President Muhammadu Buhari’s nominee for the chairmanship of the Nigeria Communication Commission board, (NCC), Prof. Adeolu Akande has attributed the growing wave of kidnapping, banditry and armed robbery to wrong registration of SIM cards by Telecoms operators.
Akande, who raised the concern on Tuesday when he appeared for screening before the Committee on Communication headed by Senator Oluremi Tinubu maintained that the inability of GSM service providers to capture the true identity of their clients while registering their SIM cards had further increased the level of criminality in the country.
According to the Varsity Don, “There is no doubt that the use of communication as a tool for criminality has been on the rise. All over the world, emphasis are being placed on the use of telecommunication as a tool of curbing crime but unfortunately in Nigeria, we are seeing the opposite where communication has become the major tool of criminality.
“The major problem is that why kidnappers, armed robbers and bandits use communication facility is that we have problem with using communication to track the identity of Nigerians who are residents of Nigeria.
“The key problem is the management of the subscriber identity module known as SIM card. We found out that there is wrong phone registration of subscribers. People register SIM cards not with their true identity and when such SIM cards are used for criminality and they are tracked, it leads to wrong people rather than the authentic perpetrators of crimes.”
He continued, “So, we have issues with management of SIM cards by the operators. Of late, the NCC and the Ministry of Communications have tried to ratify this because I recall that in the last few months under the structure of the ministry, about 2million lines have been ratified.
“There appears to be a law after that effort when in the recent weeks we have also found out that the use of telephone or mobile phones for criminality have been on the rise. What this simply means is that telecoms are not doing what they are supposed to do.
“We have a regulation but what that says is that NCC has a lot to do with regulation and enforcement. NCC could be doing but the truth of the matter is that NCC has to do more because NCC occupies a very key position in the enforcement of security in the country.
Proffering solution to the challenge, Akande, however emphasized the need for close synergy between NCC and security agencies to end the increasing wave of insecurity in the country.
“So NCC has to up its game to ensure that the telecoms operators register authentic people with the SIM cards, so that if anybody perpetrates any criminality using the SIM card, that person could be arrested and charged by the security agencies.
FMoH to receive supplies, medical experts from China to support fight against Coronavirus in Nigeria
Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire last Friday announced, during the Presidential Task Force Media Briefing , that an 18 man team of Chinese medical experts are expected to arrive Nigeria within a few days with a consignment of globally scarce medical supplies ,to augment the government’s efforts to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
As of April 6th2020 the Minister said that, Nigeria had recorded 232 positive cases of the disease, discharged 33 and recorded 5 deaths. He stated that, “We have 120 patients in Lagos State, 47 in FCT, Osun 20, Oyo 9, Edo 9, Bauchi 6, Akwa Ibom 5, Kaduna 5, Ogun 4, Enugu 2, Ekiti 2, while Ondo , Rivers and Benue have 1 each”.
Dr Ehanire informed that, COVID-19 cases are continuously detected and treated to recovery through enhanced surveillance systems and strengthened epidemic intelligence. He added also that 5,000 samples had been tested so far, as targeted approaches are been taken to scale up the capacity.
The Minister revealed that, two additional Laboratories had been activated for COVID-19 testing at the Defence Reference Laboratory, FCT and Biosafety Level -3 Laboratory Lagos. He stated also that a Joint Continental Strategy for COVID -19 responses had been developed and an African Task Force on Coronavirus (AFCOR) had been set up, to coordinate preparedness and response efforts in the continent, this in collaboration with African Union.
He assured also that Rapid Response Teams will be deployed to all affected states to support them in strengthening their preparedness and response to COVID-19.
According to Health Minister, Dr Ehanire, the donations by the group of Chinese Companies in Nigeria, includes PPEs and other Medical consumables, with one million surgical masks for health workers and also ICU ventilators valued at over $100,000, all sourced in the face of global scarcity of these items. In addition, Chinese medical experts, comprising of doctors, nurses, laboratory technicians and public health managers will share their knowledge, skills and real life experience of fighting covid-19 with Nigerian personnel in strengthening management of COVID-19 cases, especially with regard to critical care, he said. He explained that this initiative would greatly build the capacity of hard working and resourceful Nigerian health workers at the fore front of fighting coronavirus.
He said, the much needed PPEs and masks will protect these frontline workers and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in the line of duty.
The Presidential Task Force Media Briefing ,Minister expressed that, “We have a window of opportunity to strengthen our own response mechanism through lessons learnt from any country that has had the experience and can provide hands- on demonstration of dealing with the outbreak and give the Nigerian clinical workforce the opportunity to share global best practices”
Lagos Biosafety Level-3 Laboratory activated for COVID-19 testing
The Lagos State Biosafety Level-3 Laboratory has been has been activated for #COVID19 testing. This brings the number of COVID-19 testing labs in Nigeria to 9 In progress- Maiduguri, Kano, Sokoto, Port Harcourt, Jos & Kaduna.
Eight new cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria
Eight new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: 5 in Lagos, 2 in the FCT and 1 in Kaduna State.
As at 09:30 pm 5th April there are 232 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Thirty-three have been discharged with five deaths.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
Entertainment1 week ago
Ayinla Omowura: The Gnome That Refuse to Die
News7 days ago
Lock down order takes effect, Lagos-Ibadan expressway blocked
Opinion1 week ago
JAGABAN: Nigeria Greatest ‘Game Changer’ @ 68 | By Abba Dukawa
News1 week ago
Photos: Oyo COVID-19 squad impounds 22 vehicles at club houses