How Sowore planned to overthrow Buhari, free El-Zakzaky – DSS - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

National Issues

How Sowore planned to overthrow Buhari, free El-Zakzaky – DSS

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) has said its investigation so far revealed that ‘Revolution Now’ was smokescreen for the actual intention of Omoyele Sowore, the candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) in the last presidential election, to overthrow President Buhari.

The security agency also alleged that Sowore intended to free Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, the detained leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) having received millions of Dollars from foreign sponsors.

The DSS also said it engaged in a painstaking investigation of Sowore’s activities in view of the quantum of evidence so far gathered and may return to court to seek an extension of the 45 days granted it by the Federal High Court, Abuja to detain him.

The DSS made this known in a fresh document it filed at the Federal High Court on Monday in response to an application by Sowore, challenging the court’s order, granting the security agency 45 days to detain him pending investigation.

In the counter-affidavit deposed to by Godwin Agbadua, an official of the DSS, it was stated that Sowore was arrested on reasonable suspicion of having committed a capital offence, upon his alleged involvement in terrorists’ activities.

“The respondent/applicant (Sowore) planned to violently change the government through the hashtag RevolutionNow. The respondent/applicant hid under the cover of call for mass protest with the hashtag RevolutionNow to mislead unsuspecting and innocent members of the public into joining him to topple the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

ALSO READ  Revealed : 11,000 Youths shortlisted for NPower in Oyo.

“In his plot to topple the government the respondent/applicant held series of meetings with members at a prescribed terrorists‘organisation, Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) with a view to mobilizing strong forces to realize his agenda at changing the government

“The respondent formed an alliance with a fugitive, Nnamdi Kanu, a self-acclaimed leader of the proscribed terrorists group, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), to launch series of attacks on Nigeria with a view to violently removing the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

“After series of closed-door meetings between the duo in the United States of America, they addressed a press conference wherein they both stated their resolve to form alliance against the Nigerian government, the duo stated that they have a well-planned out strategy to realize their objective, which is toppling the government.

“The applicant/respondent is investigating the activities of the respondent /applicant as it relates to a terrorists organisation, IPOB. The facts show a conjecture between the respondent/applicant and IPOB activities.

“There is the need for the applicant/respondent to investigate such reasonable suspicion of the relationship between the respondent/applicant and IPOB.

“The respondent held series of meetings with some foreign collaborators outside Nigeria including Dubai where millions of dollars were given to him to sponsor a widespread attack on Nigeria with a view to violently removing the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and freeing Ibrahim Yaqub Elzakzaky (Shaikh).

ALSO READ  Nigeria Election Result: INEC postpones announcement of presidential results

“In furtherance to the plans to violently free Elzakzaky from lawful custody. The respondent held several meetings with a proscribed terrorist’s organisation. Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) where they strategized on how to carry out attacks to force the government to free Elzakzaky.

“The respondent stated in one of his videos that Shiite members, who are members of the proscribed terrorists group, IMN were going to join forces with him in bringing down the government. The statement and the meetings of the respondent/applicant raises issue of grave suspicion of supporting a proscribed terrorists’ organisation, IMN.

“The suspicions require diligent investigation by the applicant/respondent. The planned action constitutes a threat of violence to intimidate or cause panic in members of the public as a means of affecting political conduct

“The investigation is still ongoing. Upon the completion of investigation, the case file will be forwarded to the office of the Attorney General of the Federation for advice and possible prosecution,” DSS said.

Again, Court Orders Forfeiture Of Property Linked To Diezani

Continue Reading
Comments

National Issues

Fayemi reacts to xenophobic attacks, says South African leaders must take convincing actions

Published

on

By

The Chairman Nigeria Governors’ Forum, Dr. Kayode Fayemi has called on South African authorities to do more to pacify keen observers of the Xenophobic developments in the country.

Fayemi recalled the roles played by Nigerians and Africans towards liberating South Africans in their days of struggle asking that such should be reciprocated.

“The South African struggle was a Pan African project. I recall what many parents did in Nigeria , everybody contributed. As a Young University student I was a volunteer in the ANC Chief representative office in Lagos, spending greater part of my youth involved in the struggle to free South Africa”, Fayemi recalled.

He continued : “Leaders in South Africa need to really demonstrate that they actually understand what Africans are saying to them. South Africa is not an Island.”

Fayemi stated that showing aggression and putting a uniform tag of criminality on all foreigners in South Africa is an error of judgement which smacks of ignorance and ingratitude.

But he calls for caution in the clamour by some protesters that Nigeria should sever ties with the Country as he highlights the peculiarity of international relations.

“Foreign relations is not handled in a precipitate manner, countries go through processes, I believe we haven’t got to the stage yet where we cut off relationship with South Africa”, the Ekiti state governor noted.

ALSO READ  Illegal Abattoirs Sealed in Ibadan

Continue Reading

National Issues

London varsity bans beef to curb climate change

Published

on

Goldsmiths University, London, has banned all beef products from its campus “to help fight climate change”.

CNN is reporting that the university also announced an additional levy of 12 cents on bottled water and single-use plastics.

Frances Corner, the university’s warden, was quoted as saying the measures is part of steps introduced to help the fight against climate crisis.

Beef is said to be responsible for 41% of livestock greenhouse gas emissions, and livestock accounts for 14.5% of total global emissions in the world.

But the university — which seeks to become carbon neutral by 2025 — said the product will be scrapped from its campus menu when the new academic year begins.

“The changes come as part of a major drive to cut carbon use across Goldsmiths as the College joins other universities and institutions in declaring a climate emergency and announcing a determined aim to become a carbon neutral organisation by 2025,” Corner said.

“I truly believe we face a defining moment in global history and Goldsmiths now stands shoulder to shoulder with other organizations willing to call the alarm and take urgent action to cut carbon use.

“The growing global call for organisations to take seriously their responsibilities for halting climate change is impossible to ignore.

ALSO READ  ‘My father won’t forgive me if I remain in APC with Ajimobi -Ex-Oyo governor’s son, Adedapo Lam-Adesina writes Tinubu [Full letter]

“Though I have only just arrived at Goldsmiths, it is immediately obvious that our staff and students care passionately about the future of our environment and that they are determined to help deliver the step change we need to cut our carbon footprint drastically and as quickly as possible.”

 

Interview with Africa’s richest woman, Isabel dos Santos of Angola

Continue Reading

National Issues

No secret graveyards in the Northeast theatre, Army reacts to WSJ publication

Published

on

By

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has condemned in totality a publication by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) which alleged that the army has been burying scores of soldiers in secret unmarked graves, in a bid to cover up the casualty figures in the ongoing war against insurgency within the North East. 

The Defence Headquarters ( DHQ), while reacting to the WSJ publication, debunked the reports stating that there are no secret graveyards in the North East Theatre.

Contained, in a communique by the Director Defence Information, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, the military states that “this insinuation can only emanate from an uninformed position of the author of the said publication.”

The communique informed that “the Armed Forces of Nigeria has a rich and solemn tradition for the internment” of its fallen heroes.

Its further reads, “It must be unambiguously clarified that the Armed Forces of Nigeria does not indulge in secret burials, as it is sacrilegious and a profanity to extant ethos and traditions of the Nigerian military.”

Colonel Nwachukwu, also explained that in tandem with the traditions of the Armed Forces, fallen heroes are duly honoured and paid the last respect in befitting military funeral of international standard, featuring funeral parade, gravesite oration, solemn prayers for the repose of departed souls by Islamic and Christian clerics, as well as gun salutes, aside other military funeral rites.

ALSO READ  Go and start as councillor – Shittu, Sowore‎ in verbal war

According to the DHQ spokesman, “The cemetery described in the publication, which is situated in Maimalari military cantonment is an officially designated military cemetery for the Armed Forces of Nigeria in the North East theatre, with a cenotaph erected in honour of our fallen heroes.

“The official cemetery has played host to several national and international dignitaries, where wreaths were laid in honour of the fallen heroes.

“It is, therefore, a far cry from the sacrilegious impression being painted by Wall Street Journal.”

The DHQ urged members of the Armed Forces and the general public to disregard “such a misinformed publication and see it as a figment of the imagination of the writer, whose knowledge of military valued ethos and traditions is grossly misplaced”.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: