Connect with us

Sports

Mbappe takes centre stage for PSG in absence of Messi, Neymar

Published

on

Paris Saint-Germain’s French forward Kylian Mbappe reacts during the French L1 football match between Stade Brestois and Paris Saint-Germain at Francis-Le Ble Stadium in Brest on August 20, 2021. LOIC VENANCE / AFP

Lionel Messi, Neymar and a host of other South American stars are missing for Paris Saint-Germain this weekend but Kylian Mbappe will take centre stage after starring for France in their successful UEFA Nations League campaign.

Messi, along with Leandro Paredes and Angel Di Maria, is with Argentina for their 2022 World Cup qualifier against Peru which was not due to kick off until early on Friday morning, French time.

Neymar and Marquinhos have been with Brazil, due to play Uruguay in a qualifier at the same time.

A third round of South American World Cup qualifiers in quick succession, so close to the weekend, has caused problems for clubs in Europe, where so many leading players are based.

PSG are one of many forced to prepare for matches this weekend without their South American stars, who will not be able to return in time.

“The different federations and FIFA all need to come together so that this type of situation doesn’t happen again,” said PSG coach Mauricio Pochettino when asked about the manic schedule facing his players.

However, he added: “I am not looking for excuses. We have a big squad and it gives a chance to other players.”

Mbappe is available and on a high after scoring two goals and setting up two more as France won the Nations League in Italy.

Mbappe, who scored in the 2018 World Cup final as a teenager, got the decisive goal in last weekend’s final against Spain in Milan.

The 22-year-old’s future remains a subject of much debate with his contract up at the end of this season and Real Madrid waiting in the wings.

“The club will do everything to keep Kylian,” Pochettino told Spanish radio station Cope this week when inevitably pressed on the matter.

“As coach I would love him to stay here for many years to come.”

In Ligue 1 Mbappe has scored four goals this season with PSG already six points clear of Lens at the top of the table despite seeing their perfect start ended in a 2-0 defeat at Rennes two weeks ago.

After Friday’s game they play host to RB Leipzig in the Champions League in what will be their first European outing since beating Manchester City late last month.

Player to watch: Mohamed-Ali Cho

Cho was born in the Paris suburbs and spent time in PSG’s academy, so it will be a special occasion when he comes up against the capital side with Angers this weekend.

Still just 17, winger Cho is a prodigious talent who has already played in 30 top-flight games.

Cho actually spent much of his childhood in England and represented them as a youth international while on the books at Everton.

However, having signed professional terms with Angers, he has broken into the France Under-21 side at the start of this season and looks to have a very exciting future ahead of him.

Key stats

4 – Mbappe has gone four Ligue 1 games without scoring, his longest drought in France’s top flight since May 2018.

190 – The total number of minutes played in Ligue 1 by Messi since he joined PSG.

17 – The number of goals scored by Lille’s Jonathan David in Ligue 1 in 2021. He is fresh from scoring for Canada in a 2022 World Cup qualifier against Panama on Wednesday.

Fixtures (kick-offs GMT)

Friday

Paris Saint-Germain v Angers (1900)

Saturday

Clermont v Lille (1500), Lyon v Monaco (1900)

Sunday

Troyes v Nice (1100), Bordeaux v Nantes, Brest v Reims, Metz v Rennes, Strasbourg v Saint-Etienne (all 1300), Montpellier v Lens (1500), Marseille v Lorient (1845)

 

Comments

Sports

Oyo APC Demands Probe of N5.5bn Lekan Salami Stadium Renovation

Published

on

The Oyo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and other anti-graft agencies to investigate the N5.5bn reportedly spent on the renovation of the Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan, by the administration of Governor Seyi Makinde.

The party made the call following the reported rejection of the stadium by the Confederation of African Football as a venue for Shooting Stars Sports Club’s continental campaign.

Shooting Stars secured qualification for continental football after about 28 years but will reportedly play its home matches in Abeokuta after the Ibadan stadium failed to meet CAF’s requirements.

In a statement made available to journalists in Ibadan on Tuesday, the Oyo APC Publicity Secretary, Olawale Sadare, described the development as disappointing and embarrassing to the state.

The party alleged that the CAF decision had raised questions about the quality of work carried out at the stadium and the funds reportedly committed to its renovation.

Sadare said the state government should explain why a facility said to have gulped N5.5bn could not secure approval to host a continental competition.

He said, “Everyone in the state should ask Governor Makinde to explain the circumstances surrounding the stadium’s failure to secure approval for the CAF Confederation Cup and provide details of the funds committed to its renovation and upgrading.”

The APC also criticised what it described as the alleged delivery of substandard projects by the Makinde administration, citing the recent erosion that reportedly damaged part of a road project in Bodija shortly after its commissioning.

The party said the stadium’s failure to host Shooting Stars’ continental fixtures was particularly unfortunate because the club’s return to African competition after nearly three decades should have provided Oyo State with an opportunity to showcase its sporting infrastructure to a wider African audience.

The APC therefore urged the EFCC and other relevant anti-graft agencies to investigate the award and execution of the stadium project, establish how the funds were spent and make anyone found culpable to face the law.

It also called on the state government to urgently address the deficiencies identified at the stadium and ensure that the facility is upgraded to meet international standards and capable of hosting major continental competitions in the future.

Continue Reading

Sports

UCL Final: ‘I hope last year’s loss to PSG still hurts’ – Wilshere messages Arsenal

Published

on

By

Wilshere messages Arsenal

Former Arsenal star, Jack Wilshere, has sent a message to the Gunners ahead of their UEFA Champions League final with Paris Saint-Germain.

Arsenal will take on the French Ligue 1 giants in the Champions League final this year in Budapest on Saturday evening.

Mikel Arteta’s side had lost 3-1 on aggregate against PSG in the Champions League semi-final stage last year.

Speaking on TNT Sports (via GOAL), Wilshere remembered Arsenal about their last year’s defeat to PSG and urged them to use it as a revenge to get a win against Luis Enrique’s side when both sides meet again this weekend.

“Now that the Premier League is over the line, I know that the Premier League was the one. I know that Mikel wanted that. I know that the boys wanted that,” Wilshere said.

“Now you have to go through some tough times and learn from it. I hope that the Champions League semi-final [PSG 3-1 Arsenal] last year hurt them enough that they can go on and use that [against PSG].

“I think when you are on the pitch, and you are playing against your direct opponent, you learn so much about them. And to face them next year, they will be better for that.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Ajibade: Super Falcons Eye World Dominance as Tinubu Rewards Team with Honours, Houses, Cash

Published

on

 

Captain of the Super Falcons, Rasheedat Ajibade, has said the team is determined to become the best women’s football team in the world.

Ajibade spoke yesterday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during a reception hosted by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in honour of the Falcons following their victory at the 2024 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) in Morocco.

The Nigerian ladies clinched their 10th continental title after a hard-fought campaign, further cementing their status as Africa’s most successful women’s team.

Ajibade, in an emotional speech, said the team’s goal goes beyond continental glory.

“We’re not content to rest on our laurels. Our vision is bold. We want to become the best women’s football team in the world,” the Atletico Madrid star said.

She described herself as “a proud daughter of Nigeria” and paid tribute to the dreams of young girls across the country who look up to the team.

“This victory is not just a trophy. It is a testament to the unyielding spirit of Nigeria. It is a celebration of every young girl in our villages, towns, and cities who dares to dream,” she said.

Ajibade, who spoke on behalf of the team, coaches, and technical crew, thanked the Federal Government for its support and appealed for continued investment in women’s football.

President Tinubu, in his address, conferred national honours of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) on all 24 players and the 11-member technical crew.

The President also approved the allocation of three-bedroom apartments to each team member under the Renewed Hope Housing Scheme and a cash reward of the naira equivalent of $100,000 for each player, while members of the technical team received $50,000 each.

He praised the Falcons for lifting the nation’s spirit and inspiring unity through their performance.

“You have inspired millions, especially young girls who now see proof that their dreams are valid and achievable,” Tinubu said.

“You have inspired me too. You represent the hope of today, tomorrow, and the day after. You ignited that hope. And we will continue to encourage you and the next generation.”

The President said the Falcons’ WAFCON victory was not just a sporting feat but a symbol of the courage, discipline and resilience that define Nigerians.

“Your victory represents more than a sporting accomplishment. It is a triumph of courage, determination, discipline, and consistency,” he said.

The reception was attended by top government officials, sports administrators, and stakeholders in the football community.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending