Connect with us

Politics

LG crisis: We will prosecute those who vandalized LGs properties – Oyo govt

Published

on

The government of Oyo State declared on Monday that it will bring the full weight of the law to bear on the alleged criminal and violent takeover of some Local Governments and Local Council Development Areas’ secretariats by the dissolved illegal chairmen loyal to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The state government said reports from different parts of Oyo State confirmed on Monday that the sacked chairmen resorted to break-ins and vandalization of government properties, leading some imposters to seize offices of council Chairmen.

The State Government, in a statement by Honourable Babatunde Oduyoye, the Special Adviser on Strategy and Political Matters to Governor Seyi Makinde, maintained that the action of the sacked chairmen amounted to criminality and unwarranted provocation.

It condemned what it called unwarranted lawlessness and motor-park-like brigandage perpetrated by the sacked chairmen on Monday.
According to the State Government, the imposters broke into council offices, vandalising gates, doors, windows and other properties at the respective local council secretariats.
The government, however, appealed to the teeming people of the State to remain calm, law-abiding and patient, pending the decision of the Court of Appeal on the matter slated for 19 February 2020.

It promised that “a drastic measure “will be taken on the reports of destruction and violence which characterised the actions of the sacked chairmen on Monday.

Hon Oduyoye said: “We have received reports of vandalisation of government property. We have received reports of wanton destruction of doors, windows, and others, and I can tell you that the governor will not sit down and watch while some people decide to be lawless. This is criminal and the government will pursue it to a logical conclusion.

“So, pending the determination of the cases at the Court of Appeal, I think it is only appropriate for these chairmen to be law-abiding because we had said earlier that it is sub judice and we cannot do anything until these cases are determined in the court.

“For the records, the state government, in a statement yesterday, did say that we are going to ensure we do not allow a breakdown of law and order. As we speak, there are two cases in the Court of Appeal and the cases are coming up on February 19th. I do not know why the Attorney-General of the Federation wrote such a letter that is now being used as excuse by some to act recklessly. We will recall that he did a similar thing on the issue of Amotekun.”

The Special Adviser added that as a law-abiding and peace-loving Government, the 68 caretaker chairmen appointed by Governor Makinde were directed to stay away from the secretariats in order to forestall an outbreak of violence, noting, however, that the chairmen have been charged with keeping peace and order in their respective local councils.

He added: “We in Oyo State are law-abiding citizens. The government directed the chairmen to maintain peace. We have just finished a meeting now and workers in the state under the umbrella of NULGE are on strike, and you now begin to ask why the sacked APC council chairmen went to the local government councils.

“The issue is, there is industrial action by NULGE. I think they are justified by the level of reports we have received of people macheting PDP members they found around the local government councils’ premises, destroying government properties, forcing doors open and all that. NULGE was right to have taken such a decision. We do not begrudge them for doing that but we have told our people to be law-abiding. We have told the chairmen too to ensure there is no breakdown of law and order within the local government areas.”

Speaking on the situation that led to the current imbroglio, Oduyoye maintained that the Court should be allowed to take its decision on who is right or wrong on the matter on ground, insisting, however, that the government, under the leadership of Governor Makinde, would not sit down and watch some desperate elements destroy the state and create fear in the minds of the people.

“Whether one is right or the other is wrong, it is not for me to decide. The court will decide. This is a very simple matter. An election was held when there was an injunction. Second, elections took place in LCDAs not recognised by the Constitution. These are matters before the court.

“As I said, the court will decide if you can conduct elections in areas not recognized by the constitution and, if you can go ahead to conduct an election when there was a pending injunction, these are matters for the Court of Appeal to decide upon.

Pending that time, we have appealed to the good people of Oyo State to be calm, law-abiding and we will ensure we do something about the report sent to us on those who have destroyed government property,” Oduyoye said.

 

Comments

Politics

Defiant Return: Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan Defies Ban, Receives Hero’s Welcome in Kogi

Published

on

By

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Tuesday received an enthusiastic reception from supporters and residents of Ihima community in Kogi State, despite a state government ban on rallies and processions.

By 8 am, crowds from the five local government areas of Kogi Central Senatorial District, which Akpoti-Uduaghan represents, had flooded the Ihima community in Okehi Local Government Area (LGA) to welcome the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) lawmaker.

Several local musicians entertained the gathering as they eagerly awaited the arrival of the senator. Their patience was soon rewarded when Akpoti-Uduaghan arrived in a white helicopter, prompting cheers and jubilant applause from her supporters.

Addressing the crowd, Akpoti-Uduaghan acknowledged the state government’s ban but dismissed concerns that it applied to her visit.

“Yesterday, we heard on the news that rallies and gatherings will not be allowed, that roads will be blocked, and convoys leading into the state will not be permitted. I knew that we were the targets. But then I said, this is not a political season, this is not campaign time,” she said.

“We are not having a rally. This is just me, the Senator representing Kogi Central, coming down to her people to celebrate this festive time – Sallah – with you, and there is nothing wrong with that. I am breaking no law. This is Nigeria. We have the right to be free, to express our choice in gatherings and celebrations.”

Her visit came just hours after the Kogi State Government imposed a ban on public gatherings and processions, citing security concerns. The restrictions were further reinforced by a curfew imposed in the area by Okehi LGA Chairman, Amoka Monday, and a police warning advising her to cancel the event.

Despite these measures, Akpoti-Uduaghan remained defiant, insisting that no authority could prevent her from visiting her home.

“Nobody and nothing can stop me from coming home. I’m an Ebira woman; this is my land. I’m the daughter of the late Jimoh Abdul Akpoti. I know my roots; I’m not a bastard, and I’m not afraid of anybody,” she declared to the cheering crowd.

Ahead of her homecoming, the senator alleged that any security breach during the event should be blamed on Kogi State Governor Usman Ododo, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello.

Akpoti-Uduaghan has been in the headlines in recent months, having been suspended from the Senate for allegedly violating its rules. Her suspension coincided with a sexual harassment allegation against Senate President Akpabio. Additionally, a recall process against her is currently underway. However, she maintains that her political travails are the result of a witch hunt.

Continue Reading

Politics

Adebayo Open to Stepping Down for ‘Better’ SDP Candidate in 2027

Published

on

By

 

Adewole Adebayo, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), has declared his willingness to step aside in the 2027 elections if a stronger candidate emerges to lead the party.

Adebayo made this statement on Sunday during an appearance on Inside Sources with Laolu Akande, a socio-political programme aired on Channels Television, monitored by Mega Icon Magazine.

“Everybody knows that I have an aspiration. I’m working on it, but God is the author of tomorrow; we don’t even know who is going to be around in 2027,” he said.

The lawyer and politician emphasised that his ambition would not stand in the way of a more capable leader who could address Nigeria’s challenges.

“It is my prayer to God that if there is a person who God thinks is better than me to fix the problem of Nigeria, my ambition should not stop that person because we want a country that works. That is the kind of thing we are working on at this time,” he added.

Adebayo assured Nigerians that the SDP would present a candidate worthy of national support, capable of unseating President Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the next election.

He further stressed that the SDP would avoid divisive politics based on religion and ethnicity.

“What used to be an easy discussion – with religion and ethnicity – has become explosive now. So, we will not use the SDP forum to try to bifurcate our people into different zones,” he noted.

According to him, the party aims to produce a candidate whose emergence will be met with widespread approval.

“When we make a choice in the SDP, there will be resounding joy outside the SDP, and Nigerians will say: ‘Okay, finally, this platform has given the country a chance’,” Adebayo said.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Rep Oseni Congratulates Oyo APC Chairman, Others on Federal Board Appointments

Published

on

By

The lawmaker representing Ibarapa East/Ido Federal Constituency, Engr Aderemi  Oseni, has congratulated the Oyo State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prince Moshood Olayide-Abas on his appointment as the Board Chairman of the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Kaduna, by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Oseni, who also serves as the Chairman of the House Committee on Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA), described Olajide’s appointment as a recognition of his dedication to the party and his contributions to its growth in Oyo State.

In a statement issued on Saturday by his media aide, Idowu Ayodele, the lawmaker commended President Tinubu for considering competent and loyal party members for key federal appointments.

“I extend my heartfelt congratulations to our leader, Prince Abas Olajide on this well-deserved appointment. His leadership and commitment to the APC in Oyo State have been exemplary. I have no doubt that he will bring the same level of dedication to this new role,” Oseni stated.

He also congratulated other notable figures from Oyo State who were appointed to federal boards, urging them to justify the confidence reposed in them by delivering on their mandates.

“This is not just an opportunity but a call to service. I encourage all appointees to work diligently in support of President Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda,” he added.

Oseni expressed optimism that these appointments would further strengthen governance at the national level and reinforce the APC’s political structure in Oyo State.

Continue Reading

Trending