Connect with us

Crime & Court

Ex- Minister, nabbed over $1m cash probe

Published

on

A Ghanaian minister who resigned over the weekend after her houseworkers allegedly stole more than $1 million in cash from her home, has been arrested for suspected corruption, a special prosecutor said on Monday.

Sanitation Minister Cecilia Abena Dapaah has denied any crimes, but the case drew criticism from Ghana’s opposition who questioned why a minister had such large amounts of cash in her house.

Special prosecutor Kissi Agyebeng said Dapaah was placed under arrest on Monday.. “in respect of suspected corruption and corruption-related offences regarding large amounts of money.”

Ghana’s special prosecutor’s office deals with cases of corruption involving public officials, judges or senior political party members.

The arrest came as President Nana Akufo-Addo’s government deals with the country’s worst economic crisis in years which has pushed Ghana to seek a $3 billion loan from the IMF.

Akufo-Addo’s ruling NPP party is preparing for primaries later this year to chose its candidate to run in next year’s election.

In her statement on Saturday, Dapaah handed in her resignation, saying she did not want to be a “hindrance” to government, but rejected reports of such large amounts of cash at the family home.

“I am resigning therefore because I do not want this matter to become a preoccupation of government and a hindrance to the work of government,” Dapaah said.

According to court documents, the two domestic workers face charges of stealing $1 million, 300,000 euros and millions of local Ghanaian cedis, as well as clothing. from a bedroom last year.

Akufo-Addo on Sunday accepted the resignation and applauded the former minister for her loyalty and “devotion”, his spokesman said.

But former Ghana leader John Dramani Mahama, who is the opposition NDC candidate for the 2024 election, described the incident as “scandalous”.

“$1m + €300k and millions of GHS in a Ghanaian Minister’s home? Scandalous!! Even if genuinely acquired, why keep millions of hard currency at home?” he wrote on his Twitter account.

“Will Akufo-Addo ever set a good example for public office holders in his administration?”

A good governance advocate Baffour, Agyeman-Duah, has called on the ombudsman to probe the case.

“A lot is going through people’s minds,” he told AFP. “It involves a high-ranking public official so the Office of the Special Prosecutor must take it up just to clear any doubts.”

 

Comments

Crime & Court

FCMB staff, ex-worker remanded over alleged $25,000 cyber fraud

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the remand of a Service Administrator with First City Monument Bank Plc, Gideon Bakpa Aghogho, and a former employee of the bank, Oscar Ebere Chukwuebuka, over an alleged $25,000 cyber fraud.

Justice Friday Ogazi gave the order on Wednesday following the arraignment of the two men by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on charges bordering on conspiracy, cybercrime and fraud.

The EFCC alleged that Aghogho, Chukwuebuka and a man identified as Scott, who is still at large, conspired between July 24 and 26, 2026, to gain unauthorised access to the bank’s server and siphon $25,000.

The prosecution counsel, Bilikisu Buhari-Bala, told the court that Aghogho allegedly released his access code to Chukwuebuka, who was said to have approached him to facilitate access to the bank’s system.

According to the prosecutor, the access code, which was linked to the bank’s local Administrative Credential, known as ITSD, was allegedly used to gain access to the FCMB Virtual Centre Platform.
Buhari-Bala further alleged that after the money was siphoned, Aghogho received $2,000, while Chukwuebuka allegedly received $400.

The prosecutor said the alleged offences violated provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024, and the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

When the charges were read to them, Aghogho pleaded not guilty, while Chukwuebuka pleaded guilty.
Following their pleas, Justice Ogazi adjourned the case until August 27, 2026, for a review of the facts relating to the charges against Chukwuebuka.

The judge also ordered that the two defendants be remanded in the custody of the Nigerian Correctional Service pending the next hearing.

Before the arraignment, counsel to the defendants, N. Egah and Livingstone Madu, told the court that their clients were willing to enter into a plea bargain agreement.

The prosecutor, however, said the EFCC was not aware of any plea bargain arrangement involving the defendants.
One of the counts alleged that Aghogho, Chukwuebuka and Scott conspired to provide and use Aghogho’s access code to the FCMB system, thereby enabling unauthorised access to the bank’s Virtual Centre Platform.

Another count accused Aghogho of unlawfully disclosing access credentials, including the bank’s server IP and domain credentials, which allegedly facilitated access to the bank’s database.

The EFCC also alleged that Aghogho retained $2,000 on July 26, 2026, while Chukwuebuka retained $400, knowing or having reasonable grounds to believe that the sums were proceeds of an unlawful act.

The defendants have not been convicted of the allegations.

The case was adjourned until August 27 for further proceedings.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Police Arrest 10 Suspected Human Parts Dealers in Oyo

Published

on

Operatives of the Oyo State Police Command have arrested 10 suspected human parts dealers in Iseyin and Saki areas of the state following months of intelligence gathering and surveillance.

The suspects were arrested by the Command’s Monitoring Unit after operatives had closely monitored their activities, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, disclosed in a statement made available to journalists on Friday.

According to the statement, the arrests followed “sustained intelligence gathering, discreet surveillance and close monitoring” of the suspects.

Those arrested were Adam Ibrahim, 42; Nasiru Kabiru, 22; Tijani Wasiu, 54; Abiola Nasiru, 45; Amusa Gbadamosi, 57; Raheem Taofeek, 46; Jimoh Muritala, 35; Suleiman Busari, 47; Ganiyu Nurudeen, 36; and Usman Abdullahi, 52.

Police said several suspected human parts and charms were recovered during searches of the suspects’ hideouts.

The exhibits included a suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The command said the recovered items had been secured for forensic examination as investigations continued.

Olayinka said the suspects had confessed to dealing in human parts for ritual purposes, adding that they were assisting investigators in tracing the source, procurement and intended use of the recovered items.

He said efforts were ongoing to arrest other members of the alleged syndicate.

The Commissioner of Police, Oyo State Command, CP Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, commended the operatives for what he described as a painstaking intelligence-led operation.

The CP reaffirmed the command’s determination to rid the state of criminal elements and protect the sanctity of human life.

He urged residents to remain vigilant and provide credible information to the police to aid crime prevention and detection.

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Ex-DSS Officer Arraigned Over Alleged IPOB Membership, Terror Charges

Published

on

The Department of State Services has arraigned one of its retired officers, Nwaogu Ihechimere Ezeakolam, before the Federal High Court in Abuja over his alleged involvement with the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra.

Ezeakolam was docked before Justice Mohammed Umar on a four-count charge bordering on alleged membership of the separatist group, providing support for its activities and using social media to promote its cause.

The charges were instituted by the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), on behalf of the Federal Government. The prosecution alleged that the offences were committed in Abuja and Abia State between 2025 and 2026.

According to the charge, the retired operative allegedly rendered moral support to IPOB by disseminating information in favour of the group through the internet and his social media platforms. The prosecution said the action contravened provisions of the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

The Federal Government also accused him of becoming a member of IPOB despite the group’s proscription by the court. It maintained that the alleged act is punishable under the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act.

In another count, the prosecution alleged that Ezeakolam knowingly posted messages on social media designed to persuade members of the public to support IPOB. It further claimed that the posts amounted to aiding and abetting the activities of the proscribed organisation.

The fourth charge accused the defendant of publishing messages online to advance the cause of IPOB, an offence the prosecution said is contrary to the provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015, as amended.

When the charges were read, Ezeakolam pleaded not guilty to all four counts. Following his plea, prosecuting counsel, Memunat Oladunjoye, urged the court to fix a date for the commencement of trial.

Counsel for the defendant, Godfirst Maduka, informed the court that he intended to file a bail application on behalf of his client. Justice Umar directed that the application should be filed accordingly and fixed October 29 for the commencement of trial.

The judge subsequently ordered that the defendant be remanded in the Kuje Custodial Centre pending the hearing and determination of his bail application.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending