Connect with us

Sports

PSG appoint Luis Enrique as new coach

Published

on

Former Barcelona and Spain coach Luis Enrique has been appointed as the new coach of Paris Saint-Germain on a two-year deal, the French champions announced on Wednesday.

The 53-year-old, who had been a free agent since being sacked as Spain coach last December, replaces Christophe Galtier after his departure from the club was confirmed earlier in the day.

Luis Enrique was unveiled by PSG at a press conference alongside the Qatar-backed club’s president Nasser al-Khelaifi at their brand new training complex in Poissy, to the north-west of the French capital.

“I’m delighted to be joining Paris in order to enjoy a new experience,” Luis Enrique said in a club statement.

“It’s so exciting to meet new people, to live in this city, to learn a new language and, above all, to manage PSG.”

The new coach, whose full name is Luis Enrique Martinez Garcia, is the eighth man to lead the club since the transformative Qatari takeover of 2011 and, like those before him, will be charged with bringing them the success in the Champions League that has so far proved elusive.

PSG have never won Europe’s most prestigious club competition, coming closest when they lost in the final to Bayern Munich in 2020.

They have gone out in the last 16 in five of the last seven seasons, losing to Bayern at that stage in the campaign just finished. That defeat proved costly for Galtier.

Luis Enrique arrives with pedigree in the Champions League, having won it as coach of Barcelona in 2015 when a brilliant team led by an attack of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez beat Juventus in the final.

He now joins a club beginning their latest rebuild following the departure of Messi at the end of his two-year stay.

Mbappe future in doubt

There are doubts surrounding the future of superstar forward Kylian Mbappe after he told the club he would not renew a contract that expires next year.

Several high-profile new signings are expected to be confirmed as the club prepares to start pre-season training in the coming days, with a tour to Japan scheduled for later this month.

Luis Enrique brought to an end a three-year stay at Barca in 2017 and then became Spain coach in 2018.

However, he quit in June 2019 and announced the death of his nine-year-old daughter from bone cancer two months later.

He returned to the Spain post in November of that year, retaking the reins from Robert Moreno, and took La Roja to the Euro 2020 semi-finals and the 2021 UEFA Nations League final before being fired after their elimination from last year’s World Cup in the last 16 in a penalty shoot-out against Morocco.

Galtier had only been in charge for one season and still had a year to run on his contract, but his departure had been expected ever since the end of the last Ligue 1 season a month ago.

“Paris Saint-Germain and Christophe Galtier have decided to terminate his contract as coach of the first team,” the club said in a statement.

“Everyone at Paris Saint-Germain thanks Christophe Galtier, as well as his assistants Thierry Oleksiak and Joao Sacramento, for their professionalism and commitment over the course of the season, and wishes them the best in their future careers.”

Galtier led PSG to a French record 11th title but that success was also overshadowed by their disappointing exit from the Champions League and a French Cup last-16 loss to Marseille.

The final weeks of Galtier’s reign were also marred by accusations that he made racist remarks about players during his previous job at Nice.

He has vehemently denied the accusations but will stand trial in December on charges of “moral harassment and discrimination on the grounds of actual or supposed membership or non-membership of a particular ethnic group, nation, alleged race or religion”, according to prosecutors in Nice.

The offences are punishable by three years’ imprisonment and a 45,000-euro ($49,000) fine.

 

Comments

Sports

Oyo APC Demands Probe of N5.5bn Lekan Salami Stadium Renovation

Published

on

The Oyo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and other anti-graft agencies to investigate the N5.5bn reportedly spent on the renovation of the Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan, by the administration of Governor Seyi Makinde.

The party made the call following the reported rejection of the stadium by the Confederation of African Football as a venue for Shooting Stars Sports Club’s continental campaign.

Shooting Stars secured qualification for continental football after about 28 years but will reportedly play its home matches in Abeokuta after the Ibadan stadium failed to meet CAF’s requirements.

In a statement made available to journalists in Ibadan on Tuesday, the Oyo APC Publicity Secretary, Olawale Sadare, described the development as disappointing and embarrassing to the state.

The party alleged that the CAF decision had raised questions about the quality of work carried out at the stadium and the funds reportedly committed to its renovation.

Sadare said the state government should explain why a facility said to have gulped N5.5bn could not secure approval to host a continental competition.

He said, “Everyone in the state should ask Governor Makinde to explain the circumstances surrounding the stadium’s failure to secure approval for the CAF Confederation Cup and provide details of the funds committed to its renovation and upgrading.”

The APC also criticised what it described as the alleged delivery of substandard projects by the Makinde administration, citing the recent erosion that reportedly damaged part of a road project in Bodija shortly after its commissioning.

The party said the stadium’s failure to host Shooting Stars’ continental fixtures was particularly unfortunate because the club’s return to African competition after nearly three decades should have provided Oyo State with an opportunity to showcase its sporting infrastructure to a wider African audience.

The APC therefore urged the EFCC and other relevant anti-graft agencies to investigate the award and execution of the stadium project, establish how the funds were spent and make anyone found culpable to face the law.

It also called on the state government to urgently address the deficiencies identified at the stadium and ensure that the facility is upgraded to meet international standards and capable of hosting major continental competitions in the future.

Continue Reading

Sports

UCL Final: ‘I hope last year’s loss to PSG still hurts’ – Wilshere messages Arsenal

Published

on

By

Wilshere messages Arsenal

Former Arsenal star, Jack Wilshere, has sent a message to the Gunners ahead of their UEFA Champions League final with Paris Saint-Germain.

Arsenal will take on the French Ligue 1 giants in the Champions League final this year in Budapest on Saturday evening.

Mikel Arteta’s side had lost 3-1 on aggregate against PSG in the Champions League semi-final stage last year.

Speaking on TNT Sports (via GOAL), Wilshere remembered Arsenal about their last year’s defeat to PSG and urged them to use it as a revenge to get a win against Luis Enrique’s side when both sides meet again this weekend.

“Now that the Premier League is over the line, I know that the Premier League was the one. I know that Mikel wanted that. I know that the boys wanted that,” Wilshere said.

“Now you have to go through some tough times and learn from it. I hope that the Champions League semi-final [PSG 3-1 Arsenal] last year hurt them enough that they can go on and use that [against PSG].

“I think when you are on the pitch, and you are playing against your direct opponent, you learn so much about them. And to face them next year, they will be better for that.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Ajibade: Super Falcons Eye World Dominance as Tinubu Rewards Team with Honours, Houses, Cash

Published

on

 

Captain of the Super Falcons, Rasheedat Ajibade, has said the team is determined to become the best women’s football team in the world.

Ajibade spoke yesterday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during a reception hosted by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in honour of the Falcons following their victory at the 2024 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) in Morocco.

The Nigerian ladies clinched their 10th continental title after a hard-fought campaign, further cementing their status as Africa’s most successful women’s team.

Ajibade, in an emotional speech, said the team’s goal goes beyond continental glory.

“We’re not content to rest on our laurels. Our vision is bold. We want to become the best women’s football team in the world,” the Atletico Madrid star said.

She described herself as “a proud daughter of Nigeria” and paid tribute to the dreams of young girls across the country who look up to the team.

“This victory is not just a trophy. It is a testament to the unyielding spirit of Nigeria. It is a celebration of every young girl in our villages, towns, and cities who dares to dream,” she said.

Ajibade, who spoke on behalf of the team, coaches, and technical crew, thanked the Federal Government for its support and appealed for continued investment in women’s football.

President Tinubu, in his address, conferred national honours of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) on all 24 players and the 11-member technical crew.

The President also approved the allocation of three-bedroom apartments to each team member under the Renewed Hope Housing Scheme and a cash reward of the naira equivalent of $100,000 for each player, while members of the technical team received $50,000 each.

He praised the Falcons for lifting the nation’s spirit and inspiring unity through their performance.

“You have inspired millions, especially young girls who now see proof that their dreams are valid and achievable,” Tinubu said.

“You have inspired me too. You represent the hope of today, tomorrow, and the day after. You ignited that hope. And we will continue to encourage you and the next generation.”

The President said the Falcons’ WAFCON victory was not just a sporting feat but a symbol of the courage, discipline and resilience that define Nigerians.

“Your victory represents more than a sporting accomplishment. It is a triumph of courage, determination, discipline, and consistency,” he said.

The reception was attended by top government officials, sports administrators, and stakeholders in the football community.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending