks tough
The Chairperson, House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora Affairs, Hon. Tolulope Akande-Sadipe has called on President Muhammed Buhari to address the killing of unarmed protesters across the nation, while condemning the killing of protesters by Armed Security operatives in the country.
Tolulope Akande Sadipe in a statement made available to journalists on Wednesday said, “I weep for my beloved country, Nigeria. This is the Darkest Moment in our Nation. The Current Action is Unacceptable”.
She wondered why men of the Nigerian Army turned on the people they were meant to Protect, firing live bullets at citizens holding the Nigerian Flag and chanting the National Anthem, describing such as an “Abomination”.
“I, as a member of the House of Representatives cannot keep quiet in the midst of this abominable action. I was duly elected to be the voice of my people and my people are weeping”, she said.
She opined that the protests were about a generation trying to end the systematic rot that pervades the society, which had eaten deep into the fabrics of the Nation.
The APC chieftain continued, “We need to be honest with one another on this matter. We need to face the truth on ground. The youths were out there because they are tired and fed up of victimization, daily oppression, injustice, unemployment, untapped talents, lack of opportunity, poor healthcare, poor education and lack of infrastructure and power across the Nation. The Youths are protesting for a better future for themselves and their children. The #EndSARS PROTEST stands for the systematic ROT in our Nation.
“This was about the realities on ground. This was about the ROT since independence. This was about genuine service to the people who elected us to represent them. This was not about the President, this was not about the current administration, this was not about North and South, this was not about Religion. This was not about party affiliation. This was about a Generation trying to end the systematic ROT that pervades our society”.
Speaking against the backdrop that there are some external forces pushing for the destruction of Nigeria, the lawmaker representing Oluyole Federal Constituency said the Federal Government should genuinely address issues.
“Those alluding, that there is a 5th Columnist within or external, there is a solution. If there is a 5th columnist or external negative force, pushing for the destruction of Nigeria, if we do the right thing, by genuinely addressing the issues that have led to the distrust between leadership and our youths, by addressing the rot that has pervaded our Nation. The 5th columnist in our midst or external negative force, would fail. But with this action, what have we said to the Youth and to the world.
“This is the time to make the wrongs right and it is not by bringing out the Army to shoot its own citizens, that we achieve this. We can still put a stop to this inferno. We must realize that no position is permanent and it is the country we make that we shall all live in”, she added.
Concluding, she empathized with all the families of fallen Youth Patriots, praying that their death would not be in vain.
Nigeria Excluded From 2022 US Visa Lottery
Nigeria has been barred from the US visa lottery application for 2022, a document obtained from the US Government website showed.
In a 19-page document published on the website, Nigeria is the only African country barred from the visa lottery.
“For DV-2022, persons born in the following countries are not eligible to apply, because more than, 50,000 natives of these countries immigrated to the United States in the previous five years: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (including Hong Kong SAR), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam,” the document read. “Persons born in Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible.”
Although natives of other African countries are allowed to apply, the document explained that “persons born in the areas administered prior to June 1967 by Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Egypt are chargeable, respectively, to Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Egypt,” it said.
“Persons born in the Gaza Strip are chargeable to Egypt; persons born in the West Bank are chargeable to Jordan; persons born in the Golan Heights are chargeable to Syria.”
In the document captioned “Instructions for the 2022 diversity immigrant visa program (dv-2022),” applicants must meet certain guidelines to be eligible for the visa lottery.
“The Department of State determines selectees through a randomized computer drawing,” the statement added.
“The Department of State distributes diversity visas among six geographic regions, and no single country may receive more than seven per cent of the available DVs in any one year.”
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
Politics2 days ago
Exclusive: Ex-Oyo SSG, Alli may lose more loyalists
News1 week ago
Oyo: Makinde Mother’s Burial Holds December
Crime & Court1 week ago
#EndSARS: Makinde Frees 6 Suspects Arrested At Ogbomoso’s Protest
National Issues6 days ago
#ENDSARS: ‘Military offensive on protesters is an abomination, Akande -Sadipe talks tough