Portugal’s goalkeeper, Rui Patricio’s wife, who is a sex therapist, has urged her husband and his teammates to masturbate to help them win the World Cup.
Dr. Vera Ribeiro believes the European champs will have a better chance of adding a world title to the trophy cabinet if they practice a little self-love, reports Sun UK.
The psychologist who specialises in sex, says that players who masturbate will be more relaxed and less stressed than those who abstain.
Pre-game celibacy is common in sport, with many athletes believing that having sex before kick-off can make them lose their edge on the pitch.
But in her book, Manual of Seduction, Dr. Ribeiro argues that regular ‘hand relief’ is an invaluable stress reliever.
The book states that “nothing positive can come from abstinence.”
She told Portuguese TV: “The football player should not abstain from having sex before games, but we also know that in terms of routine, they are not in contact with families either.
“We cannot associate sports performance with the occurrence of sex.”
Ribeiro’s husband will be in the number 1 jersey for Portugal in Russia as the team looks to emulate their neighbours in Spain by winning back-to-back tournaments.
In Italy, Morgues overwhelmed as COVID-19 death toll tops 8,000
An overwhelmed Italian city at the heart of the coronavirus pandemic on Thursday sent more of its dead to nearby towns for cremation as the country’s world-leading toll topped 8,000.
Officials in Rome reported 662 new deaths and 6,153 infections — largely in line with the figures reported throughout the week.
The rise in daily deaths edged down to the lowest point in the crisis — 8.8 percent — while the infection rate stood at around eight percent for the fourth day running.
But the numbers are not dropping much further and Italians appear to be coming to terms with the realisation that two weeks of life under lockdown have not made the disease go away.
“Until we see this damn rate drop, we will have to continue making very hard sacrifices,” deputy civil protection service chief Agostino Miozzo said in reference to the ever-tightening containment measures.
Italy’s coronavirus death toll now stands at 8,165 — more than that of second-placed Spain and China, where the virus emerged in December, combined.
‘Crematoriums could not cope’
The endless flood of victims forced the city of Bergamo at Italy’s northern epicentre of the pandemic to send still more bodies to less burdened crematoriums in neighbouring towns.
An AFP photographer saw six camouflage green army trucks transporting coffins out of a Bergamo cemetery on Thursday.
“The large number of victims has meant that Bergamo’s crematorium could not cope on its own,” mayor Giorgio Gori said in a statement released to AFP.
The mayor said the city had also received 113 urns with the ashes of bodies that had been sent out for cremation earlier this week.
The bodies in the city of about 120,000 people are literally piling up.
A warehouse in the commune of Ponte San Pietro on Bergamo’s western outskirts held 35 freshly-made wooden coffins Thursday that were destined for cremation at a later date.
Still more coffins filled a barren church hall in the Seriate commune to Bergamo’s east.
A priest said a quiet prayer over the rows of coffins and a single red rose rested atop one in the otherwise empty room.
Yet the Italian government is just as anxious about the northern crisis spilling over into the far less developed south.
The head of the Campania region that includes Naples warned of a “dramatic explosion” of infections based on this week’s trends.
“The next 10
days will be hell for us,” governor Vincenzo De Luca said in an open letter to Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
The number of officially registered deaths in Campania — Italy’s third-most-populous with nearly six million people — rose from 29 on Sunday to 83 on Thursday.
But no southern region has recorded more than 100 coronavirus fatalities to date.
Italy’s latest figures confirm that COVID-19 overwhelmingly kills the elderly and the sick.
Data from Italy’s first 5,542 fatalities show that 98.6 percent of the victims already suffered from at least one ailment or pre-existing condition.
Slightly over half had three or more other health problems when they died.
Only 29.1 percent of the victims were women. The disparity has been observed elsewhere and still puzzles doctors around the world.
The average age of victims was 78 — a fraction lower than the 78.8 reported last week based on the first 3,200 deaths.
But Italian virologist Roberto Burioni said the figures were “not particularly reliable” because the country was primarily testing people who already exhibited flu-like symptoms.
Italy’s death rate among the confirmed COVID-19 cases — 10.1 percent — was thus much higher than in countries with broad-based testing such as South Korea.
Nigeria: Another 14 fresh cases of COVID-19 confirmed
Another fourteen new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Nigeria, bringing the total number of cases to 65, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced in a tweet on Thursday night.
According to the breakdown of the number of the additional cases, 12 new cases were discovered in Lagos while the remaining two were confirmed in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, the nation’s capital.
Six of the cases were detected on a vessel and three others were returning travellers into the country while the remaining case was a close contact of a confirmed case.
The NCDC, however informed that another case had been discharged, bringing the number of persons who have recovered from the virus to three.
Ex-President Jonathan finally speaks on COVID-19, says ‘now is the time for action’
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has broken his silence on the deadly disease which has wreaked havoc globally, saying more actions are needed even in this time when the world is facing a devastating health challenge occasioned by the coronavirus.
Jonathan in a communique shared on social media on Thursday maintained that this is not a time to fear or despair; noting that it is a moment of responsibility, courage, and faith.
The ex-president said, “It is time to demonstrate good citizenship by yielding to relevant policies and guidelines put in place by the government and its agencies to combat the challenge of COVID- 19″.
Jonathan in his post also noted that though, the world faces a global crisis that threatens peace, hope, and freedoms, yet Nigerians must not despair.
He added that while across the globe there is the climate of fear, havoc, and consequences of a new enemy, Coronavirus Disease- COVID – 19, still, Nigerians must remember that as a country, many triumphs have been achieved.
The former president, however urged Nigerians to come together and see the disease as a common enemy, arguing that it is only in so doing that the nation can be victorious.
“As a country, ours is a history of many triumphs in times of global and national challenges. In 2014, through solidarity and unity of purpose, we combated the dreaded Ebola virus.
“More than ever before now is the time for action, solidarity, and patriotism. Let’s all brace up and work together to combat this new scourge COVID- 19,” Jonathan admonished.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
News1 day ago
In Italy, Morgues overwhelmed as COVID-19 death toll tops 8,000
News2 days ago
‘You have no moral right to criticize Buhari’, late MKO Abiola’s ally chides Oyedepo
Health2 days ago
Africa: 46 countries reporting a total COVID-19 2,746 cases, 72 deaths
Opinion22 hours ago
Outdoor Advertising in Oyo State And The Growing Insanity | By Waheed Ganiyu