Former aide of the immediate past Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo state, Mr Inaolaji Akinloye Ridwan has raised alarm over threat to his life by an unknown person.
Already, the former Liaison Officer to Oyo state government on Information and a social commentator, Inaolaji has petitioned the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Shina Olukolu alleging that his life is no longer safe.
In a petition dated February 5, 2020 and addressed to the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Inaolaji Akinloye Ridwan alleged that on the 24th day of January, 2020, briefly after contributing to a radio call in programme in Ibadan, he received a call on his contact phone number 08038604085 by an unknown person around 11:37pm in the late hours of the midnight who threatened him severely and severally with death. The governor’s aide added that the said unknown person again warned him sternly never to participate (I.e Call in to contribute or attended any invited radio programme) in any radio or other on air presentation, reechoing that his life has been heavily paid for.
The petition written by his lawyers Othniel Idowu Falana ESQ, on behalf of Inaolaji titled “Petition Against Incessant Threat to Life of Inaolaji Akinloye Ridwan By An Unknown Individual and Appeal to Safe The Life of Inaolaji Akinloye Ridwan From Untimely Death And Constant Threat to His Life” respectively.
According to the petition made available to Mega Icon Magazine, following this constant threat by the said unknown person, Inaolaji had approached the Akobo Police Station to lodge a complaint, where he was asked to write a statement in that regard for appropriate documentation and swift response to the complaint. He also informed that he went to the Oyo State Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), Dugbe division to further lodged the complaint of incessant threat to his life.
The petition reads in part, “It is our client instruction to us that on the 24th day of January, 2020, briefly after contributing to a radio call in programme in Ibadan, Oyo state, he received a call on his contact phone number 08038604085 by an unknown person around 11:37pm in the late hours of the midnight who threatened him severely and severally with death. Furthermore, our client informed us that the said unknown person again warned him sternly never to participate (I.e call in to contribute or attended any invited radio programme) in any radio or other on air presentation again, stating further that our client’s life has been heavily paid for.
“On the following day around the same time, the unknown person in further effort called our client reminding him of his previous threat to kill him thereby telling our client to get really prepared as he was set to kill our client before the end of last month, January 2020. This was also followed with series of continuous threat by the same unknown person to our client and this has made our client to continue to live in danger and apprehension of losing his life untimely.
“Following this constant threat by the said unknown person, our client approached the Akobo Police Station to lodge a complaint, where he was asked to write a statement in that regard for appropriate documentation and swift response to the.said complaint. Our client also informed us that he went to the Oyo State Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), Dugbe division to further lodge the complaint of incessant threat to his life by this unknown individual.
It added, “Notwithstanding, the all legal and important steps our client has taken to ensure safety of his life and property, it is however unfortunate for our client to have received another phone call from the same unknown person on Thursday, the 30th day of January, 2020 around 11:22am in the forenoon where he was again threatened, and now with a more fearful and serious intention from the unknown person. Our client informs us that the unknown person told him to read about the story of a Barber at Gbaremu who was brutally assassinated and he should thread caution otherwise he may have to pay with his dear life.
“We therefore write to inform your good office and also to appeal to you that the life and property of our client is very precious just like that of every other individual citizen of this great country and hence should be protected jealously without reservation. Our client has the right to be able to move freely and make meaningful contributions to the development of our dear country provided he does same under the ambit of the law. Which if our client has even even acted outside the law, he has to be properly tried for same and not arbitrarily threatened and killed by any person known or unknown.
” The Nigerian Police Force as recognized under the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and like every other security agencies that have been so established by the law has the constitutional duty to protect and safeguard the life and property of all the citizens of Nigeria without bias or discrimination. Therefore, we urge and humbly plead with you sir to kindly use your good office and every other mercenaries necessarily incidental to ensuring the safeguard and protection of our client’s life”.
He, however sought police protection against possible attacks on him, urging the Police boss to begin a discreet investigation with a view to bring the unknown individual to book in the interest of justice.
Nigeria now has 111 confirmed cases of coronavirus, as 14 new cases tested positive
Nigeria has confirmed another fourteen new cases of COVID-19, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
NCDC in a statement on Sunday also informed that nine of the new cases were confirmed in Lagos State with five in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
With this new development, Nigeria now has – as at 09:30pm, Sunday March 29th, 2020 – 111 confirmed cases of coronavirus, NCDC on its verified official Twitter handle disclosed.
111 confirmed cases, 1 death, it stated.
For a breakdown of cases by states in real time, please see http://covid19.ncdc.gov.ng
Covid-19: Save UCH now, Oyo NUJ appeals to Buhari
The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Oyo State council on Sunday appealed to the Muhammadu Buhari led Federal Government to save the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan and provide it with enough funding to cater for the ravaging Coronavirus otherwise known as Covid-19.
The Union also frowned at recent development at the foremost teaching hospital in Nigeria, with confirmed four cases from its board and management.
In a release/tweet released by the CMD of the Hospital, Prof. Abiodun Otegbayo, he explained how he contracted the virus and tested positive for Covid-19.
The hospital management also confirmed that the Provost college of Medicine and his deputy also tested positive.
The fourth is the chairman of the board who had allegedly tested positive for the virus.
The NUJ in a press statement by its Chairman, Comrade Ademola Babalola and Secretary, Sola Oladapo wondered why due diligence was not done to ascertain the condition of all attendees at the meeting?
The Union also expressed concern on why the meeting had to hold despite the ongoing efforts to control Covid-19 spread in the state?
According to the NUJ, the CMD despite his knowledge of his exposure to a suspected case still went ahead granting interviews to journalists without warning them of his vulnerability.
The union viewed this act “as irresponsible and avoidable.”
The NUJ has therefore called on the Federal Government to stop paying lip service to the hospital.
It tasked the government to devise means of specially funding the UCH to prepare adequately for this pandemic.
“The reason to call for better funding of the UCH stemmed from the recent statement of the CMD, soliciting for funds from well meaning Nigerians to help the hospital with consumables and other medical necessities to fight the virus.
“The Federal Government must act very fast before things snowball out of control,” NUJ warned.
COVID-19: ‘Stop all physical interviews’, Oyo NUJ warns members
The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Oyo state council on Sunday warned members to stop all physical interviews to prevent being infected by corona virus (COVID-19).
This is contained in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Mr Ademola Babalola and Secretary, Mr Sola Oladapo, and made available to newsmen in Ibadan.
The union also warned members to be cautious in performing their roles as essential service providers, saying the extent at which the virus was spreading is very alarming.
“Truly, our services are very essential at this period when the world is ravaged by Corona Virus (COVID-19). The public look on to us for information on this global pandemics.
“Our job leaves us more exposed to the ravaging virus. The rate at which this virus is spreading has become very alarming and it is no respecta of anyone.
“As journalists, we must be very careful of how we carry out our duties without being infected,” it said.
The Union, however lauded members for their services at this trying period, praying that God would continue to protect them from all forms of infections.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
News3 days ago
In Italy, Morgues overwhelmed as COVID-19 death toll tops 8,000
News3 days ago
‘You have no moral right to criticize Buhari’, late MKO Abiola’s ally chides Oyedepo
Opinion2 days ago
Outdoor Advertising in Oyo State And The Growing Insanity | By Waheed Ganiyu
News3 days ago
Nigeria: Another 14 fresh cases of COVID-19 confirmed