Lagos governor, Sanwo-Olu promises to structure minimum wage for workers - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

News

Lagos governor, Sanwo-Olu promises to structure minimum wage for workers

Published

on

Lagos state governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Thursday promised to structure the new minimum wage recently signed by President Muhammadu Buhari for the benefit of workers in the state.

In a statement issued by the Director of Public Affairs, Toro Oladapo, the governor stated this during a meeting with civil servants and permanent secretaries at the Secretariat in Ikeja, the state capital.

“On the issue around the minimum wage, we are going to sort that out very soon and I will make sure that whilst we do the work that we are meant to do, your take home will begin to take you home, but Lagosians have to feel it from day one from the way we speak to them and from the way we take their records”, the governor submitted.

Speaking during a familiarization tour of offices in the Secretariat, the governor acknowledged that there were challenges.

While urging the workers not to be deterred, he appealed to them to imbibe the right attitude to work, adding that they cannot afford to fail residents of the state at this critical time.

“I just want to say to Lagosians that new things will begin to happen. Yes, there are issues and that is why there is a word issue.

ALSO READ  Again, NYSC Arrest Two ‘Fake’ Corps Members In Katsina

“There will be issues, there will be challenges but out of it, looking at all your faces, we cannot afford to fail the citizens at this period.

“So, my charge is this: whatever we know that we are not doing so well even in the period of Ramadan, let’s ask God for forgiveness, he said.

Similarly, Sanwo-Olu further  admonished the civil servants to be agents of change, assuring them that their concerns would be addressed.

He, wants them to reciprocate his good intention through hard work and innovations to bring about the desired changes and development.

He was accompanied by the Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat and the Head of Service (HOS), Mr. Hakeem Muri-Okunola acknowledged amid cheers from the civil servants and heads of parastatals who were on ground to receive him.

Continue Reading
Comments

News

29 million babies born into conflict in 2018 – UNICEF

Published

on

By

More than 29 million babies were born into conflict-affected areas in 2018, UNICEF said today.

Armed violence across countries including Afghanistan, Somalia, South Sudan, Syria and Yemen meant that, throughout last year, more than 1 in 5 babies globally spent their earliest moments in communities affected by the chaos of conflict, often in deeply unsafe, and highly stressful environments.

“Every parent should be able to cherish their baby’s first moments, but for the millions of families living through conflict, the reality is far bleaker,” said UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore. “In countries around the world, violent conflict has severely limited access to essential services for parents and their babies. Millions of families lack access to nutritious food, safe water, sanitation, or a secure and healthy environment to grow and bond. Along with the immediate, obvious dangers, the long-term impacts of such a start in life are potentially catastrophic.”

When young children experience prolonged or repeated adverse and traumatic events, the brain’s stress management system is activated without relief causing ‘toxic stress’. Over time, stress chemicals break down existing neural connections and inhibit new ones from forming, leading to lasting consequences for children’s learning, behaviour, and physical and mental health.

Examples of the impact of conflict on babies and young children – given by UNICEF staff working in conflict zones – include:

  • “Some of the young children we see shake with fear, uncontrollably, for hours on end. They don’t sleep. You can hear them whimpering, it’s not a usual cry but a cold, weak whimper. Others are so malnourished and traumatized they detach emotionally from the world and people around them, causing them to become vacant and making it impossible for them to interact with their families,” UNICEF worker in Yemen.
  • “My son, five-year-old Heraab, finds himself in a community where he is constantly exposed to the sounds of explosions, smell of smoke, accompanied by the regular shrieking of sirens, be it police or ambulance, or the persistent honking of cars and motorbikes rushing the injured to hospital.  He shudders and wakes up at night if a truck passes by with speed, sometimes shaking the windows of our house, thinking it must be another attack,” UNICEF worker in Afghanistan.
ALSO READ  Oyegun reacts after APC Governors dump him for Buhari

 

  • “Some of the children are scared and look very anxious, others are very aggressive. They are frightened of visitors and flee when they see visiting vehicles coming. The cars remind them of fighting, war weaponry they need to flee from,” UNICEF worker in Somalia.

 

  • “I’ve travelled to the hardest to reach areas of South Sudan to help provide humanitarian assistance to children who have been forced to flee their villages because of violence. With no basic services, no health facilities, poor sanitation, no food, and deep-set trauma, families struggle to survive. I see despair in the eyes of the children I meet. The conflict has taken away their childhood,” UNICEF worker in South Sudan.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the landmark Convention on the Rights of the Child, in which, among other things, governments pledged to protect and care for children affected by conflict. Yet today, more countries are embroiled in internal or international conflict than at any other time in the past three decades, threatening the safety and wellbeing of millions of children. Hospitals, health centres and child friendly spaces – all of which provide critical services to parents and babies – have come under attack in conflicts around the world in recent years.

ALSO READ  JUST IN: Police Officers Arrested For Extra Judicial Killings

Providing safe spaces for families and their young children living through conflict – where children can use play and early learning as outlets for some of the trauma they have experienced; and providing psychosocial support to children – and their families – are critical parts of UNICEF’s humanitarian response.

When caregivers are given the support they need to cope with and process trauma, they have the best possible chance of providing their young children with the nurturing care needed for healthy brain development – acting as a ‘buffer’ from the chaos around them.

“Parents who interact with their babies can help shield them from the negative neurological effects of conflict. Yet, in times of conflict, parents are frequently overwhelmed,” said Fore. “Ultimately what these families need is peace, but until then they desperately need more support to help them and their children cope with the devastation they face – 29 million new lives and futures depend on it.”

Continue Reading

News

Wanted Rwandan warlord killed by DR Congo troops

Published

on

By

A Rwandan Hutu rebel leader wanted by the International Criminal Court on war crime charges has been shot dead by the Congolese army, DRC military spokesperson said on Wednesday in what Kigali described as “good news for peace”.

Sylvestre Mudacumura, commander of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), was “definitively neutralised” in DRC’s North Kivu province on Tuesday night, General Leon-Richard Kasonga said.

Mudacumura, wanted for charges including rape, torture, and pillage, was killed about 60 kilometres (37 miles) from the capital of the province Goma.

Neighbouring Rwanda welcomed the news, saying it proved DRC President Felix Tshisekedi’s commitment to fighting “negative forces”.

“The death of Sylvestre Mudacumura is good news for peace and security in the region,” Rwandan state minister for regional affairs Olivier Nduhungirehe told AFP.

“With his genocide group, the FDLR, he was destabilising DRC, killing Congolese and Rwandans.”

The FDLR was created by Rwandan Hutu refugees in eastern DRC after the genocide of Tutsis by majority Hutus in Rwanda in 1994.

According to the United Nations, the force numbers between 500 and 600 active fighters.

They are scattered across the mineral-rich eastern Congolese provinces of North and South Kivu as well as in southern Katanga, and the group is regularly accused of committing atrocities against civilians in the zones it controls.

ALSO READ  Details of Buhari’s meeting with Southeast govs, Ekweremadu emerge

“His death confirms the commitment of President Felix Tshisekedi in fighting negative forces and will open a new era of good and peaceful cooperation between DRC and countries in the region,” Nduhungirehe said.

The FDLR, opposed to the current Rwandan government, has not launched any large-scale offensive in Rwanda since 2001.

– Warning to other warlords –
Eastern DRC has been torn for more than two decades by armed conflicts fed by ethnic and land disputes, competition for control of a wealth of mineral resources and regional rivalries.

Mudacumura’s death “is a strong signal for other rebels,” said General Richard Kasonga, spokesman of the Congolese army, calling it a “big step” in the fight against insecurity and terrorism.

He called on “all armed groups to lay down their arms, or face the same fate as Mudacumura.”

During a visit to the region early this month, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres also called on the rebels to disarm.

US researcher Jason Stearn said the death was “an extremely important event”, telling AFP that the FDLR is “one of the biggest armed groups in the region, even if they have diminished in capacity.”

However, Stearn, of New York University’s Congo Research Group, held out little hope for peace in a region where around 130 armed groups remain active.

ALSO READ  Oyo: Catholic church protests over incessant killings in Nigeria

“We have seen a lot of commanders die without the groups necessarily disappearing or diminishing in force,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Japan: OPU prominent member needs  ¥20 million for kidney transplant, seeks financial assistance

Published

on

By

Oodua Progressive Union (OPU), Japan chapter has disclosed that ailing member,  Mr Segun Tope Sharafa  needs ¥20 million (20,000,000 Japanese yen) to undergo kidney transplant.

The group coordinator,  Comrade Ige Rowland James in a chat with our reporter  disclosed this on Tuesday.

Comrade Ige, who betrayed emotion further described the ex-President, Yoruba Association, Japan,  Mr Sharafa as a prominent member, saying “its so sad for this kind of health challenge news of our respected member , the Baba Oodua of  Japan”.

Speaking further, he said “although Oodua Progressive Union (OPU),  Japan is new among others but  we stand like others and we never envisaged to encounter the health challenge that is facing  one of our prominent members and the union. But we decided to face the challenge as it comes because our main goal is service to  humanity which is the best work of life.

“Baba Oodua is critically ill and it has become obvious that he cannot provide the required funds to have the necessary medical attention.

“At this point, we are calling all our leaders, union, friends and family across the globe to stand by us and let show the real love and unity within us”, Ige appealed.

Mega Icon Magazine reliably gathered that Mr Sharafa is currently hospitalised in Japan due to kidney-related ailment, and urgently needed to be taken to Indian for transplant that will gulp ¥20 million.

ALSO READ  EDITORIAL: Oyo APC, Not Too Late to Unite!

Also,  the OPU is organising a fund raising event on behalf of its ailing member billed for Sunday October 27th, 2019 at Arashi party room, Shinjuku, Tokyo.

 

For any enquiry or support, please contact the Coordinator or the following executives. 

Oodua Progressive Union, Japan National Coordinator, Com Ige James +81-80-5036-3437. 

Comrade Odanibe lucky 81-70-1421-1414 

Comrade Busari Jelly 81-80-5037-4712 

Comrade Adeniyi  Taiwo 81-70-7051-8154 

Comrade Akadi Micheal 81-80-4478-0665. 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: