Connect with us

News

In Benue Pensioners Group Reject Ortom’s N611m Payment Proposal

Published

on

A faction of the National Union of Pensioners (NUP), under the aegis of Concerned Benue Pensioners on Friday rejected the N611 million payment proposal by Governor Samuel Ortom to pay April and May 2019 pension arrears.

The group rejected Governor Ortom’s proposal as they occupy the Benue State Government House in Makurdi, the state capital.

The protesters have been occupying the Government House for the third day running, an action they began since Wednesday.

The governor, who had been out of the state, arrived to meet with the factional group of pensioners at the Government House.

Ortom explained the challenges the state has in meeting its financial obligations, especially with total arrears of over N51 billion pension and gratuity.

The governor also added  that he has directed the payment of April and May 2019 pension arrears, but the pensioners insisted on occupying the Government House gate.

Addressing newsmen,  Chairman of the group, Mr Peter Kyado, demanded that the pensioners be placed on a first-line charge before payment of salaries to civil servants.

He was responding to Governor Ortom’s proposal to source N40 billion bond to clear the pension arrears which stand at N18 billion, in addition to the two months payment.

ALSO READ  From Fathia to Funke | By Tunde Busari 

But,  the state chapter of NUP alleged that the leadership of the Concerned Benue Pensioners was being used by opposition parties to cause crisis.

The state chairman of NUP, Mr Joseph Ikyume, accused the Kyado-led group of mischief, partisanship and creating confusion within the union.

Ikyume maintained that the group had been suspended from the NUP and has lost its case at the National Industrial Court.

Comments

News

Lagos govt. approves full reopening of churches, mosques

Published

on

By

 

The Lagos state government on Saturday approved the full reopening of worship centres in the state.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who announced this during a briefing in the state said churches are now allowed to observe their mid-week services, while the mosques are also allowed to carry out their five times a day prayer routine, with strict compliance to COVID-19 safety protocols.

“We must not forget that the coronavirus pandemic is still very much with us, and we must, therefore, strive to prioritize the safety of all our children, teachers, parents, and the entire society,” the governor said.

Before now, the state had allowed for a gradual re-opening of places of worship as lockdowns eased.

With the full re-opening now, the governor has urged Lagosians to continue to act responsibly and maintain the required levels of hygiene.

Some other parts of the world have witnessed a resurgence of COVID-19 infections and rising possibilities of “hard lockdowns”, which according to Governor Sanwo-Olu may become inevitable for Nigerians if caution is not applied.

“Let me make it clear that if we do not continue to maintain our guard, and sustain the adherence to all required protocols and guidelines, we will find ourselves in a situation where fresh lockdowns are inevitable,” he warned.

ALSO READ  Obasanjo, governors highlight gains of Zero Hunger initiative

“The only way to avoid this is to continue to act responsibly: maintain the required levels of hygiene, through regular handwashing and use of sanitizers, wear masks in all public places, avoid non-essential public gatherings, and maintain the prescribed levels of physical distancing at all times”.

The total infections in the country have now risen to 56,956, with 48,305 patients recovered and 1,094 deaths recorded.

At the onset of the virus in Nigeria, Lagos became the epicenter, gapping other states with its case load despite frantic efforts to curb the spread.

However, in recent times, other states such as Plateau have started to witness a surge with the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 stating that it might become the new epicenter in the country.

Continue Reading

News

Photos: Oyo deputy gov. donates patrol motorcycles to security operatives

Published

on

The deputy governor of Oyo state, Engr. Raufu Olaniyan on Friday made a personal donation of patrol motorcycles to security operatives in Oke Ogun area of the state to boost their role of ensuring the safety of lives and properties.

Speaking at the event, Olaniyan noted  that Security is one of the cardinal objectives of the present administration headed by Governor Seyi Makinde, adding that the government has invested massively to provide facilities and equipment for security operatives in the state to perform their roles.

Speaking further, the deputy governor remarked that ” In the light of the security challenges in the country, it is imperative that we support the government in tackling this malady. It was therefore a delight for me to donate patrol motorcycles, from my purse, to the various security outfits operating in the Oke Ogun area of our state.”

He stressed that security matters should be the responsibility of all and not the government alone.

Olaniyan, however , urged well meaning individuals and lovers of peace to support the government in creating a safe and conducive environment for growth.

ALSO READ  UN Mission facilitates dialogue aimed at mitigating herdsmen-farmers crisis in the middle-belt region of Nigeria
Continue Reading

News

Yorubas will resist arrest of proponents of Oodua Republic – Group

Published

on

Groups under the aegis  of Yoruba Frontier Movement (YFM) on Thursday called on President Muhammadu Buhari to resist from using security agencies to harass, intimidate or arrest proponents of Oodua Republic.

YFM in a statement made available to journalists by its National Coordinator, Comrade Abdulkabir Adesina and National Secretary, Aderemi Adisa condemned the plan by security agencies to arrest proponents of Oodua Republic, saying that such action will only lead to breakdown of law and order.

The statement read, “We have received reports that there are plans by security agencies to arrest proponents of Oodua Republic headed by Chief Sunday Igboho. We are using this medium to call on President Muhammadu Buhari to order security agencies to desist from such attempts because proponents of Oodua Republic are operating within the ambit of the law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

The group wondered why proponents of Oodua Republic have become the target of security agencies while Fulani herdsmen and bandits have remained untouchable.

“We should even go down memory lane. President Muhammadu Buhari while desperately seeking to become Nigeria’s president made many inciting statements capable of bringing anachy into the country but ex- President Jonathan never ordered for his arrest. On many occasions northern youths and elders have made similar inciting statements and heaven didn’t come down. As a matter of fact we have been calling for restructuring of Nigeria for a very long time.The failure of government to restructure Nigeria is the reason why we are calling for Oodua Republic. Yorubas have suffered greatly since the amalgamation of the country in 1914 owing to injustice against Yoruba race in Nigeria. As a race we have every right to demand for our right to either stay with Nigeria or go our separate ways”, the statement added.

ALSO READ  Cryptocurrency Is ‘Not Money’ - Trump

It further lauded  Chief Sunday Igboho for taking the bull by the horn, saying that Yorubas are fully in his support.

“We are using this medium to call on traditional rulers, Obas , leaders and all Yoruba sons and daughters to support the proponents of Oodua Republic”, the statement concluded.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: