Connect with us

Metro

MKO Abiola: Kingibe reacts to Buhari’s conferment of GCON on him

Published

on

Alhaji Babagana Kingibe, running mate to late Chief Moshood Abiola in the June 12, 1993 presidential election has finally spoken up on the honour conferred on him by President Muhammadu Buhari as Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).

Buhari had, on Wednesday, announced the replacement of May 29 with June 12 as new date for National Democracy Day, in recognition of June 12, 1993, presidential election believed to have been won by the joint-ticket of Abiola and Kingibe.

He also conferred a posthumous GCFR title on MKO Abiola and GCON titles on his running mate, Ambassador Babagana Kingibe as well as the late legal icon and human rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi posthumously for his role in the fight for the actualisation of democracy.

However, Kinigbe, while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, described Buhari’s declaration of June 12 day as Democracy Day as a great honour.

He also commended President Muhammadu Buhari for the announcement that national honours would be conferred on Abiola, acclaimed winner of the election, himself and late human rights lawyer, Chief Gani Fawehinmi.

He, however, noted that he prefers to concentrate on his religious rites for now.

“I really appreciate this. I will love to express my feelings, but right now, I am in Makkah praying to make peace with my maker.

ALSO READ  FG reacts to Obasanjo’s claim of Buhari plotting to kill him

“There will be time enough to share worldly thoughts with friends,” he said.

Continue Reading
Comments

Metro

Revolution Now: Security agents attack protesters, brutalise septuagenarian in Osun

Published

on

Members of “Revolution Now” led by the publisher of Sahara Reporters, Mr Omoyele Sowore, on Monday were attacked by security agents in Osogbo, the Osun State capital as they hit the streets for protest.

Also, a septuagenarian, Mrs Sariyu Akanmu, a hawker, who joined the protesting youths was seriously brutalised by the combined forces of operatives of DSS, Police, and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

Recall that the presidency has since declared Sowore’s call for revolution a treasonable felony, which led to his arrest on Friday by operatives of the Department of Security Service (DSS).

The protesters, after addressing pressmen at NUJ Correspondents’ Chapel early Monday morning subsequently move to hit the street in protest but were violently accosted, brutalised and arrested, including the leader of the group.

Earlier in his address, the leader of the group, Comrade Olawale Adebayo said the call for revolution by Sowore was necessitated by seeming ineptitude and insensitive of the Buhari led administration.

He said every member of the group was convinced that there was an urgent need for Nigerians to clamour for change in the political order and entrenchment of selfless leadership.

He said: The coalition for revolution and other concerned Nigerians all over the nation, and precisely in Osun state today aligned with the pains of the voiceless and oppressed Nigerians, having observed the spate of joblessness, insecurity, hunger, modulated workers salary and fraudulent implication of the Contributory Pension Scheme in Nigeria and especially Osun state.

ALSO READ  2019: Moghalu reveals why Buhari does not deserve to seek re-election

” We are also worried about the menace of estimated electricity billing and epileptic power supply, coupled with the destruction of farms by herdsmen, the inconsiderate and insensitive levies being imposed on our artisans, Okada riders, drivers and traders in the state. We hereby maintain that we have inalienable, constitutional and fundamental human rights to peacefully protest the inadequacies.

“We, therefore, demand the unconditional release of Omoyele Sowore and an end to systemic corruption, brutality, harassment and intimidation, especially in the student populated areas in Osun state and the country at large”.

Osun Osogbo festival, a key contributor to tourism, national economy, says  Ataoja

Continue Reading

Metro

Flood sweeps away high court finance director in Abuja

Published

on

Tony Okecheme, the director of finance at the federal high court in Abuja, has been swept away by a heavy flood.

PUNCH reports that Okecheme was on his way to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in his official 2017 Toyota Camry when his car got stuck in the flood at Galadimawa roundabout, Abuja, on Friday.

Galadimawa is about 15 minutes away from the city center.

While the finance director was swept away by the flood, his driver was rescued and taken to Asokoro hospital, Abuja, by some young men in the area.

It was reported that the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) officials who came to the scene failed to rescue Okecheme and his driver who were reportedly trapped in the flood for about an hour before the water swept away the director.

His car, which was filled with mud water, was later pulled out of the ravines by the rescuers.

Two young girls who claimed to be Okecheme’s children were seen weeping uncontrollably at the scene of the incident.

An FCT judiciary worker, who did not give his name, identified the car as belonging to Okecheme, noting that the man had sent him N40,000 in the morning.

Apart from Galadimawa, other parts affected by the flooding include Karu and Lokogoma.

ALSO READ  2019: Moghalu reveals why Buhari does not deserve to seek re-election

 

NASS siege: Former DSS Director, Amachree reveals people who give Lawal Daura orders

Continue Reading

Metro

Drama as FAAN official ‘steals $600’ from pilgrim

Published

on

Ramatu Luka, an official of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), has been arrested for allegedly stealing $600 belonging to a pilgrim at the Yola airport.

Suleiman Yahaya, spokesman of Adamawa police command, disclosed this to journalists on Thursday in Yola, the state capital.

According to him, Hafsat Mohammed, the pilgrim, was said to have raised the alarm when she discovered that the money was missing in her bag.

Yahaya said that Luka, who was on duty during screening, discovered pepper in the bag of Mohammed which she threatened to seize if she was not given bribe.

Mohammed was said to have given the FAAN official 10 Saudi riyal to allow her travel with the pepper.

“It was during the bribe negotiation that the lady took 600 U.S. dollars from the woman’s bag she was searching,” Yahaya said.

“When the pilgrim later discovered her money was missing, she raised alarm and the money was found in the possession of the FAAN staff member.”

Yahaya said the FAAN official hid the money inside her hair and used her barrette cap to cover it.

He said the case had been referred to CID for further investigation after which the suspect would be charged to court.

ALSO READ  MKO Abiola: Senate gives Buhari 3 conditions to validate GCFR honour on late politician

 

Why  I Return to School – Taska, A Business Tycoon Reveals 

Continue Reading

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending