Kaduna Govt Reacts, Says Court Will Decide El-Zakzaky’s Fate - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

Crime & Court

Kaduna Govt Reacts, Says Court Will Decide El-Zakzaky’s Fate

Published

on

The Kaduna State government has disclosed that the fate of the embattled leader of the proscribed Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) is in the hands of the court.

This was disclosed by the Attorney General of Kaduna State and Commissioner for Justice, Aisha Dikko.

Dikko disclosed that the ongoing legal processes should not be the subject of a media campaign or pressure of any kind, affirming that the Kaduna State Government has no intention to withdraw the charges and would rather leave it to the court to decide the case.

Contained in a statement issued in Kaduna, the state capital, Dikko said both Ibrahim El Zakzaky and his wife Zeenat are facing an eight-count charge, which includes culpable homicide punishable with death, before the High Court of Kaduna State.

The Attorney General recalled that the court had earlier refused the accused persons’ application for bail following their arraignment in August 2018.

According to her, “At its last sitting on December 5, 2019, the court adjourned hearing in the matter to February 6, 2020, and ordered the transfer of the couple from DSS facilities to the Kaduna Correctional Centre for the duration of the trial.

“It is the High Court that will decide the case, and the rule of law demands respect for the prerogatives of the court and the ongoing legal process”.

ALSO READ  JUST IN: El-Zakzaky Arrives In India {See Photos }

She added  that like any other person facing a criminal trial, El-Zakzaky and his wife have been accorded due process and are being represented by their lawyers.

“There is no court order pending against the Kaduna State Government on the matter. Rulings and orders that were secured against the Federal Government do not have any bearing against the Kaduna State Government which was not a party to those proceedings and against whom no orders were made.

“Any issues regarding compliance or non-compliance with a court order by the DSS or the Federal Government cannot be used to vitiate the judicial proceedings the Kaduna State Government has commenced against the El-Zakzakys,’’ she argued.

An eight-count charge was filed against some accused persons on April 19, 2018, including El Zakzaky and his wife, after months of painstaking investigation, which covered a period of about three decades.

According to the commissioner, persons who were accused alongside El-Zakzaky include Yakubu Yahaya Katsina and Sanusi Abdulkadir Koki and they were charged to court for alleged criminal conspiracy, culpable homicide punishable with death and unlawful assembly.

They were also charged with alleged wrongful restraint, disturbance of public peace; voluntarily causing grievous hurt; inciting disturbance, and breach of Public Peace.

The Attorney General informed that these charges arose following the Zaria clashes of December 12th-24 2015 between the Nigerian Army and El-Zakzaky’s movement.’

ALSO READ  Oyo impounds 50 trailers over traffic offence

“It was the tragic Nadir of the more than 30 years of oppression that Zaria residents had endured at the hands of a movement that had grown accustomed to disregarding the law, disrespecting the human rights of other citizens and inconveniencing members of the public.

“A Judicial Commission of Inquiry to look into the Zaria clashes was constituted on 29th January 2016.

“Members of the IMN owe absolute loyalty to Ibrahim El-Zakzaky. He, therefore, bears responsibility for all the acts of lawlessness committed by the organization and should, therefore, be held responsible, fully investigated and prosecuted.”

The Kaduna State Government then accepted the findings of the Inquiry and commenced the processes for prosecuting  El-Zakzaky and the leadership of his movement.

.

Comments

Crime & Court

Siblings Faking To Be EFCC Agents Arraigned In Abeokuta

Published

on

By

The Ibadan zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arraigned two siblings – Olatunji Beyioku (aka Bashorun) and Oluwayomi Oluwafemi Beyioku (aka Ola 1) – for allegedly falsely presenting themselves as agent of the commission to defraud members of the public.

The duo were on Thursday, January 23, dragged before Justice Mohammed Abubakar of the Federal High Court 1, sitting in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, on 18-count charges bordering on conspiracy, impersonation, forgery, money laundering and obtaining money under false pretenses.

According to the charges, the accused persons allegedly laundered over N12,000,000 (Twelve Million Naira) and also defrauded unsuspecting victims of the sum of N404,000,000 (Four Hundred and Four Million Naira).

The facts of the case revealed that the brothers had represented themselves as operatives of the EFCC in order to gain undue advantage of their victims.

The charge also stated that Oluwayomi forged a document to claimed that he bagged a Higher National Diploma (HND) from the Lagos State Polytechnic, and one other that claimed that he participated in the one year mandatory national youth service for degree holders.

The duo were found to have made millions of naira engaging in series of fraudulent activities, using the proceeds to purchase a multi-million naira building, two cars – Honda Accord Crosstour and a Mercedes Benz GLK, different brands of mobile phones and other landed properties worth millions of naira.
The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the eighteen-count charges.

ALSO READ  Jubilation in Oyo as Ajimobi approves payment of outstanding salaries

Upon their not-guilty plea, EFCC’s counsel, Festus Ojo prayed the court for a trial date and an order to remand them in correctional custody. However, their counsel, Femi Meyile, prayed the court to admit them to bail.
Justice Abubakar allowed the prayer as he granted them bail in the sum of five million naira with one surety each in like sum. The sureties were also ordered to deposit their international passports with the Chief Registrar of the court.

The case was adjourned to March 9, 2020, for trial while the accused persons are to be remanded in the correctional custody pending the perfection of their bail conditions.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

EFCC slams Transparency International over poor rating on Nigeria

Published

on

By

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has vehemently condemned in strong terms, the 2019 Corruption Perception Index, (CPI) recently released by Transparency International (TI) which ranked Nigeria 146 out of 180 countries analysed. It also restates commitment to corruption fight.

The Commission further faulted the poor rating as baseless, describing it as appalling, the bogus and ambiguous criteria used by Transparency International to arrive at what can best be described as a jaundiced and illogical rating.

EFCC in a tweet said, “We insist that the rating is a far cry from the evident strides and achievements so far accomplished by the anti-graft agency in the fight against corruption, particularly under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The claim and inference that Nigeria ranks the fourth most corrupt country in West Africa is totally unacceptable, as it is evidently not supported by any empirical data, especially when placed side-by-side with the remarkable achievements of the Commission in the past years.

“Moreover, it is quite ironic that the report by TI posits that the index does not show real incidences of corruption, yet it claims that the report is a reliable indication of the perception of Nigerians and the international community about the state of corruption in the country”.

ALSO READ  JUST IN: El-Zakzaky Arrives In India {See Photos }

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Libyan militant, Mustafa Al-Imam sentenced to 19 years for terrorist attacks on U.S. facilities in Benghazi

Published

on

By

A Libyan militant, Mustafa Al-Imam was sentenced on Thursday to more than 19 years in prison by  a federal Judge for  participating in the September 11, 2012, terrorist attacks on U.S. facilities in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador.

A jury had last year convicted Mustafa al-Imam  of conspiring to support the extremist militia that launched the fiery assaults on the U.S. compounds but deadlocked on 15 other counts.

The attacks, aimed at killing American personnel, prompted a political fracas in which Republicans accused the Obama administration of a bungled response.

Al-Imam was sentenced to a total of 236 months behind bars. He is the second militant convicted in the attacks that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens, communications specialist Sean Smith and security officers Tyrone Snowden Woods and Glen Anthony Doherty.

According to the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo on Thursday,  Al-Imam’s sentencing sends a strong message to those who would attempt to commit such a heinous crime.

“We express our continued gratitude to the U.S. law enforcement, military, and intelligence communities for their relentless efforts to bring to justice the perpetrators of the attack. We continue to mourn the losses of Ambassador Chris Stevens, Glen Doherty, Sean Smith, and Tyrone Woods. Each sacrificed his life promoting American ideals. Their colleagues serving around the world today continue that important work in the same spirit and in their honor”, Pompeo added.

ALSO READ  It's Official : IMN Has Been Proscribed, Says IGP

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: