Oyo NANS Congratulates Sangodoyin Over Appointment, Charges Him To Hit The Ground Running - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

Education

Oyo NANS Congratulates Sangodoyin Over Appointment, Charges Him To Hit The Ground Running

Published

on

The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Oyo State has congratulated Prof. Daud Sangodoyin on his inauguration as the State Commissioner for Education  by Governor Seyi Makinde.

The congratulatory message was issued on Saturday in Ibadan, the state capital by its Chairman, Comrade Asubiojo, Olujuwon (Marshal).

The message  reads, “We have no doubt that with his rich educational background, qualification, vast experience and proven leadership acumen, Prof. Sangodoyin  will effectively handle the education ministry to reflect the educational yearnings and aspirations of this administration as said by His Excellency, Engr. Seyi Makinde and the National Policy on Education.

“We strongly desire that he hit the ground running by attending speedily to issues impeding the growth of education in the Pace setter state”.

“As NANS, Oyo state look forward to working closely with the ministry to further strengthen the education sector. We seize this medium to thank His Excellency, Engr. Seyi Makinde for approving bursary for Oyo Law School students and appeal that this kind gesture be extended to other students in the state”, the message continued.

 

 

ALSO READ  Oyo Holds Monthly Environmental Sanitation Exercise Tomorrow
Comments

Education

Exclusive: Ibarapa Poly SUG frowns at ‘unjust harassment of female student’  by lecturer, seeks justice

Published

on

The Ibarapa Polytechnic Students’ Union Government (SUG)  on Wednesday frowned at what it described as an unjust harassment of one of  the institution’s female students identified as Olufunke (Surname withheld) of HND I, Mass Communication Department by Dr Adegbenjo Adewale Oladapo, a lecturer in the department of  mechanical engineering.

Oladapo, who is said to also chairs  the ASUP union of the school, was said to have slapped the female student over an alleged ‘Immoral Dressing. The Students’ Union, however dismissed the lecturer’s claim, describing it as baseless and untrue.

 

Also, the SUG has given a three-day ultimatum to the lecturer to tender unreserved apology to the assaulted student .

The SUG, in a press statement jointly signed by its  President, Comrade Ashaolu Victor Samuel and  Comrade Abdulrauf Abdulazeez ( Public Relations Officer) on Wednesday in Eruwa and made available to Mega Icon Magazine reads in part, “as a matter of fact, the whole students populace have expressed their annoyance at this development, bringing up complaints of same nature about same Dr Adegbenjo Adewale Oladapo in times past. Consequently, we specifically establish that such action of Dr Adegbenjo is illegal, unjust and unbecoming of man of his cadre.

“Apparently, the leadership of the SUG stands to express our displeasure and dismay on the issue as it is a big slap on our face. We firmly demand Dr Adegbenjo Adewale Oladapo, ASUP Chairman, Lecturer in Mechanical Department to publicly make unreserved apology to the assaulted student of HND 1, Mass Communication Department within 3 days of this message”.

ALSO READ  Oyo Lg  election was not conducted against a court order - ALGON replies Makinde

Efforts to speak with the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Olayiwola through his cell phone number – 234 810 353 2776 was unsuccessful as his phone was switched off as at press time.

But, our reporter on Thursday morning learnt that Mr Olayiwola had been replaced by Mr Adisa Oketayo as the new Public Relations Officer of the institution.

Confirming the development through a telephone conversation, Oketayo said the Students protested on Monday at the Acting Rector’s office but he later saw the news on the social media platform yesterday’s evening.

Oketayo, however maintained that he has not been briefed  about the matter.

Continue Reading

Education

Oyo govt. moves to intervene in Oluyole LGA schools

Published

on

Oyo SUBEB Chair, Dr. Nureni Adeniran addressing teachers, at Methodist Basic School, Adeyipo Olomi-Yeye.

Oyo state government has approved the construction of new blocks of classrooms at two rural public schools, namely  Methodist Basic School, Adeyipo Olomi-Yeye and Union of Ratibi, School 2, Idi-iroko, Oluyole Local Government Universal Basic Education Authourity, Ibadan.

Chairman, Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Dr. Nureni Adeniran disclosed this at Oluyole Local Government Area, during an on-the-spot inspection of the rural schools.

Adeniran disclosed at Olomi-Yeye in Oluyole local government area of the state that the construction would be enlisted as part of its 2019 FGN-UBEC/OYOSUBEB intervention project.

The visit was prompted by a viral post on the social media, which called for Oyo state government’s intervention in the sorry state of learning at Methodist Primary School, Olomi-Yeye, Ibadan.

Promising that the schools would also be provided with furniture and other needed facilities, the Chairman noted that “It is very pathetic to see these children learning under a bad condition like this”

Adeniran appreciated the good intent of users of social media, who posted pictures of the schools online, saying this has assisted the  government in identifying such schools.

“When we saw this via the social media, we decided to visit this place promptly and see what we can do. We must sincerely thank the social media user who posted pictures of Methodist Basic School. That was what prompted our coming here today”, he added.

ALSO READ  Oyo 2019: Ajanaku, Adepoju's Names Missing On INEC National Assembly Final List

Dr. Adeniran reiterated the resolution of this administration to revamp the education sector, by strongly considering rural communities in the distribution of buildings and learning facilities.

He noted that the basic education sector is a component of development, which the present administration under Governor Seyi Makinde earnestly would change.

Dr Adeniran, who lauded the teachers for their dedication and kind gesture to the pupils said other rural schools in the State would enjoy such intervention, noting that the children also deserve to learn under conducive environment.

“We would ensure we give them a block of four classrooms with toilet facilities and borehole. Schools such as this deserve to enjoy what schools in the Urban region are enjoying too”, he added.

 

 

Continue Reading

Education

Oyo govt. sets to recruit 7,000 teachers, 3,600 non-teaching staff

Published

on

By

The Oyo state governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde has given a directive to the Teaching Service Commission (TESCOM) to recruit no fewer than  7,000 teachers; 2,000 non-teaching staff and 1,600 night guards.

This is coming six years after the government of Oyo State last recruited secondary school teachers.

The chairman of TESCOM, Pastor Akinade Alamu, who confirmed the development during a press conference on Tuesday, added that Governor Makinde equally directed that applicants should be given the forms free of charge.

The TESCOM boss also informed that the application form would be in circulation for two weeks after which the applicants will write an aptitude test.

He lauded the governor’s compassionate directive to give forms to applicants for free, adding that all applicants could access the forms at any of the six TESCOM zonal offices in the state and its headquarters at the Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan.

The zonal offices include; Ibadan Zone 1, Ibadan Zone 2, Saki, Ogbomoso, Oyo and Eruwa.

Alamu informed that applicants would only need to present their local government identification before they could get a form, hinting, however, that this was not by any means discriminatory or shutting the door against applicants who are not indigenes of Oyo State.

He said: “We received approval from His Excellency, Engineer Seyi Makinde, to recruit 7,000 teachers, 2,000 non-teaching staff and 1,600 night guards for all the schools in Oyo State and, immediately, we started the exercise. And we have gone to the press to place the advertisement.

“When the governor became aware that we were to collect N1,000 from each applicant, he gave a directive that the forms should be given freely to all applicants in the state. And, in his usual compassionate attitude, he said he would not want people coming from Saki, Kisi, Ogbomoso, Oyo and other distant areas to come down and pay 1,000 to the bank, wait for confirmation from the Accountant-General, before they finally come to obtain the form from us.

ALSO READ  NASS siege: Revelations emerge as ex-DSS DG, Daura opens up

“He said he would not want people to undergo these rigours and that the forms should be given to all applicants free of charge. So, we have started that this morning.

“Also, the governor directed that the forms should be made available at all the zones in Oyo State. There are six zones and the head office is the seventh centre where the forms will be given to the applicants.

“The addresses of our offices are as follows: Ibadan Zone 1, Leaf Road, opposite NTC; Ibadan zone 2, Bishop Philips Academy, Iwo Road. People can go there to obtain the form. Oyo zone is located opposite Ajayi Crowther University’s main gate, Oyo. In Ogbomoso, they can obtain forms at the TESCOM zonal office, Atenda, Ogbomoso. At Saki, we have our office at the Old Teachers College. In Eruwa, they can get it at our zonal office located at the local government headquarters. People can also come to the headquarters here at Secretariat to obtain the forms. Nobody should collect any money from any applicant.

“However, what we want, which we think will serve as control is, people will have to come with their local government identification to obtain the forms. They will fill and submit the form to us, and after the closing of the exercise – that is in two weeks – we will announce the date for the examination. This is because we expect that there will be so many applicants and we know we won’t be able to conduct a face-to-face interview for all of them at once. So, there will be a computer-based test to prune down their number. All those that are qualified will later be invited for an interview after the examination.”

ALSO READ  PSquare’s lawyer, Festus Keyamo opens up on split

Responding to questions from newsmen, Pastor Alamu maintained that the government has put in a place the arrangement for applicants to present their local government identification even if they were not from Oyo State, noting that this would serve as a control for the system.

“As for whether people can obtain the form by proxy, let me say this, we have a system which we have put in place whereby you come with your local government identification card. This will serve as a control. And before you get the form, they will look at your local government identification. The name will be out on our register and we will give you a form on which the number of the form given to you will be recorded in our register.”

He added that the recruitment exercise was only being done through collection of forms in the seven locations, warning prospective applicants to be wary of arrangements that might lure them to paying fees for online recruitment.

He said: “Actually, doing it online is an option but we have started this and the governor has graciously, in his compassionate manner, said we should send these forms to the zones where people can obtain them without going to distant places. So, this is the arrangement we have put in place.

ALSO READ  Just In: Makinde reshuffles cabinet, swaps Education, Establishment commissioners

“As to whether you can bring your local government identification card even if you are not an indigene of Oyo State, we won’t say no. Bring it but it is the result of the weeding test that will tell us those who are qualified to take up this appointment or not. So, we are not discriminating at all but using a method to control, so that it won’t be open to people who are not even qualified.

“The forms are available from today to 24th of February. Some people, in anxiety, have gone to the banks to pay without getting clarification from us and I don’t think we will accept responsibility for such loss,” Alamu concluded.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: