Connect with us

Crime & Court

Planned ‘Revolution’ March Amounts To Treasonable Felony, Says IGP

Published

on

Adamu Mohammed , The Inspector General of Police, (IGP) has said that a video being circulated all over social media by the ‘Global Coalition for security and Democracy in Nigeria and others’, calling on Nigerians to join a planned ‘revolution’ march against the Federal Government on August the 5th, amounts to treasonable felony.

The IGP said the planned action is meant to force a regime change in the country.

According to a communique sent out over the weekend, IGP Adamu said that rights should not translate to violence, adding that the force will not watch anyone or group disrupt the nation’s peace.

“The force wishes to state unequivocally that the call amounts to treasonable felony and acts of terrorism and will therefore the force will not stand idly-by and watch any individual or group in the society cause anarchy in the land.

“While acknowledging the rights of Nigerians to embark on protest, the force wishes to note that such rights should not translate to a violent and forceful change of government which clearly is the meaning of ‘revolution”, he said

The police boss noted that Nigeria is a democratic country with well-defined processes for change of government and warns those he describes as the organizers, sponsors, allies, supporters, associates and sympathizers of the ‘Global Coalition for Security and Democracy in Nigeria’ to steer clear of any such planned protest, and acts of incitement.

ALSO READ  2019: Moghalu reveals why Buhari does not deserve to seek re-election

The 5th of August has been scheduled as the date of a planned protest by the publisher of online news magazine, Sahara Reporters, Mr Omoyele Sowore and his group, a move which has led to the arrest of Mr Sowore, the presidential candidate of the African Action Congress in the February 23rd presidential election.

The Department of State Security Service (DSS) had on Sunday confirmed the arrest, with its spokesman Peter Afunaya stating that the DSS is acting within its constitutional powers to arrest and detain anybody or group who threatens the unity and peaceful co-existence of Nigeria.

Meanwhile, Mr Afunaya  declined to comment whether Mr Sowore is at the DSS office in Lagos or Abuja.

Continue Reading
Comments

Crime & Court

Police  Re-arrest  Bala Wadume, Notorious Kidnap Kingpin In Kano

Published

on

By

The operatives of the Nigeria Police  have re-arrested the notorious kidnap kingpin, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume. He was arrested in the late hours of Monday, in his hideout at Layin Mai Allo Hotoro area of Kano State.

The police disclosed this on Tuesday via its official Twitter handle.

It would be recalled that  the Police had been on the massive manhunt for the suspect,  Bala Wadume since 6th August, 2019 following the unfortunate incident in Ibi, Taraba State which resulted in the brutal murder of three  Police Officers and two civilians and injury to five others.

The suspect, who was appropriately restrained at the time of the incident, was subsequently released by his “rescuers” after they had destroyed the restraining handcuffs.

While commending the Police operatives for their perseverance and painstaking efforts, the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed   Adamu, expressed his profound gratitude to all Nigerians for their unparalleled show of love and empathy to the Force, as well as the families of the officers and patriotic civilians who paid the supreme price in the service of their fatherland.

The police boss, however expressed optimism that the re-arrest of the suspect, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume, will no doubt, help in bringing answers to the numerous but hitherto unanswered questions touching on the incident and the larger criminal enterprise of the suspect.

ALSO READ  Add vocational skills to your education – UNIC urges youth.

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

$40m Jewelleries: Diezani Alleges EFCC Of Illegal Entry Into Apartment

Published

on

By

The Ex-  Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, has challenged the seizure of $40m worth of jewelries from her premises by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Contained in an affidavit filed on her behalf by her counsel, Prof Awa Kalu (SAN), Diezani, who is currently in the United Kingdom, alleged that the EFCC violated her fundamental “right to own property and to appropriate them at her discretion,” under sections 43 and 44 of the constitution.

Also, she  accused the commission of entering her apartment illegally and taking the items without any court order.

On July 5, 2019, The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC had secured an order of the court temporarily forfeiting the expensive jewelleries to the Federal Government.

The EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, in an exparte application, made before Justice Nicholas Oweibo told the court that the expensive jewelries comprising wristwatches, necklaces, bracelets, bangles, earrings, a customized gold phone and more were reasonably suspected to have being acquired with proceeds of unlawful activities of the former Minister.

According to the schedule attached to the application, the jewellery, categorised into 33 sets, include “419 expensive bangles; 315 expensive rings; 304 expensive earrings; 267 expensive necklaces; 189 expensive wristwatches; 174 expensive necklaces and earrings; 78 expensive bracelets; 77 expensive brooches; and 74 expensive pendants.”

ALSO READ  2019 presidency: Father Mbaka attacks Buhari, Atiku, predicts winner of election

Oyedepo said “the respondent’s known and provable lawful income is far less than the properties sought to be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.”

After granting the interim forfeiture order on July 5, the court adjourned proceedings for Diezani or anyone interested in the jewellery and gold iPhone to appear before it to give reasons why the items should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

But in an application filed on her behalf by Kalu (SAN), Diezani, contended that “the court lacked jurisdiction to have granted the interim forfeiture order in the first place as she had not been charged with any crime or served with any summons by the EFCC”.

She added  that the entry into her apartment by EFCC operatives was illegal as it was without a court order.

The lawyer added that the temporary forfeiture order was prejudicial to Diezani because she was denied fair hearing.

The application, could however not be argued today as Prof. Kalu was unable to come to court.

A lawyer from his chambers, Chukwuka Obidike, told the court that the SAN was engaged in election petitions, and asked the court to grant an adjournment.

The court has adjourned the case till August 29.

ALSO READ  Bamaiyi reveals those benefiting from Buhari’s sickness

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

US Customs Seize Four Tons Of Marijuana Worth $2.3m Hidden Among Peppers

Published

on

By

US Customs officers have seized nearly four tons of marijuana worth $2.3 million hidden in a consignment of jalapeno peppers.

Customs and Border Protection disclosed that a  sniffer dog alerted officers to a trailer with a shipment of peppers in San Diego on the border with Mexico on Thursday.

The CBP statement explained “a 37-year-old male Mexican citizen entered the port of entry driving a tractor pulling a trailer with cargo manifested as jalapeno peppers.”

Officers at Otay Mesa cargo facility found 314 packages of marijuana weighing 7,560 pounds (3.4 tonnes) mixed among the jalapeno peppers.

“I am proud of the officers for seizing this significant marijuana load,” said Otay Mesa Port director Rosa Hernandez.

The acting Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Mark Morgan also shared image of the seized marijuana on his verified Twitter handle.

He hailed the officers for a job well done.

It was the second large haul of marijuana at the facility in days.

Officers seized 10,642 pounds of the drug in a shipment of plastic auto parts at Otay Mesa on Tuesday.

CBP has seized 113 tons (103 tonnes) of marijuana so far this year, along with 41 tons of cocaine and 27 tons of methamphetamine.

In July authorities seized nearly 20 tons of cocaine with an estimated street value of more than $1 billion from a ship at the port of Philadelphia in one of the largest drug busts in US history.

ALSO READ  Osinbajo reveals persons Buhari will jail

Continue Reading

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending