CAF attack on press freedom - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

Sports

CAF attack on press freedom

Published

on

  1. In another attempt to control the news regarding African football affairs, the journalist Nazim Bessol, working for Algerian newspaper Botola, has seen his accreditation for the African Cup of Nations revoked.

    Initially Bessol received a confirmation approval letter with accreditation number 1206. However yesterday Bessol received an email from CAF explaining, without justification, that his accreditation had been revoked and his status on THE media channel had been altered from “approved” to “rejected”.

    AIPS Africa  links this to the investigation conducted by the journalist and the newspaper about the company Tactical Steel, mysteriously introduced as main CAF supplier, which led to CAF president Ahmad Ahmad being arrested and interrogated by French police over corruption allegations.

    The association therefore condemns the CAF decision to revoke Nazim Bessol’s accreditation and sees it as another attempt to stop the freedom of the media, a direct and blatant response to the investigations.

    “I am already in direct contact with AIPS President Gianni Merlo for a global appraisal on what it is another assault on the independence of thought of the sports media”, said Mitchell Obi, AIPS Africa President.

    From the continental prism of AIPS Africa we are totally saddened by the resource of the CAF and the brutish show of disrespect to the sports media in Africa.

    This action comes from a team that promised change after winning the last CAF election and its first despicable act was to scrap the CAF Media committee in a bizarre logic of reorganisation, which partly includes annulling the accreditation of a sports journalist two days before the event.

    AIPS Africa firmly and fervently condemns this ominous act and shares with the Algerian Sports Media the same sentiments duly expressed in seeking an immediate reversal of this unwholesome act.

    “We won’t hesitate to go the distance in checking this brazen attempt to hide under the cloak of a collective fold and pursue dark and personal agendas”, said Mitchell Obi, AIPS Africa President.

ALSO READ  Arsenal held to ransom by Henrikh Mkhitaryan as Manchester United star demands pay rise to move
Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

FIFA suspends Moses Magogo for two months

Published

on

By

The chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee has ratified the plea bargain entered into by Mr Moses Hassim Magogo, President of the Federation of Uganda Football Associations and member of the Confederation of African Football Executive Committee, and the chairperson of the investigatory chamber.

An investigation into Mr Magogo was opened on 23 July 2018 related to the resale of 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets.

In accordance with art. 67 par.1 of the FIFA Code of Ethics, the parties have mutually agreed on the following sanctions:

·  A fine of CHF 10,000.

·  A two-month suspension from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level.

The suspension became effective upon the validation of the agreement by the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber on 10 October 2019.

ALSO READ  Why Africa’s young people are the real winners at the CAF Awards
Continue Reading

Sports

Cardiff City moves to appeal FIFA ruling over Sala’s transfer payment

Published

on

By

Cardiff disclosed on Wednesday they would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against FIFA’s decision to make them pay Nantes the first instalment of the transfer fee for Emiliano Sala.

The world governing body, FIFA this week ordered Cardiff to pay French club Nantes an initial six million euros ($6.5 million) in their dispute over the payment of the transfer fee for Sala, who died in a plane crash.

Cardiff in a statement, said : “There remains clear evidence that the transfer agreement was never completed in accordance with multiple contractual requirements which were requested by Nantes, thereby rendering it null and void”.

“We shall be appealing to CAS in order to seek a decision which considers all of the relevant contractual information and provides clarity on the full legal situation between our two clubs.”

AFP

ALSO READ  Pep Guardiola and Wigan boss Paul Cook in fiery tunnel clash after Fabian Delph red card in FA Cup clash
Continue Reading

Sports

Ex- Manchester United striker, Berbatov retires

Published

on

By

Former Manchester United and Tottenham  striker, Dimitar Berbatov, has announced his retirement from football.

This is coming 18 months after leaving India’s Kerala Blasters, bringing an end to a glittering 20-year career.

The 38-year-old, Bulgaria’s record goalscorer, also played for CSKA Sofia; Bayer Leverkusen; Fulham; Monaco; and Greek side PAOK.

He has been without a club since leaving India’s Kerala Blasters 18 months ago.

“Someone told me I need to say something, and seeing that people were asking me, especially back home, I need to give a farewell message,” Berbatov wrote on Instagram.

“My last game was more then one year ago, so I think it’s the right time now to stop, and it’s long overdue.”

The Hotspur striker, who won two Premier League titles with Manchester United and was named Bulgaria’s Footballer of the Year seven times between 2004 and 2010, added that he planned to remain in soccer in some capacity.

“When I think about it, it’s never the end, because I will stay in the game one way or another,” he said.

Berbatov joined Manchester United from Tottenham in 2008 for what was then a club record fee of 30.75 million pounds (38.38 million dollars) .

He made his Bulgaria debut in 1999, aged 18, but retired from international football in 2010 after scoring 48 goals in 79 matches.

ALSO READ  Photo News: Real Madrid Flags Off Football Academy in Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: