Following a meeting with coronavirus victim Prince Charles, the World heavyweight boxing champion, Anthony Joshua has placed himself in self-isolation.
Officials on Wednessday confirmed that Charles, the eldest son and heir to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, is showing mild symptoms of coronavirus and is self-isolating in Scotland.
Though, it remains unclear when Charles caught the illness but on March 9, he spent the day with the Queen, prime minister Boris Johnson and stars of sport and entertainment, including Joshua at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey.
“AJ is at home following government guidelines, he is fit and well. He wishes everyone affected a speedy recovery and a huge thank you to all the front line key workers”, Anthony Joshuah’s spokesman told the Daily Mail.
Joshua is due to defend his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on June 20.
But the coronavirus could delay that bout and push back a hugely anticipated all-British fight with WBC champion Tyson Fury until next year at the earliest.
In a series of Twitter posts on Tuesday, Joshua thanked all those involved in trying to combat the coronavirus by saying: “It’s humbling to see people giving their everything right now to keep us safe. Shout to everyone on the front-line.
“We see you, we appreciate you, we thank you and we’re in awe of you!”
World tennis champion, Djokovic tests positive for COVID-19
Tennis world number one Novak Djokovic, Tuesday disclosed that he has tested positive for coronavirus, joining a slew of other infected players who took part in an exhibition tennis tournament in the Balkans.
According to AFP, “Novak Djokovic tested positive for a virus COVID-19,” read a statement from his staff. “He is not showing any symptoms “.
Chelsea’s Hudson-Odoi cleared of rape
Callum Hudson-Odoi will not face any further action regarding a rape allegation, the Chelsea winger said on Saturday.
Hudson-Odoi was arrested on May 17 and released on bail.
But the England international has now said the police will not be pursuing the matter.
“At a time where there are bigger things happening in the world right now, you may also be aware of serious allegations that were made against me,” Hudson-Odoi wrote on Twitter.
“I have stayed silent and assisted the police fully throughout their enquiries, as I knew the day would soon come when my name would be cleared.
“Following a full and thorough investigation, the police have now confirmed they will take no further action.”
The 19-year-old added: “I would like to use this platform to thank everyone who has stood by my side and supported me during this difficult period.”
Hudson-Odoi made a full recovery after becoming the first Premier League player to test positive for COVID-19 in March and has been taking part in Chelsea’s preparations for the Premier League resumption next week.
£53m Deal: Chelsea close to signing Werner
Chelsea are closing in on a deal to sign striker Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, British media reported Thursday.
The 24-year-old had been thought to be attracting interest from Premier League champions-elect Liverpool but it appears Chelsea have in fact met the German’s reported release clause of some £53 million ($67 million).
Were Chelsea to bring Werner to Stamford Bridge it would be a major feather in the cap of the west London club.
For the past year, there has been speculation linking Werner with a move to Anfield but time appears to be running out for the Reds, with the forward’s release clause expiring on June 15 — two days before the Premier League is set to restart after a coronavirus-enforced break of several months.
The Germany international has scored 31 goals for Leipzig in all competitions.
Chelsea have already agreed on a deal to sign Ajax winger Hakim Ziyech.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
News5 days ago
Oyo: Olowofela, others sworn in as federal Commissioner
Politics2 days ago
Blocking me from Ajimobi’s 8-day fidau prayers was premeditated – Oyo Deputy Gov.
News1 week ago
FG lifts ban on interstate travel, approves reopening of schools, airports
Politics1 week ago
Ondo: IGP orders CP to restore deputy governor’s security