Connect with us

Sports

Rubiales Could Face Further Suspension After Kiss As Sports Court Meet

Published

on

In this handout image released by the Spanish Royal Football Federation (RFEF) on August 25, 2023, RFEF President Luis Rubiales delivers a speech during an extraordinary general assembly of the federation on August 25, 2023 in Las Rozas de Madrid. (Photo by Eidan RUBIO / RFEF / AFP)

Suspended Spanish football chief Luis Rubiales could face further domestic sanctions as the country’s top sports court meets Monday to examine complaints against him for forcibly kissing Women’s World Cup star Jenni Hermoso.

World football governing body FIFA provisionally suspended Rubiales for 90 days on Saturday but the 46-year-old could face a longer suspension from the Spanish government, if the sports court opens proceedings against Rubiales for “very serious” offences or an “abuse of authority”.

Spain’s top sports court (TAD) began meeting online from 1100 GMT.

The Spanish government has said it will take action against Rubiales if the sports court gives them the go-ahead.

“If the court upholds the complaint and begins to process that case, we can request the provisional suspension of the president of the RFEF (the football federation) until TAD finishes analysing it and takes their decision,” Sports Minister Miquel Iceta said on Friday.

Spain midfielder Hermoso says Rubiales’ kiss before Spain lifted the World Cup trophy in Sydney was not consensual, despite his claims to the contrary, and 81 players went on strike from the women’s side in protest after the federation chief refused to resign.

In a powerful statement on Friday, Hermoso said: “I felt vulnerable and a victim of an assault, an impulsive, macho act, out of place and with no type of consent on my part.”

As many as 11 members of women’s football staff in the Spanish football federation have also resigned from their posts, although controversial Spain women’s coach Jorge Vilda did not, although he has criticised Rubiales’ conduct.

The federation, under interim president Pedro Rocha, have called a new emergency meeting for Monday afternoon between presidents of the regional federations, a source close to the matter told AFP.

The president of the CSD, Victor Francos, will speak about the Rubiales situation and any potential measures the government can take later Monday.

“The only sanctions provided for by the Sports Law are to impose a fine or ineligibility for a period of between two and fifteen years,” sports lawyer Toni Roca said in an interview on Spanish public television Sunday.

Worldwide Criticism 

Criticism of Rubiales mounted last week after he kissed Hermoso following Spain’s World Cup final victory over England on August 20.

Andres Iniesta, who scored the only goal in the 2010 men’s World Cup final to give Spain the trophy for the first time, said Rubiales’ conduct had “tarnished” the women’s achievement.

“I believe that we cannot tolerate actions like the ones we have seen, which have tarnished such a great milestone as winning a World Cup,” Iniesta said on social media.

“(Instead of celebrating) we have had to put up with a president who has clung on to his position, who has not admitted that his behaviour has been unacceptable and is damaging the image of our country and our football around the world.

“It’s a shame that a beautiful story that so many players have built over so many years has been soiled.”

Many women’s players around the world, including those from World Cup runners-up England, have raised their voices in support of Hermoso.

Fewer have in the men’s game, although Real Betis striker Borja Iglesias retired from the Spanish national team in protest against Rubiales’ conduct and refusal to resign.

Iglesias was applauded by Athletic Bilbao fans at the San Mames on Sunday as he came on as a substitute in a La Liga match.

Sevilla players appeared on Saturday before their game against Girona in t-shirts with a slogan reading ‘It’s Over’ — a message in support of Hermoso and the striking Spanish players, who began using that phrase on social media when speaking about the issue

 

 

Comments

Sports

Oyo APC Demands Probe of N5.5bn Lekan Salami Stadium Renovation

Published

on

The Oyo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and other anti-graft agencies to investigate the N5.5bn reportedly spent on the renovation of the Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan, by the administration of Governor Seyi Makinde.

The party made the call following the reported rejection of the stadium by the Confederation of African Football as a venue for Shooting Stars Sports Club’s continental campaign.

Shooting Stars secured qualification for continental football after about 28 years but will reportedly play its home matches in Abeokuta after the Ibadan stadium failed to meet CAF’s requirements.

In a statement made available to journalists in Ibadan on Tuesday, the Oyo APC Publicity Secretary, Olawale Sadare, described the development as disappointing and embarrassing to the state.

The party alleged that the CAF decision had raised questions about the quality of work carried out at the stadium and the funds reportedly committed to its renovation.

Sadare said the state government should explain why a facility said to have gulped N5.5bn could not secure approval to host a continental competition.

He said, “Everyone in the state should ask Governor Makinde to explain the circumstances surrounding the stadium’s failure to secure approval for the CAF Confederation Cup and provide details of the funds committed to its renovation and upgrading.”

The APC also criticised what it described as the alleged delivery of substandard projects by the Makinde administration, citing the recent erosion that reportedly damaged part of a road project in Bodija shortly after its commissioning.

The party said the stadium’s failure to host Shooting Stars’ continental fixtures was particularly unfortunate because the club’s return to African competition after nearly three decades should have provided Oyo State with an opportunity to showcase its sporting infrastructure to a wider African audience.

The APC therefore urged the EFCC and other relevant anti-graft agencies to investigate the award and execution of the stadium project, establish how the funds were spent and make anyone found culpable to face the law.

It also called on the state government to urgently address the deficiencies identified at the stadium and ensure that the facility is upgraded to meet international standards and capable of hosting major continental competitions in the future.

Continue Reading

Sports

UCL Final: ‘I hope last year’s loss to PSG still hurts’ – Wilshere messages Arsenal

Published

on

By

Wilshere messages Arsenal

Former Arsenal star, Jack Wilshere, has sent a message to the Gunners ahead of their UEFA Champions League final with Paris Saint-Germain.

Arsenal will take on the French Ligue 1 giants in the Champions League final this year in Budapest on Saturday evening.

Mikel Arteta’s side had lost 3-1 on aggregate against PSG in the Champions League semi-final stage last year.

Speaking on TNT Sports (via GOAL), Wilshere remembered Arsenal about their last year’s defeat to PSG and urged them to use it as a revenge to get a win against Luis Enrique’s side when both sides meet again this weekend.

“Now that the Premier League is over the line, I know that the Premier League was the one. I know that Mikel wanted that. I know that the boys wanted that,” Wilshere said.

“Now you have to go through some tough times and learn from it. I hope that the Champions League semi-final [PSG 3-1 Arsenal] last year hurt them enough that they can go on and use that [against PSG].

“I think when you are on the pitch, and you are playing against your direct opponent, you learn so much about them. And to face them next year, they will be better for that.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Ajibade: Super Falcons Eye World Dominance as Tinubu Rewards Team with Honours, Houses, Cash

Published

on

 

Captain of the Super Falcons, Rasheedat Ajibade, has said the team is determined to become the best women’s football team in the world.

Ajibade spoke yesterday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during a reception hosted by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in honour of the Falcons following their victory at the 2024 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) in Morocco.

The Nigerian ladies clinched their 10th continental title after a hard-fought campaign, further cementing their status as Africa’s most successful women’s team.

Ajibade, in an emotional speech, said the team’s goal goes beyond continental glory.

“We’re not content to rest on our laurels. Our vision is bold. We want to become the best women’s football team in the world,” the Atletico Madrid star said.

She described herself as “a proud daughter of Nigeria” and paid tribute to the dreams of young girls across the country who look up to the team.

“This victory is not just a trophy. It is a testament to the unyielding spirit of Nigeria. It is a celebration of every young girl in our villages, towns, and cities who dares to dream,” she said.

Ajibade, who spoke on behalf of the team, coaches, and technical crew, thanked the Federal Government for its support and appealed for continued investment in women’s football.

President Tinubu, in his address, conferred national honours of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) on all 24 players and the 11-member technical crew.

The President also approved the allocation of three-bedroom apartments to each team member under the Renewed Hope Housing Scheme and a cash reward of the naira equivalent of $100,000 for each player, while members of the technical team received $50,000 each.

He praised the Falcons for lifting the nation’s spirit and inspiring unity through their performance.

“You have inspired millions, especially young girls who now see proof that their dreams are valid and achievable,” Tinubu said.

“You have inspired me too. You represent the hope of today, tomorrow, and the day after. You ignited that hope. And we will continue to encourage you and the next generation.”

The President said the Falcons’ WAFCON victory was not just a sporting feat but a symbol of the courage, discipline and resilience that define Nigerians.

“Your victory represents more than a sporting accomplishment. It is a triumph of courage, determination, discipline, and consistency,” he said.

The reception was attended by top government officials, sports administrators, and stakeholders in the football community.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending