Connect with us

News

Oyo commissioner, Olatunbosun urges citizens to disregard panic messages over ultimatum to herdsmen

Published

on

Oyo State Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Dr. Wasiu Olatubosun has disclosed that citizens of the State should disregard a voice note message urging people in Ibadan to stay indoors on Friday 22nd of January due to a purported ultimatum issued by some individuals to a Fulani Community in Igangan, Ibarapa area of Oyo State.

Recall that the State governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde has warned individuals to respect the constitutional rights of any Nigerian to live anywhere in the country in a peaceful manner and condemned the said ultimatum in a state broadcast to the people of the state

A voice note, being circulated on Wednesday by one woman from London simply known as ‘Remi’ has urged residents of Ibadan to stay indoors on Friday so as to avoid any crisis that might arise from the outcome of the ultimatum issued to the Fulani Herdsmen Community in Igangan.

Olatubosun said the message was targeted at causing panic among the people and to tarnish the efforts of the present administration in tackling insecurity in the State.

He said Oyo State indigenes at home and in the diaspora ought to give support to the government and not to cause disaffection and unnecessary panic over an issue that has been adequately addressed by the government and concerned security agencies.

He added that the people of the State, especially in Ibadan should go about their businesses without fear of molestation or attack from any quarter.

“It is funny to hear that somebody was sending voice note from London, warning Ibadan people not to venture out on Friday because of an ultimatum issued to a Fulani Herdsmen Community in Igangan, in Ibarapa area.

“This is an issue that has been addressed by the government that nobody has the power to give such ultimatum, the constitution of Nigeria does not allow for it, especially when the said Community is not constituting security threat to lives and properties of the people.

“The government of Oyo State and security apparatus are working around the clock to give the people of the State the required peaceful atmosphere that will engender economic growth, we therefore urge our people, especially in Ibadan to ignore the voice note message and go about their normal businesses without fear of molestation or attack from any quarter.”

The commissioner called on the residents of the State to be wary of scaremongers who he said could create psychological crisis where such was not in existence.

ALSO READ  Your double standard is your albatross, Oyo APC tells Makinde
Comments

News

Imo: Gov. Uzodinma makes case for FCC, sponsors 4-day retreat

Published

on

Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodinma has canvassed for the strengthening of the laws establishing the Federal Character Commission  (FCC) to enable it perform its functions effectively.

Governor Uzodinma registered his position at a banquet the Imo state government hosted in honoured of the Executive Chairman and Commissioners of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) who were in the State for a retreat last week at the Government House, Owerri.

According to the Governor, the philosophy behind the establishment of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) was well thought out development, adding that to a great extent the Commission has assisted in efforts made at the unification of the country.

He noted that at this very trying moment of the country, the Commission needed to bring its functions to play to douse the tention giving assurance to the citizenry of a sense of belonging.

Senator Uzodinma stressed that it was in recognition of the great role of the Commission that the Imo State government opted to sponsor the retreat.

He admonished members to work together in harmony to enable the Commission deliver on its mandate.

In her remarks, the Executive Chairman, Federal Character Commission (FCC), Dr Muheeba Dankaka thanked the Governor and Imo State government for accepting to host the retreat. She said the out come of the  retreat will go a long way in assisting the Commission in its assignment.

The FCC boss, however called on state governors to also come to the aid of the Commission, particularly by assisting the State offices to function effectively.

ALSO READ  Police, EFCC, Others Should Investigate Makinde's Role In Kogi Election - Oyo APC
Continue Reading

News

Oyo: Kidnapped UI student regains freedom

Published

on

Victim of Monday’s kidnap attack at a  poultry farm in Oke Odan, Apete area of Ibadan, Oyo capital, Emmanuel Odetunde has been released.

It will be recalled that Odetunde was abducted around 5 pm on Monday while working at his father’s poultry. The abductors also demanded a ransom of N100m for his release.

Mega Icon Magazine, however learnt that the victim , a student of the University of Ibadan (UI) was released at 7:15pm Thursday .

 

In a tweet obtained by our reporter, via his Twitter handle @dr_emmay thanked friends, family and well wishers  for their prayers.

He also did not disclosed whether any ransom was paid or not.

“I was released at 7:15pm today. I am currently with my family.

“Thanks for the prayers. I appreciate @, Odetunde tweeted.

ALSO READ  Relocate Awotan dumpsite, Oyo APC chieftain advises Makinde
Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: Bandits kill 18 in Kaduna communities

Published

on

By

No fewer than 18 people in Giwa, Chikun and Igabi local government areas of Kaduna State have been reportedly killed by Bandits .

The state’s Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the ugly incident in a statement on Wednesday.

The three Local Government Areas, as learnt  have been under incessant attacks by bandits in recent time.

Aruwan, in the statement, explained that the bandits attacked Anaba village in Igabi local government area and killed seven people. He gave their names as Ali Musa, Isa Sharehu, Tijjani Isa, Auwalu Shehu, Hashim Abdullahi, Hassan Saidu and Umar Rilwanu.

According to him, many of the houses in the community were also burnt down by the bandits along with storehouses and barns, while they also rustled 20 cows during the operation.

The bandits, also attacked Barinje village in Chikun local government area killing eight persons, which included Sunday Gwamna, Lawal Jizo, Salha Barau, Sabo Barau, Umaru Barau, Muhammadu Dan Azumi, Zailani Dogara and Jikan Gambo.

The statement added that some residents of the village were also abducted, and cattle rustled during the attack, while an unspecified number of injured victims are currently receiving treatment in hospitals.

The  armed bandits, in another operation, attacked the loosely connected communities of Kwarten Rigasa, Kwarten Waziri and Kwarten Shaku in Igabi local government area.

The bandits reportedly emerged from the Buruku area, and raided the villages in a cattle rustling operation and In the process, killed one Danjuma Isa from neighboring Ungwan Kanti village as he made his way on foot to Kwarten Rigasa.

Similarly, armed bandits invaded Sanhu Makera village in Birnin Yero of Igabi local government area and killed one Yakubu Abdullahi, a farmer in the village, while

another person was killed by unknown assailants in unusual circumstances, at the Ministerial Pilot Housing Estate, Millennium City in Chikun local government area.

According to Aruwan, the attacks on soft targets at Anaba and Barinje villages in Igabi and Chikun LGAs respectively, followed the killing of several armed bandits through targeted air operations.

He disclosed that Air platforms had earlier conducted armed reconnaissance around Anaba village during which the crew observed houses on fire and locals migrating to nearby settlements.

He explains further that many bandits on motorcycles were neutralised by troops at Kankomi village and neighbouring communities as well as

Kuyanbana forest while many of them escaped with bullet wound.

The security agencies however appeal to the communities to report anyone found with suspicious bullet wounds to the Security Operations Room.

Governor Nasir El-Rufai has expressed sadness over the incidents and has sent his condolences to the families of all those killed in the attacks, while offering prayers for the repose of their souls. He also wishes the injured a quick recovery.

ALSO READ  Police, EFCC, Others Should Investigate Makinde's Role In Kogi Election - Oyo APC
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: