Connect with us

News

Ibadan palace attack: AIG visits Olubadan

Published

on

Barely twenty-four hours after some unknown gunmen attacked the palace of Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 11, Mr. Oshodi Glover has visited the palace with a promise to track down the fleeing hoodlums.

The AIG, who was accompanied by the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Mr. Abiodun Odude and other top-ranking officers, allayed the fears of the people, promising “to pursue, arrest and prosecute the said gunmen”.

He also expressed dismay at the manner the hoodlums desecrated the palace, saying, “Kabiyesi, it was immediately I heard of what happened here yesterday that I decided to come and visit you.

“I promise you that we are going to pursue the hoodlums and we will make sure they are arrested and brought to book”, he said.

Oba Adetunji while responding appreciated the police boss for his timely visit.

He said, “Whoever does not do it well, does not do it well for himself. Whoever does it well, does it well for himself. The position we occupy today had been occupied before by others. We are here today, and it is a fact that we don’t know who would be there tomorrow. The fact that we don’t know who would be there tomorrow, should teach everyone a lesson that we should be doing good.

“We should all strive to do good. I never dreamt of what happened here yesterday. It was God who protected us and ensured nobody died. I thank God for that. I thank you because I don’t have anyone I need to fight among you. What I know is that God is going to reward everyone according to his deeds”, he said.

Meanwhile, the Authentic Ibadan Mogajis on Tuesday cried foul that their lives were no longer safe in the present circumstance.

Spokesperson of the group, Mogaji Wale Oladoja while condemning the ugly incident asked the Police Force Headquarters to wade in and fortify the palace.

Oladoja who made the position of his colleagues, Mogaji AbdulJelil Adanla and Mogaji Abass Oloko known in a statement made available to journalists declared that the need for the force headquarters to come in became necessary “because the anonymous calls being received from different quarters are warning us to back out of the current struggle to protect our inheritance and centuries of peaceful ascension to the stool of Olubadan”.

Oladoja added that, “You recall two weeks ago, we addressed the press where we urged our revered monarch to begin installation of new Mogajis and Baales to put a stop to the lull in the palace since the unfortunate crowning of 21kings in a single day by the state governor.

“The anonymous callers keep hammering on our roles which culminated in Monday’s ceremony at the palace. We have entered their bad book for standing with Kabiyesi to preserve our culture, system and tradition of Ibadan traditional institution as indivisible entity under the sole kingship of Olubadan”.

Oladoja then appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to take more than passing interest in Oyo State and Ibadanland in particular, saying “if hoodlums could brazenly attack the palace and no arrest was made till now, no effort should be spared to safe the souls of millions of inhabitant and defenceless citizens of the land.”

Similarly, Minister of Communications, Barrister Abdul-Raheem Adebayo Shittu has expressed shock on Monday’s attack on the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadanland.

Shittu in a telephone conversation on Tuesday with Oba Adetunji described the gun attack on Olubadan’s abode as a desecration of culture and tradition.

He said it was inconceivable that anyone would make an attempt to exterminate Kabiyesi and his subjects under any guise.

“I am reluctant to see this as the outcome of a political disagreement with the powers that be. Whatever is their reason, the attackers should be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law”, the Minister said.

Shittu then congratulated Senator Rasheed Ladoja and Chief Abiodun Alli for coming out of the palace unscathed.

He prayed that peace and tranquility will reign in Oyo state at all times even as he urged the State Government to expand consultation and dialogue with all stakeholders.

Also, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, Engineer Seyi Makinde while condemning the attack described it as brigandage of unprecedented proportion.

Makinde in a statement madde available to DAILY POST through his Media Aide, Alhaji Akeem Azeez, revealed that he was shocked and embarrassed by calls from eminent Nigerians drawing his attention to the fact that his hometown, Ibadan, had been in the news in recent times but for the wrong albeit avoidable reasons.

He revealed that in his over 40 years of life as an indigene of Ibadan, he had never heard of when an Olubadan’s palace was attacked.

He said “In Yoruba land, palaces are sacred places and it is anathemic to attack them by any right thinking person.”

Comments

News

FG adds 208MW to national grid, upgrades Ijora, Apapa substations

Published

on

The Federal Government has commissioned upgraded transmission substations at Ijora and Apapa Road in Lagos, adding a combined 208 megawatts of bulk transmission capacity to the national grid.

The projects, inaugurated by the Minister of Power, Joseph Tegbe, are expected to boost electricity supply to major industrial, commercial and residential areas across Lagos.

At the Ijora 132/33kV transmission substation, two new 100MVA transformers have raised the installed capacity from 90MVA to 230MVA, providing an additional 112MW of bulk transmission capacity.

The upgrade is expected to improve power supply to Ijora, Costain, Oyingbo, Customs and adjoining communities within the franchise area of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company.

At the Apapa Road transmission substation, two new 60MVA transformers and modern Gas Insulated Switchgear were installed and energised, increasing the facility’s capacity from 60MVA to 180MVA and adding another 96MW to the transmission network.

The Apapa project is considered particularly important because the area hosts major ports, maritime businesses, logistics companies, warehouses and manufacturing industries. The additional capacity is expected to increase the bulk electricity available to EKEDC for distribution to Apapa Causeway, Ijora, Amukoko, Ajegunle, Apapa Wharf, Tin Can Island and surrounding communities.

Speaking at the commissioning, Tegbe said the projects were part of the Federal Government’s efforts to tackle structural challenges in the nation’s electricity sector.

He said expanding transmission capacity was essential to ensuring that electricity generated was effectively delivered to areas where demand was highest.

According to him, rapid population growth, industrial expansion and increased commercial activities had put considerable pressure on existing power infrastructure, resulting in suppressed load and constrained electricity supply.

Tegbe said reliable electricity remained central to Nigeria’s economic transformation, adding that the administration’s ambition of building a $1tn economy could not be achieved without adequate and dependable power supply.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, Sule Ahmed Abdulaziz, described the projects as a significant investment in strengthening the country’s transmission network. He said the Apapa project was supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency, while the Ijora intervention received support from the World Bank in partnership with TCN.

Abdulaziz called for similar interventions to rehabilitate and upgrade other critical sections of the national transmission network. He said continued investment in the network was necessary to ensure that improvements in power generation translated into better supply for homes and businesses.

The Federal Government said the additional 208MW would improve grid stability and strengthen electricity supply to some of Lagos’ most important commercial and industrial corridors, with the projects expected to support businesses and communities that depend heavily on reliable power.

Continue Reading

News

Nasarawa, firm sign $2m lithium deal

Published

on

Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, on Friday presided over the signing of a $2m supplementary lithium agreement between the state government and Diamond New Energy.

The agreement, signed at the Nasarawa State Governor’s Lodge in Abuja, followed Sule’s recent visit to China and is aimed at securing raw materials for the company’s lithium processing operations in the state.

Speaking at the ceremony, Sule said the agreement would protect the interests of both the state and the company while ensuring that the factory remained operational and workers retained their jobs.

He said, “By keeping your factory operational, we ensure that you continue to get raw material. That is the essence of this agreement.”

The governor added that the state’s decision to secure the necessary licence was also intended to protect its interests in the mining operations.

“We are going to keep your factory functional, and we also have an interest as licence owners in whatever you are doing in your company. More importantly, the people you have employed will remain employed,” Sule said.

The governor urged Diamond New Energy to maintain a peaceful relationship with its host communities and contribute to their development, stressing that the cooperation of the communities was important to the success of the investment.

He further disclosed that payments due to the state under the agreement would be made directly to Nasarawa Mining Company Limited in foreign currency, with the terms subject to periodic review.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Margaret Elayo, commended the investors for their commitment to Nasarawa State.

Elayo expressed optimism that the partnership would encourage more investors to consider the state as a destination for mineral development and other investments.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Nasarawa State Investment Development Agency, Ibrahim Abdullahi, said the latest agreement was an extension of the exclusive mining cooperation agreement signed between the state government and the company in 2024.

According to him, the earlier agreement contributed to the completion of what he described as the largest lithium processing refinery in West Africa.

He said the supplementary agreement would further strengthen investor confidence and allow the continued supply of lithium materials from the state government’s mining block to the refinery.

Abdullahi said the arrangement would also create more employment opportunities for youths and women in the state.

“This supplementary agreement gives credence to these issues. It further gives confidence to the investor to do even more within Nasarawa State,” he said.

He added that the agreement would provide an immediate financial benefit to the state, with Nasarawa expected to receive $2m upon signing, while further revenues would accrue according to the terms of the agreement.

A representative of Diamond New Energy, David Siong, said the company remained committed to deepening its operations in Nasarawa State through local processing of mineral resources, job creation and economic development.

Siong said the company believed in the further development and deep processing of Nasarawa’s mineral resources, adding that it looked forward to continued support from the state government.

Also at the ceremony, the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Isaac Danladi, presented copies of the deed of assignment between Nasarawa Mining Company Limited and Ganfeng Lithium Industry Limited.

Danladi explained that the deed transferred the mining rights and interests of Nasarawa Mining Company within 3.5 mining cadastral units located at Endo, Nasarawa Local Government Area, to Ganfeng Lithium Industry Limited.

He said the transfer followed a review of the terms by the parties involved.

The signing ceremony was witnessed by officials of the state Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, NASIDA, Diamond New Energy and Ganfeng Lithium Industry Limited.

Continue Reading

News

ICPC Recommends Prosecution of Alleged Fake Agency DG, Submits Report to Tinubu

Published

on

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has submitted an interim report to President Bola Tinubu on its investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council, recommending the prosecution of its alleged Director-General, Adeniyi Adeyemi.

ICPC Chairman, Musa Aliyu, disclosed this on Thursday after a meeting with the President at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, exactly 30 days after Tinubu directed the anti-graft agency to investigate the activities of the council.

Aliyu said preliminary findings showed that Adeyemi was never appointed by the Federal Government, adding that the appointment letter, gazette and other documents used to present the council as a government agency were forged.

According to him, the investigation also uncovered lapses in government verification and oversight mechanisms, which were allegedly exploited to create the impression that the PFIPC was a legitimate agency.

“Our interim report found weaknesses in verification, inter-agency oversight and government processes. Those weaknesses were exploited by Adeniyi, with some level of negligence,” Aliyu said.

He added that the commission found no evidence that any Federal Government funds were approved or released to the purported PFIPC or its related entity.

The ICPC chairman further disclosed that investigators uncovered two other agencies allegedly floated by Adeyemi — the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public Private Partnership. He alleged that forged legislative instruments presented as enabling laws were used to facilitate the opening of bank accounts for the organisations.

Aliyu said the commission had recommended Adeyemi’s prosecution and called for administrative sanctions against public officers whose negligence allegedly allowed the fake agency to operate. He also urged the Federal Government to strengthen internal control systems across Ministries, Departments and Agencies to prevent similar incidents.

He, however, stressed that the report submitted to the President was only an interim one, noting that investigations were ongoing to identify other collaborators and build a stronger criminal case capable of withstanding judicial scrutiny.

The PFIPC controversy came to public attention after the Presidency disowned the council, insisting it was never established by the Federal Government despite appearing in the 2026 Appropriation Act with a budget allocation of ₦1.3bn. The Federal Government has since filed criminal charges against Adeyemi over alleged forgery, impersonation and fraudulent misrepresentation, while separate investigations by the House of Representatives and the ICPC are continuing into how the purported agency operated within government institutions.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending