Connect with us

Sports

Maradona to remain in hospital for treatment after surgery, says Doctor

Published

on

Argentine soccer legend Diego Maradona is to remain in hospital for several more days to undergo treatment following surgery to remove a blood clot on the brain, his doctor said Thursday.

“We saw that in the postoperative phase Diego had episodes of confusion,” Leopoldo Luque told reporters.

Therapists treating Maradona had linked the behaviour to withdrawal symptoms and the necessary treatment would last “a few days,” he said.

Luque did not provide details, but Maradona has a long history of drug and alcohol addiction.

Although he has publicly said he no longer uses cocaine, friends and media reports have suggested he remains addicted to alcohol.

At a press conference outside the private clinic in Buenos Aires where surgeons spent 80 minutes removing the clot on Tuesday night, Luque took pains to present an upbeat assessment of the 60-year-old’s overall condition.

“Diego is doing well. The CT scan came out well. We were even dancing. Yes, we danced!” the doctor said.

The doctor said Maradona “agrees” with the diagnosis and would remain in the clinic.

Earlier Thursday, he said doctors were happy with the former player’s condition: “He can walk, talk to me….It’s very early this, but the recovery is excellent.”

World Cup winner Maradona had been taken to hospital in La Plata — where he is the coach of top-flight side Gimnasia y Esgrima — on Monday for a series of tests after feeling unwell.

ALSO READ  AfDB launches record breaking $3 billion “Fight COVID-19” Social Bond

A scan revealed the blood clot, and on Tuesday he was transferred to the clinic in a northern neighborhood of the capital.

Fans have flocked to the clinic to leave banners showing the star in his prime and messages of support for the ailing icon.

Alongside Brazil’s Pele, who turned 80 last month, Maradona is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.

– ‘Depressed’ –
Maradona, who turned 60 on Friday, has suffered ill health before. He has survived two heart attacks, and also contracted hepatitis and underwent gastric bypass surgery.

Prior to falling ill, Maradona had been depressed, his lawyer Matias Morla said on Wednesday.

The famously fast-living icon had only been able to spend half an hour at his own birthday celebration at his team’s training ground on Friday, when he had difficulty walking.

“He was behaving strangely. He was very depressed and spoke about dead relatives that he missed,” said Morla.

He said Maradona was “very worried” about the surgery and praised Luque, adding that “if he hadn’t detected the clot, Maradona’s fate would have been different.”

Luque insisted on Tuesday that the procedure was “a routine operation.”

 

Comments

Sports

Fans may return to premier league games from May 17

Published

on

By

as British govt. plan to ease COVID-19 restrictions


Fans could be in English stadiums for the final weekend of the Premier League season and there are hopes Wembley may be packed for the Euro 2020 final under plans to ease coronavirus restrictions unveiled on Monday.

The British government’s roadmap to easing a nationwide lockdown means elite sport will continue behind closed doors until at least May 17.

If there are no setbacks during the implementation of the four-stage plan, crowds of up to 10,000 or 25 percent of seated capacity, whichever is lower, will be allowed to return.

The Premier League season is due to finish on May 23. Other than a small number of matches played in front of 2,000 spectators late last year, the entire 2020/21 season has been played behind closed doors.

All further restrictions would then be lifted on June 21 in time for a series of major sports events in England.

The semi-finals and final of Euro 2020, which has been delayed by a year due to the pandemic, are scheduled to take place at Wembley from July 6 to 11.

Wimbledon, which was abandoned in 2020 for the first time since World War II, is due to start on June 28.

Golf’s British Open runs from July 15 to 18 at Royal St George’s in Kent.

Monday’s announcement is the first big step towards restoring normal life, nearly a year after Prime Minister Boris Johnson imposed the first of three stay-at-home orders that have devastated the country and its economy.

Johnson told MPs that with a mass vaccination programme easing pressure on overstretched hospitals, “the end really is in sight”.

A Sunday Times report at the weekend said Britain could offer to host more Euro 2020 matches or the whole tournament due to the potential for crowds to return earlier than in other countries across Europe.

On top of the semi-finals and final, Wembley and Hampden Park in Glasgow are due to host four matches each in the group stages and last 16.

UEFA has so far publicly insisted it is sticking to the original plan of using 12 host cities across the continent despite the logistical challenges.

Dublin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Saint Petersburg, Bilbao, Munich, Budapest, Baku, Rome and Bucharest are all due to host matches.

However, British health secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday he was unaware of any offer to host the tournament.

Hancock told Sky News: “I haven’t seen anything on that, I understand that that’s not right.”

ALSO READ  AfDB launches record breaking $3 billion “Fight COVID-19” Social Bond
Continue Reading

Sports

FG to restore Liberty stadium’s lost glory, Sports Minister assures

Published

on

Minister of Sports and Youth Development, Mr. Sunday Dare has given the assurances that the Muhammadu Buhari -led federal government is determined to turn around infrastructural facilities at the first stadium in Nigeria, Obafemi Awolowo Stadium complex, Ibadan popularly known as Liberty stadium, to enhance sports development in the country.

The stadium, originally named Liberty Stadium until 2010, is a historic football stadium with a capacity of 25,000 seats.

Opened in 1960 during the tenure of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, who was serving as the Premier of the Western Region at the time, the sports monument, sited at the Southern end of Ibadan was named Liberty Stadium in honor of Nigeria’s independence.

Unfortunately, the iconic stadium which has hosted several matches during the African  Cup of Nations, the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship among others and produced biggest sports stars is now a shadow of itself ; and decreased in vivacity.

The monument, built with public funds by direct labour under the supervision of the regional Ministry of Works and Transport has suffered several neglect from various administrations. The first stadium in Nigeria is in deplorable state and currently on its knees  begging for a total deliverance.

Sports Minister, Sunday Dare addressing SWEGOP at the Workshop

However, the Minister, who  gave the assurance on Saturday in Ibadan while playing guest to the South West Group of Online Publishers (SWEGOP) at a two-day seminar for online media held at the Ilaji Hotel and Resorts, also disclosed that the government is set to revive the agelong stadium through Private Public Partnership (PPP).

While citing government efforts at National Stadium, Lagos and others, Dare unearthed that there is an ongoing plan to reach out to some Nigerians to invest in the infrastructural development of the stadium.

He further disclosed that the federal government, in addition to providing needed incentives to private investors, is currently developing a policy that will support value in sports investment.

ALSO READ  Arsenal set to land Lyon star Nabil Fekir for club record £60million in January as Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil head for Emirates exit
Continue Reading

Sports

Bayern Munich’s striker, Mueller tests positive for COVID-19

Published

on

By

Thomas Mueller, Bayern Munich forward has tested  positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday, according to German media reports.

Mueller is set to miss out on Thursday’s Club World Cup final in Doha due to this development.

Sky Sports Germany and Bild newspaper disclosed that the World Cup winner, Mueller tested positive after Bayern’s training session on Wednesday.

A positive test would rule the veteran striker out of Thursday’s clash with Mexican CONCACAF champions Tigres in the Qatari capital, in which European champions Bayern are aiming for a historic sixth title in 12 months.

Neither Bayern nor tournament organisers FIFA have yet confirmed the positive test.

Mueller would be the third Bayern player to contract the coronavirus in recent weeks, after positive tests for Javi Martinez and Leon Goretzka meant they were unable to travel with the rest of the squad to Qatar.

His absence would be the latest blow to Bayern’s Club World Cup campaign, after Jerome Boateng returned home to Germany on Wednesday for personal reasons amid reports that his former girlfriend had died.

-AFP

ALSO READ  Leicester's Jamie Vardy eyed for stunning transfer to Atletico Madrid as the replacement for Antoine Griezmann
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: