Connect with us

Crime & Court

Suspected herdsmen kill head of hunter, son in Kogi

Published

on

The Chairman of Bunu Hunters and also head of vigilante, Suku community in Kabba-Bunu Local Government council of Kogi State, Caleb Oshe and his son, Sunday Oshe were murdered by unknown gunmen in the early hours of Tuesday.

It was gathered from a reliable source that some armed men invaded the residence of the Chairman of the vigillante in Suku at about 3am on Tuesday.

The source further said that they broke into his house and gunned him and his son down before escaping from the scene.

One of his daughters, Kemi Shola Caleb who was in the house when the gunmen invaded the house disclosed that they were asking for money and they even held them hostage and packed things from their shop.

She said they used both machetes and guns on her father. However, it was the sound of the gunshot that woke people up and on getting to the scene, they met the Chairman and the son in a pool of blood.

Meanwhile, Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has condemned the killing of the Chairman of Bunu Hunters, Caleb Oshe and his son, Sunday Oshe by some unknown gunmen, saying security agencies have been charged to ensure those behind the murder are apprehended and made to face the full wrath of the law.

In a statement issued on Tuesday through his Director-General of Media and Publicity to the Governor, Evangelist Kingsley Fanwo, Governor Bello said it is “unacceptable to his Government and the people of Kogi State”; urging for restraints as security agencies have been deployed to ensure the arrest of the murderers.

ALSO READ  Presidency reacts to IGP Idris’ alleged disobedience to Buhari’s order

“As the Governor of the State, the security of lives and property is what I have sworn to protect. It is therefore unacceptable to us as a people for anyone to murder our citizens. Every life is important to us and we will stop at nothing to unravel the masterminds of the heinous crime.

“Our administration has placed premium attention on security and it is therefore unfortunate that we still have flashes of such dastardly act.

“It is too early to attribute the killings to anyone and no one should take laws into his or her hands. The late Caleb Osho was not only the head of the Vigilante Group in Suku, but also the person responsible for logging activities in the community.

“Given the centrality of Suku Community to the politics and economy of the area, we have no choice than to allow security agencies to launch a full-scale investigation into the circumstances leading to the crime. We will support them to achieve success.

“I directed the State Security Adviser to mobilize security agencies to the place which had been done. Our people must be safe from the pangs of Anti-Social criminals who will surely lose the battle against our well-woven security architecture.

“I commiserate with the family of the late Mr Oshe and the entire Suku community for the irreparable loss. All I can assure you at this moment is that we will ensure justice is done and that we will spread our security dragnet to avert this kind of security issue”.

ALSO READ  Kogi rice will feed the nation – Govt

The Governor warned the people in the affected area not to launch any reprisals; assuring them that the security agents on ground have all it takes, not only to protect them but to also apprehend the murderers.

“I have directed the Security Agencies to make sure the entire area is well combed to ensure anyone bearing unauthorized arm is made to face the wrath of the law”, he said.

Also, the Speaker, Kogi State House of Assembly representing Kabba/Bunu State Constituency, Rt Hon Prince Matthew Kolawole has condemned in strong terms the killing of the Chairman, Bunu Hunter Association, Caleb Oshe and his son, Sunday Oshe in Suku community in Bunu district of Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area by yet to be identified herdsmen.

He said it is barbaric and provocative for a reasonable person and patriotic citizen to be attacking a vulnerable community and killing people at will.

In another development, the Kogi State Government has denied any herdsmen attack at a motor park in Lokoja, saying rumour peddlers are on a mission to create panic and tension in the State.

This was disclosed in Lokoja, Tuesday by the Director-General of Media and Publicity to the Kogi State Governor, Kingsley Fanwo.

He said the fake news circulating on social media platforms was the handiwork of the enemies of the State.

ALSO READ  Niger: Governor Bello swears in new commissioners

“Our attention has been drawn to some gory pictures on social media platforms, purporting that some herdsmen attacked a popular motor park in Lokoja and killed all passengers found there.

“We wish to allay the fears of commuters and residents of the State that nothing like that ever happened as all motor parks in the state remain peaceful. Our security operatives are also ensuring security of lives and property in the State.

“It is instructive to note that the intent of the promoters of such fake news was to create panic in the state for political reasons.

“The Governor of Kogi State wishes to assure commuters and residents of his continued commitment to guarantee their safety and security at all times.”

 

Southwest governors unite, shun political affiliations to tackle  security  challenges

Continue Reading
Comments

Crime & Court

Police  Re-arrest  Bala Wadume, Notorious Kidnap Kingpin In Kano

Published

on

By

The operatives of the Nigeria Police  have re-arrested the notorious kidnap kingpin, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume. He was arrested in the late hours of Monday, in his hideout at Layin Mai Allo Hotoro area of Kano State.

The police disclosed this on Tuesday via its official Twitter handle.

It would be recalled that  the Police had been on the massive manhunt for the suspect,  Bala Wadume since 6th August, 2019 following the unfortunate incident in Ibi, Taraba State which resulted in the brutal murder of three  Police Officers and two civilians and injury to five others.

The suspect, who was appropriately restrained at the time of the incident, was subsequently released by his “rescuers” after they had destroyed the restraining handcuffs.

While commending the Police operatives for their perseverance and painstaking efforts, the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed   Adamu, expressed his profound gratitude to all Nigerians for their unparalleled show of love and empathy to the Force, as well as the families of the officers and patriotic civilians who paid the supreme price in the service of their fatherland.

The police boss, however expressed optimism that the re-arrest of the suspect, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume, will no doubt, help in bringing answers to the numerous but hitherto unanswered questions touching on the incident and the larger criminal enterprise of the suspect.

ALSO READ  Zamfara govt speaks as bandits attack village, kill 17 Nigerians

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

$40m Jewelleries: Diezani Alleges EFCC Of Illegal Entry Into Apartment

Published

on

By

The Ex-  Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, has challenged the seizure of $40m worth of jewelries from her premises by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Contained in an affidavit filed on her behalf by her counsel, Prof Awa Kalu (SAN), Diezani, who is currently in the United Kingdom, alleged that the EFCC violated her fundamental “right to own property and to appropriate them at her discretion,” under sections 43 and 44 of the constitution.

Also, she  accused the commission of entering her apartment illegally and taking the items without any court order.

On July 5, 2019, The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC had secured an order of the court temporarily forfeiting the expensive jewelleries to the Federal Government.

The EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, in an exparte application, made before Justice Nicholas Oweibo told the court that the expensive jewelries comprising wristwatches, necklaces, bracelets, bangles, earrings, a customized gold phone and more were reasonably suspected to have being acquired with proceeds of unlawful activities of the former Minister.

According to the schedule attached to the application, the jewellery, categorised into 33 sets, include “419 expensive bangles; 315 expensive rings; 304 expensive earrings; 267 expensive necklaces; 189 expensive wristwatches; 174 expensive necklaces and earrings; 78 expensive bracelets; 77 expensive brooches; and 74 expensive pendants.”

ALSO READ  Gunmen open fire, kill 7 policemen in Abuja

Oyedepo said “the respondent’s known and provable lawful income is far less than the properties sought to be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.”

After granting the interim forfeiture order on July 5, the court adjourned proceedings for Diezani or anyone interested in the jewellery and gold iPhone to appear before it to give reasons why the items should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

But in an application filed on her behalf by Kalu (SAN), Diezani, contended that “the court lacked jurisdiction to have granted the interim forfeiture order in the first place as she had not been charged with any crime or served with any summons by the EFCC”.

She added  that the entry into her apartment by EFCC operatives was illegal as it was without a court order.

The lawyer added that the temporary forfeiture order was prejudicial to Diezani because she was denied fair hearing.

The application, could however not be argued today as Prof. Kalu was unable to come to court.

A lawyer from his chambers, Chukwuka Obidike, told the court that the SAN was engaged in election petitions, and asked the court to grant an adjournment.

The court has adjourned the case till August 29.

ALSO READ  Ibadan based business magnate cries to Police over threats to life from Omo Onile

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

US Customs Seize Four Tons Of Marijuana Worth $2.3m Hidden Among Peppers

Published

on

By

US Customs officers have seized nearly four tons of marijuana worth $2.3 million hidden in a consignment of jalapeno peppers.

Customs and Border Protection disclosed that a  sniffer dog alerted officers to a trailer with a shipment of peppers in San Diego on the border with Mexico on Thursday.

The CBP statement explained “a 37-year-old male Mexican citizen entered the port of entry driving a tractor pulling a trailer with cargo manifested as jalapeno peppers.”

Officers at Otay Mesa cargo facility found 314 packages of marijuana weighing 7,560 pounds (3.4 tonnes) mixed among the jalapeno peppers.

“I am proud of the officers for seizing this significant marijuana load,” said Otay Mesa Port director Rosa Hernandez.

The acting Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Mark Morgan also shared image of the seized marijuana on his verified Twitter handle.

He hailed the officers for a job well done.

It was the second large haul of marijuana at the facility in days.

Officers seized 10,642 pounds of the drug in a shipment of plastic auto parts at Otay Mesa on Tuesday.

CBP has seized 113 tons (103 tonnes) of marijuana so far this year, along with 41 tons of cocaine and 27 tons of methamphetamine.

In July authorities seized nearly 20 tons of cocaine with an estimated street value of more than $1 billion from a ship at the port of Philadelphia in one of the largest drug busts in US history.

ALSO READ  COMMUNITY NEWS: Ibadan residents cry out over deplorable road, call on Makinde to fix Apete -Akufo road {See Photos}

Continue Reading

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending