A Taliban car bomb in eastern Afghanistan killed no fewer than 12 people and wounded scores more Sunday, officials said, in a massive blast that came amid ongoing peace talks in Qatar.
The Taliban are meeting with US negotiators and Afghan representatives in Doha as the US pushes to end its 18-year involvement in Afghanistan, but violence from the insurgents and the US military has continued apace.
Sunday’s suicide car bomb attack, as gathered hit the eastern city of Ghazni and targeted an intelligence unit, Ghazni provincial governor spokesman Aref Noori told AFP.
Wahidullah Mayar, a health ministry spokesman, said 12 people had been killed
Additionally, “179 people, mostly civilians including children, were wounded”, he added.
The number of wounded jumped up from an earlier toll of 70 and suggests a massive explosion.
The Taliban claimed the attack in a WhatsApp message.
The seventh round of Taliban-US talks is aimed at forging a deal that would see the US military quit Afghanistan in return for various guarantees.
Both sides have reported substantial progress in the talks, which are paused Sunday and Monday while the Taliban meet with Afghan representatives for a so-called intra-Afghan dialogue.
Untold story of sex for passport saga at Nigeria Embassy in Germany
The recent news which gone viral with a video clip alleging that a Nigerian Embassy staff in Berlin, Germany, one Mr Martins, was engaged in sex for passport / visa racketeering and fraud has been found to be maliciously subjective and a deliberate attempt to cast aspersion, dent the image of the Embassy and intimidate the staff into accepting unethical practices as the norm.
According to a fact-checking news organization based in Paris , – Bureau The Truth described the Nigerian Embassy in Berlin as one of the very few best Embassies in the world where the staff strictly adhere and comply with the oath of service and the official charter of duties without compromising or bending the rules.
Bureau The Truth disclosed that the Nigerian Embassy in Berlin has consistently for many years proved to be impregnable for passport /visa racketeers shunned malpractices and diligently mobilized its staff into servicing the needs and attention of Nigerians in Germany and carried out its diplomatic function.
The fact-checking news organization revealed that this seemingly hardliner modus operandi of the Embassy and its staff has been a cog in the wheel of operation of a clique of Nigerians from a particular ethnic group which specializes in Nigeria passport racketeering, child trafficking and immigration sharp practices.
According to Bureau the Truth, Nigeria Embassy in Germany has been able to wade off immigration rats and cockroaches mainly because of its internal security mechanism which Mr Martins has dutifully guarded and coordinated.
Bureau The Truth revealed that Mr Martins is a man of integrity at his duty post and has never been found wanting in his course of duty and he has never been alleged or being suspected of any official malaise .
The fact-checking organization disclosed further that Mr Martins seemed to be a thorn in the flesh of intruders into the Embassy as his no-nonsense posture at work has made him an enemy of fraudsters who find it hard to penetrate the Embassy.
Bureau The Truth investigation disclosed that, the alleged Mr Martins is not in any official capacity of influence to issue a passport / visa or interfere in the process of passport /visa-issuing adding that it found out from its investigation that the video on viral was a deliberate setup.
Bureau The Truth pointed out that there is nothing in the video which indicate any discussion relating to visa or any diplomatic business.
“A thorough analysis of the video has nothing to show or any discussion about passport /visa or diplomatic business but a deliberate incursion into another man’s privacy by a set of people whose intention is evil and who were forcing their voices on their victim ‘
Bureau The Truth opined that the video has a touch of ethnic affiliation as the voices were a mix of English and an ethnic language belonging to Nigeria.
It also pointed out that the said video had only Mr Martins who was being bombarded with a flurry of comments without allowing him to have a say and without showing his alleged partner.
Bureau The Truth also observed that one of the invaders of Mr Martins’ privacy was heard telling him why he always refused to take whatever instruction issued to him by another colleague in the office .
Bureau The Truth called on the Nigerian Ambassador in Germany to ensure a thorough investigation of the case with clinical and precise format devoid of media siege and blackmailing tendencies pointing out that the profile, integrity, precedent and business activities of those in the video should be thoroughly perused, audited and noted.
‘I hold grudges against nobody’ – Outgoing UI VC
Outgoing University of Ibadan Vice Chancellor, Prof. Idowu Olayinka has assessed his five-year tenure with a sense of fulfillment, adding that he was happy that he was leaving the citadel of learning better than he met it.
However, against the controversy surrounding the appointment of his successor which has culminated into the directive by the federal government to the Senate of the university to appoint an acting VC, Olayinka emphasized that he held no grudges against anybody, pointing out that posterity would judge everyone for the role played.
Speaking after commissioning three projects including water treatment, Post Graduate Hostel at Ajibode and a building at the Faculty of Arts, marking the end of his tenure, the VC who commented on some developments during his tenure stated that petition writing by some elements in the system did not start with his own regime.
“For instance, immediately the appointment process of Professor Isaac Adewole began in 2010, some people started writing petition. After the announcement that Professor Adewole was the VC, some people went and placed advertorial in the newspaper, calling for the annulment of his appointment and demanding appointment of Acting VC.
“Even when I was appointed in 2015, some people went to court. They were calling for the disqualification of my appointment. We had to play a hide and seek game to avoid being served a court paper. I am saying all these to let you know that we are in a very hostile and critical environment. But I believe, posterity will judge everyone for the role we played”, he said.
Olayinka said he would leave the assessment of his performance to the people , however, asserted that he was happy that he was leaving the university better than he met it, pointing out that he took every decision in the interest of the university.
He continued, “I am happy that I turned UI to projects site. Look at this gigantic building in the Faculty of Arts, before now, there was inadequacy of offices and classrooms for both staff and students, yet, Arts was one of the oldest Faculties in the university. Now, everyone is happy. There are things I didn’t plan to do which I did, and there are things which I would have loved to do, but couldn’t do because of the paucity of funds”.
The VC who thanked everyone who contributed to the success of his administration disclosed that after leaving office , he would continue to lecture and contribute to the development of the University, stressing that he has no room for opinion policing about the success or otherwise of his performance.
Ologburo hails Gov. Makinde for securing sole ownership of LAUTECH
Construction magnate and businessman, Omoba Tunde Ologburo has congratulated the Seyi Makinde -led Oyo State government for the recent sole ownership of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) as announced by the National University Commission (NUC).
Ologburo, in a statement signed on Wednesday, in Ibadan, the Oyo State Capital and made available to Mega Icon Magazine, noted that the ease with which the state acquired ownership of the institution is yet another testimonial to the resourcefulness of Governor Seyi Makinde in getting results, even when the task is a tough one.
The merchant prince lauded both governments of Oyo and Osun State for letting reason prevail on the contentious issue of ownership and administration of the institution saying, “the problem-solving disposition of the two governors, and their private sector experiences came to bear in the outcome that we are celebrating today.”
According to him, “more especially, Governor Makinde has shown that with the mechanism of dialogue and mutual understanding a lot of achievements can be attained.
“This development has placed additional responsibilities on the shoulders of the Oyo State government. In the light of this, it is imperative to encourage teaching and non-teaching staff of the university, as well as the students to cooperate with the state government on the steps the government might be proposing in moving the university forward. Already, the Governor has said that the university would be run in a multi-campus system, which is a good development.”
The statement added that the public policy of qualitative education by the state government would receive further boost by this development, as it would ensure an increase in number of university admission for Oyo State indigenes.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
Education1 week ago
Oyo-State, sole ownership of LAUTECH matters arising – Why blame Ajimobi? | By Adeniyi Olowofela
Politics1 week ago
‘No informed mind would celebrate Makinde over NUC’S ceding of LAUTECH to Oyo’ – APC
Sports2 days ago
PHOTOS: Ex 3SC Chairman, Busari buried in Ibadan
News1 week ago
‘Why unions are fighting me’, UI VC reveals