The Operation Burst Security outfit on Monday countered claims by the Oyo State Police Command that it recovered corpses of one soldier and a civilian from a forest in Ibadan, while searching for foreigners kidnapped in the city.
Director General (DG) of the security outfit, Col. Oladipo Ajibola (rtd) through a telephone conversation maintained that no soldier was killed in the operation.
He said, though a soldier sustained injury and he is recupirating in the hospital, adding that he was aware a civil defence officer was killed.
But, the Public Relations Officer of the Oyo State Police Command, SP Olugbenga Fadeyi, had earlier disclosed in a statement issued in Ibadan that the command recovered corpses of one soldier and a civilian from a forest in Ibadan, while searching for foreigners kidnapped in the city on Wednesday.
The police mouthpiece added that an Army Lieutenant and a Civil Defense personnel also sustained gun shot wounds during an exchange of gunfire between the kidnappers and security operatives.
Fadeyi explained that one Hassan Mills of Panorama farm, Mekun, Oke Alaro area of Ibadan was abducted at the entrance of his farm by unknown gunmen who shot sporadically before taking him away into the forest.
He added that the Divisional Police Officer in Oke Alaro, and his men combed the forest with a view to rescue the victim from his captors and also arrest the culprits.
Fadeyi revealed that a team of Operation Burst which was invited by the company arrived the area and proceeded to the forest during which one Army Lieutenant sustained gunshot injury on his right lap, and immediately taking to the hospital.
The Police image maker said the Personal Assistant to the victim who was also abducted escaped during exchange of gunfire.
Negotiation with the captors according to him is being concealed from the Police while efforts have been intensified to arrest the hoodlums and also rescue the victim.
He urged well meaning and good people of Oyo State with useful and credible information as to the whereabout of the kidnappers and victim to furnish the Police in the state for rescue operation to be carried out immediately.
Osogbo: 32-year-old Man Jailed 14 Months for Defrauding American of N19.6m
Ibadan zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has secured the conviction of one Oteyowo Akinkunmi Samuel over internet-related fraud.
Justice Nathaniel Ayo-Emmanuel of the Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo, Osun State pronounced the 32-year-old, who claimed to be a graduate of civil engineering, guilty of a one-count amended charge of criminal impersonation on Monday, and handed him fourteen months custodial sentence.
The crime offends Section 22(2) (b) (ii) of the Cyber Crimes (Prohibition, Prevention Etc) Act, 2015 and punishable under Section 22 (2) of the same Act.
He was charged for defrauding one Warren Doht, an American, of a total sum of N19,664,128.50 (Nineteen Million, Six Hundred and Sixty Four Thousand, One Hundred and Twenty Eight Naira, Fifty Kobo).
The convict had, however, approached the Commission for a plea bargain agreement which formed the basis for the amended charge with which he was arraigned and convicted of on Monday.
After pleading guilty to the amended charge, prosecution counsel Murtala Usman urged the court to convict him accordingly.
Apart from the jail term, the court also ordered Oteyowo to restitute the N19,664,128.50 to the victim of his crime.
#EndSARS: Oyo judicial panel to begin public sitting next week Tuesday
The 12-man Judicial Panel of Inquiry set up by Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State to look into petitions of police brutality and victimisation in the state will begin public hearing next week Tuesday.
The Panel, after concluding preliminary analysis of complaints/petitions submitted by victims of police brutality/victimisation, will begin the public hearing on Tuesday, 26 January, 2021 at the House of Chiefs, Oyo State House of Assembly Complex, Secretariat, Ibadan from 9.00 a.m. daily.
According to a public notice signed by the Secretary to the Panel, Mr. H.T. Salami, all petitioners and respondents had been served with hearing notices and they are expected to appear before the Panel on the date contained in their respective hearing notices.
The panel, which warned members of the public coming to the hearing to adhere strictly to COVID-19 protocols and guidelines, asked members of the public who might have enquiries to direct same to the The Secretary of the Panel through Phone Number 07014868686 or via email address: [email protected]
The notice read: “The general public is hereby informed that His Excellency, the Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has graciously approved the constitution of a twelve (12)-man Judicial Panel of Inquiry to look at the petitions submitted by victims of police brutality and victimization in the State.
“The Governor inaugurated the Commission on Tuesday , 10th November, 2020 with the following Terms of Reference: to receive and investigate complaints of Police brutality or related extrajudicial killings; to evaluate evidence presented/other surrounding circumstances and draw conclusions as to the validity of the complaints; to recommend compensation and other remedial measures, where appropriate.
“The Panel has, therefore, concluded the preliminary analysis of the submitted complaints/petitions and the public hearing of the Panel will commence on Tuesday, 26 January, 2021, at the House of Chiefs, Oyo State House of Assembly Complex, Secretariat, Ibadan from 9.00 a.m. daily.
“All the petitioners and the respondents have been served with hearing notices and are expected to appear before the Panel on the date contained in the respective hearing notices.
“All enquiries are to be directed to the The Secretary of the Panel through Phone Number 07014868686 or via email address: [email protected]
“Please, note that all members of the public coming to the hearing are expected to adhere strictly with the COVID-19 pandemic protocols and guidelines.”
Barman in Ibadan gets 8 years jail term for illegal withdrawals from employer’s account
A 35-year-old bartender, Godwin Job, was on Tuesday sentenced to eight years in prison for illegally withdrawing the sum of N1,079,290 (One million, Seventy Nine Thousand, Two Hundred and Ninety Naira) from a Fidelity Bank account belonging to his boss, Olufemi Joseph Odusanya.
Job was convicted by Justice Bayo Taiwo of the Oyo State High Court in a two-count charge bordering on stealing, filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ibadan zonal office.
Following an investigations into a petition from his estranged boss, the Commission arraigned Job on August 17, 2020 to answer for the criminal allegations against him.
The charges are: “Godwin Job (a.k.a Nifemi) “M’ sometime in August 2019 or there about, at Ibadan, within the jurisdiction of this court did steal an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Card, property of Olufemi Joseph Odusanya, and thereby committed an offence Punishable under Section 390 (9) Criminal Code, Cap 38, Laws of Oyo State 2000.”
“Godwin Job (a.k.a Nifemi) “M’ sometime in August 2019 or there about, at Ibadan, within the jurisdiction of this court did steal the sum of One million, Seventy Nine Thousand, Two Hundred and Ninety Naira (N1,079,290), the property of Olufemi Joseph Odusanya, and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 390 (9) Criminal Code, Cap 38 Law of Oyo State 2000.”
The boss had accused Job of stealing his Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card through which he withdrew cash and made Point of Sales (POS) transactions totaling N1,079,290.
In the course of investigation, the Commission discovered that Job made 14 transactions within two hours to evacuate the said amount from the victim’s account.
Though he pleaded not guilty upon arraignment, the judge held that the prosecution was able to convince the court beyond reasonable doubt that the accused indeed committed the unlawful act.
He then found him guilty as charged and sentenced him to four years in prison in each of the charges, which will run concurrently from the day of conviction.
He also ordered that Job refunds the money stolen to his victim.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
Health1 week ago
Oyo Justice Commissioner, Oyewo Recovers From COVID-19
News1 week ago
Germany prepares for ‘hardest weeks’ as COVID-19 deaths top 40,000
Metro6 days ago
Oyo Amotekun Confirms Killing of 23-Year-Old Man In Ibadan, Dismisses Erring Officer
Politics3 days ago
2023: Ex -Osun governor, Akande promises to consult Yoruba leaders over Tinubu’s presidency