Connect with us

Crime & Court

Another set of 30 kidnap victims released in Katsina

Published

on

No fewer than  thirty set of kidnap victims have been released in Katsina State.

The 30 persons were handed over to the state governor,  Aminu  Masari on Saturday, bringing the number of persons released so far to 45, as the ongoing peace deal enters its third week.

Addressing the returnees, the Governor Masari assured that his administration will not relent in its efforts to secure the release of others still in captivity.

He also directed that the returnees be taken to the hospital for health checks before heading home to join their families.

One of the victims, Zinatu Sani from Kankara told journalists that she was abducted from her matrimonial home with two of her children.

She said that the bandits initially demanded a ransom of N20 million which was later reduced to N6 million, which she said her family couldn’t pay.

She said the suspected bandits used to give them raw rice to cook with only water  and salt.

Sani narrated that they slept in an open space for fifty-five (55) days whether it rained or not.

She further disclosed that there were still a lot of people in captivity inside the forest.

The freed victims were later handed over to the transition committee chairmen of Kankara and Jibiya LGs for medical check-up and eventual reunification with their families.

ALSO READ  Oyo govt suspends 13 head teachers, 2 AHMs, 1 teacher over alleged illegal collection of fees

 

Comments

Crime & Court

Edo: NDLEA foils criminal attempt, detects cannabis inside sacks of garri

Published

on

By

Amidst  COVID-19 lockdown, officers of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Edo State have foiled a criminal attempt to smuggle eighty-three (83) kilograms of cannabis sativa concealed inside sacks of garri out of the state.

The dried weeds that tested positive for cannabis was intercepted at Aviele trailer park, Etsako West Local Government Area of the State.

NDLEA Edo State Commander, Mr. Buba Wakawa who announced the operational breakthrough in Benin City also lauded operatives of the Auchi Area command for the spectacular drug seizure.

He said, “officers attached to the Auchi Area command acting on intelligence report raided the popular trailer park at Aviele where the dried weeds of cannabis hidden inside eight (8) sacks of garri were intercepted while preparing to smuggle the drugs out of the State. This is a very successful operation and I commend the officers for their commitment and ingenuity”.

The commander who described the mode of concealment as “cunning”, added that preliminary investigation had revealed that a local cannabis snuggling cartel in the area is behind the cannabis consignment.

Also, in a similar operation which took place at Uzebba forest, the command recovered twenty (20) kilogrammes of cannabis seeds and thirteen (13) kilogrammes of dried weeds that tested positive for cannabis.

ALSO READ  Lagos govt. seals off Shina Peller's Club Quilox for noise pollution, traffic congestion

The commander, however , warned that drug traffickers in the State must quit the criminal act or be prepared for the legal consequences.

“The early detection of the drugs despite the mode of concealment is a clear signal that the activities of cannabis cartels cannot escape our strict supervision.

“We are prepared to remain proactive in our counter- narcotics efforts.

“This way,  we will continue to subject drug traffickers to the laws of the country to serve as a deterrent to others who might be tempted to indulge in drug trafficking”

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

EFCC Docks Oyo Permanent Secretary Over Alleged N4.4m Scam

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ibadan Zonal Office has arraigned a Permanent Secretary in the Oyo State Ministry of Agriculture, Alhaji Rasaq Kolawole, for allegedly defrauding one Ibikunle Alonge of N4,400.000 (Four Million, Four Hundred Thousand Naira).

Kolawole was arraigned before Justice Aderonke Aderemi of the Oyo State High Court on Wednesday,

on one-count charge of obtaining money under false pretence.

The offence is against Section 1 (2) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the same Act.

The victim of his alleged crime had written a petition to the EFCC in which he accused the top public servant of fraudulently collecting the sum from him as part payment for a piece of land situated at Alabata Olosoko area of Moniya, Ibadan.

He further alleged that it was after making the payment that he got to know that the land actually belonged to one Mrs. Ali (now deceased ), adding that all efforts to get a refund thereafter was unsuccessful.

The one- count charge read: “That you, Alhaji Kolawole Rasaq on or about the 2nd of October, 2018, at Ibadan within the Ibadan Judicial Division of this honourable court with intent to defraud, obtained the sum of N4,400,000 (Four Million and Four Hundred Thousand Naira only) from one Alonge Ibikunle through Pastor Adeyemi Fabayo by falsely pretending that it was part payment of the cost price of eleven and half plots of land situated, lying and being at Alabata Olokoso area, via Moniya area, Ibadan which you purported to have sold to him.

ALSO READ  Lagos govt. seals off Shina Peller's Club Quilox for noise pollution, traffic congestion

Kolawole pleaded not-guilty to the charge. In view of his plea, prosecuting counsel, Dr. Ben Ubi, prayed the court for a date for the commencement of trial.

Justice Aderemi admitted the defendant to bail on self- recognizance and adjourned the matter to June 24 and 25, 2020 for trial.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Oyo Operation Burst Gets New DG

Published

on

Oyo State governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, has appointed Colonel Oladipo Ajibola (retd) as the Director-General of the Operation Burst, a state-backed security apparatus that comprises officers of the Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

Moses Also,  the Special Assistant to the governor, on Print Media made the appointment public on Tuesday.

According to the statement, Governor Makinde charged Oladipo  to deploy his wealth of experience in the military and security services to leading the Operation Burst in collaborating with other security agencies to achieve the administration’s objective of a secured Oyo State.

Col. Oladipo (retd) holds a Diploma in Education from the University of Ibadan as well as Diplomas in Administration and Special Operations from the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration and the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center, Fort. Bragg NC. United States of America.

Col. Oladipo (retd) took part in different national and international assignments including being deployed to Angola as Military Observer and Military Assistant to CMO in 1993; leading the five Nation Military Security Assessment to Liberia and serving as the Commanding Officer NIBATT 7, UNAMSIL-Sierra Leone in 2001-2002.

He also served as Chief Instructor, Depot Nigerian Army; Chief of Staff-HQ1 Division, Nigerian Army, Kaduna and Commander/Nigerian Contingent Commander Africa Mission in Sudan.

ALSO READ  Breaking: Police Arrested Dino Melaye At Airport

After leaving the military, he has also served in different capacities as General Manager, EXL Security & Protection Services LTD; Assistant General Manager, Aviation Security, FAAN and Managing Director, Glosat Security Services LTD.

Continue Reading

COVID-19 ALERT

Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: