The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) Oyo State chapter, has demanded a comprehensive investigation into the allegations of financial misappropriation, mismanagement and extortion by the management of the University of Ibadan (UI), Mega Icon Magazine exclusively gathered.
The association led by its Chairman, Comrade Asubiojo Olujuwon Marshal, in a petition submitted on Tuesday at the Ibadan Office of the Economic & Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) called for thorough investigation of its allegations and subsequent prosecution.
Contained in the petition, NANS accused the management of the University of Ibadan (UI) of continued collection of a compulsory students’ union levy of N200 for two consecutive sessions after the students’ union was summarily suspended by the same management, wondering where such sums now accumulating into millions of Naira has ended up, as the fee is being charged both from postgraduate and undergraduate students.
Another issue raised in the petition, also of paramount interest was the Identity Card (I.D Card Issue) which it said was only resolved recently.
“An incident that saw students not issued ID cards for two full sessions and when the issuance was eventually done, an entire session was fraudulently by passed as students only received ID cards for the last session, and not the one before. Also, several students graduated within this period without receiving these I.D cards, and as the time of this petition, we have no knowledge of any refund system to address this.
“Equally worthy of your due reference and attention is the very suspicious technology fee, which was levied on students for the 2019/2020 session for the first time. The said fee is being charged at the sum of N6,500 per student and yet key members of the university management have declined that such is meant for the provision of internet facilities. It is instead claimed that such fee is only meant for “Portal access”. Please note that the same “Portal access” was previously charged at just N2,500. We wonder what new technology is being developed to warrant an increment of over 200%.
“Furthermore, despite the fact that students are still being charged every session for the issuance of the students information handbook, as attached school receipt indicates, no issuance of such, either by hand, post or any known means has been done in the last five sessions. This is surely a blatant case of extortion and should be duly addressed.
“In our capacity as the voice of Nigerian students in Oyo state, we are appalled and aggrieved that such referenced atrocities of corruption are being nonchalantly displayed in the premier university, and we trust that you will not just look into this petition”.
NANS, however called for thorough and credible investigation of the allegations by the anti-graft body without minding whose ox was gored in the interest of justice and fairness.
EFCC Docks Oyo Permanent Secretary Over Alleged N4.4m Scam
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ibadan Zonal Office has arraigned a Permanent Secretary in the Oyo State Ministry of Agriculture, Alhaji Rasaq Kolawole, for allegedly defrauding one Ibikunle Alonge of N4,400.000 (Four Million, Four Hundred Thousand Naira).
Kolawole was arraigned before Justice Aderonke Aderemi of the Oyo State High Court on Wednesday,
on one-count charge of obtaining money under false pretence.
The offence is against Section 1 (2) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the same Act.
The victim of his alleged crime had written a petition to the EFCC in which he accused the top public servant of fraudulently collecting the sum from him as part payment for a piece of land situated at Alabata Olosoko area of Moniya, Ibadan.
He further alleged that it was after making the payment that he got to know that the land actually belonged to one Mrs. Ali (now deceased ), adding that all efforts to get a refund thereafter was unsuccessful.
The one- count charge read: “That you, Alhaji Kolawole Rasaq on or about the 2nd of October, 2018, at Ibadan within the Ibadan Judicial Division of this honourable court with intent to defraud, obtained the sum of N4,400,000 (Four Million and Four Hundred Thousand Naira only) from one Alonge Ibikunle through Pastor Adeyemi Fabayo by falsely pretending that it was part payment of the cost price of eleven and half plots of land situated, lying and being at Alabata Olokoso area, via Moniya area, Ibadan which you purported to have sold to him.
Kolawole pleaded not-guilty to the charge. In view of his plea, prosecuting counsel, Dr. Ben Ubi, prayed the court for a date for the commencement of trial.
Justice Aderemi admitted the defendant to bail on self- recognizance and adjourned the matter to June 24 and 25, 2020 for trial.
Oyo Operation Burst Gets New DG
Oyo State governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, has appointed Colonel Oladipo Ajibola (retd) as the Director-General of the Operation Burst, a state-backed security apparatus that comprises officers of the Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
Moses Also, the Special Assistant to the governor, on Print Media made the appointment public on Tuesday.
According to the statement, Governor Makinde charged Oladipo to deploy his wealth of experience in the military and security services to leading the Operation Burst in collaborating with other security agencies to achieve the administration’s objective of a secured Oyo State.
Col. Oladipo (retd) holds a Diploma in Education from the University of Ibadan as well as Diplomas in Administration and Special Operations from the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration and the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center, Fort. Bragg NC. United States of America.
Col. Oladipo (retd) took part in different national and international assignments including being deployed to Angola as Military Observer and Military Assistant to CMO in 1993; leading the five Nation Military Security Assessment to Liberia and serving as the Commanding Officer NIBATT 7, UNAMSIL-Sierra Leone in 2001-2002.
He also served as Chief Instructor, Depot Nigerian Army; Chief of Staff-HQ1 Division, Nigerian Army, Kaduna and Commander/Nigerian Contingent Commander Africa Mission in Sudan.
After leaving the military, he has also served in different capacities as General Manager, EXL Security & Protection Services LTD; Assistant General Manager, Aviation Security, FAAN and Managing Director, Glosat Security Services LTD.
Covid-19: Police intercept Sokoto travellers at Osun-Ibadan boundary
Officers of the Nigeria Police have apprehended 11 travellers from Sokoto, who defied the inter-state lockdown order of the Oyo State Government, in their bid to sneak into Akure, Ondo State.
Governor of Oyo State, Engineer Seyi Makinde, has, however declared that the travellers will not be released to the Sokoto State Government until they undergo Covid-19 tests.
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, quoted the him as stating that the government has begun Covid-19 tests for the travellers.
The state’s Commissioner of Police, Sina Olukolu, who briefed Governor Makinde on his arrival at the Gbagi Police Station, where the culprits were detained overnight, said that the travellers were apprehended at the Asejire Dam axis of the Ibadan-Osun boundary, adding that they claimed that they were travelling from Sokoto enroute to Akure, Ondo State.
The statement noted that the travellers would remain isolated until the results of their Covid-19 tests were received from the state.
Governor Makinde, who spoke afterwards, said: “We are not able to explain how they got here in the first place because there is inter-state lockdown throughout the country.
“They claimed they came from Sokoto and they must have passed through so many states.”
The governor also explained that he has given directives to the effect that the travellers would be kept isolated in Ibadan until the results of their Covid-19 tests are received.
The governor also explained that he was in touch with the Sokoto State governor, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, and that the travellers would be sent back to Sokoto State.
He said that the state would intensify ongoing strategies for inter-state lockdown.
He said: “I am also in discussion with the governor of Sokoto State. We are more than likely going to return them to Sokoto.”
The governor maintained that governors in the country were still discussing on how to enforce the inter-state lockdown throughout the country so as to curtail the spread of the novel Coronavirus.
“It is a discussion going on with the rest governors in Nigeria, because inter-state lockdown was put in place for a particular reason and what we have agreed to do is, in each individual state where you have inter-state motor parks, they must be on lockdown. If they are locked down, at least 80 to 85 per cent of our problems would have been solved.
“It is an ongoing discussion and I believe that will be the ultimate way to go.”
In his response during the interrogation, the driver of the bus, who identified himself as Muhammad Idris, said they passed through old roads and bushes from Sokoto to Niger and Kwara and then got into Ogbomoso, from where they entered Ibadan.
He added that they were going to Akure “to reconcile with their family members.”
Members of the medical team of the COVID-19 Task Force were readily on hand to administer COVID-19 tests on the travellers to determine their status.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
Politics2 days ago
Breaking News: Ex-Governor Ajimobi’s Aide, Aboderin Joins PDP
Politics6 days ago
Not Yet Uhuru As Oyo Speaker Still Under Impeachment Web
Education4 days ago
Ibadan Poly unveils Nigerian made ventilator, automated handwashing machine
News1 week ago
COVID-19: Curfew now 8pm to 5am, as Oyo govt. begins mass testing