Connect with us

Crime & Court

Imo Zenith Bank Robbery: Police Nab Fleeing Suspect One Year After

Published

on

According to the CP, the suspect had confessed to the crime and further revealed that out of the N2.8m his gang stole from their target, he got a share of N400,000.
by Chidiebube Okeoma Feb 23, 2018

One year after an armed robbery gang invaded a branch of Zenith Bank in Owerri, Imo State, killed two policemen and wounded another, the Police have arrested the last member of the gang.

His name is given as Chinonso Gift Onwuegbuchulam, aka, Ogolo, from Obazu Mbieri in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo State.

Parading the suspect on Friday in Owerri, the Commissioner of Police, Chris Ezike, said, “I am delighted to announce to you that the remaining member of the gang, one Chinonso Gift Onwuegbuchulam, aka, Ogolo, male, 29 of age, hails from Obazu Mbieri in the Mbaitoli LGA of Imo State, was arrested on February 21, 2018.
Bank Robbery At A Zenith Bank Branch In Owerri, Imo State Caught On Tape Bank Robbery At A Zenith Bank Branch In Owerri, Imo State Caught On Tape

“The suspect, who claimed to hold a Bachelor of Science honours degree in Government and Public Administration from Imo State University in 2008, was arrested in his hideout at Close 7, Mgbuakara Eleparawan, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.”

According to the CP, the suspect had confessed to the crime and further revealed that out of the N2.8m his gang stole from their target, he got a share of N400,000.

“The suspect also confessed to being an armed robber since 2012 and has participated in several robbery operations in Lagos, Port Harcourt and Owerri between 2012 and 2017.

“He is helping in our investigation as we speak,” Ezike stressed.

According to the police boss, the arrest of Onwuegbuchulam has signaled the closure of this criminal gang and their nefarious activities.

Ezike recalled, “I addressed the Press on June 13, 2017, on this subject matter where I stated that on February 22, 2017, an armed robbery gang trailed a bank customer to the Wetheral Road branch of Zenith Bank, Owerri and unleashed attack within the bank premises.

“The hoodlums shot into the air repeatedly and exchanged gunfire with the three policemen from our command posted to the bank.”

The CP recalled that one of the armed robbers, Ikechukwu Okpara, was shot dead by Chukwudi Iboko.

He said through investigations, three members of the gang — Justice Ogbenna, 36; Abiye Charles and Okechukwu Nwanegbo were arrested by the police.

Ezike, who recalled that two AK47 rifles with 100 rounds of live ammunition and another rifle with 175 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the gang, said four vehicles were also recovered by the police.

“The arrest of the remaining member of the gang, Chinonso Gift Onwuegbuchulam, from Obazu Mbieri in the Mbaitoli LGA of Imo State signals the closure of this criminal gang and their nefarious activities,” Ezike said.

When interviewed, the suspect confessed that he was part of the deadly operation and that he received N400,000 from the bank robbery incident.

“I was part of the operation and I got N400,000 from the N2.8m we stole.

“I am aware that my gang members were dead and that was why I ran to Lagos so as to remain elusive to the police,” the suspect said.

Responding to a question, Onwuegbuchulam said, “I regret my actions. If given another opportunity, I will repent.”

Comments

Crime & Court

Edo Tragedy: DSS Arrests Two Over Uromi Mass Killing

Published

on

By

Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have arrested two principal suspects allegedly involved in the killing of 16 travellers in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo State last week.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Friday Ituah, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, confirming that the suspects were apprehended in Uromi town following credible intelligence.

According to Ituah, operatives from various security agencies are actively hunting for other key suspects linked to the tragic incident. He further revealed that the two arrested suspects have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.

Meanwhile, on Monday, the Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, paid a condolence visit to Kano State, where he revealed that 14 suspects had already been arrested in connection with the killings and were also to be moved to Abuja for further questioning.

During his visit, Governor Okpebholo expressed deep sorrow over the incident and assured the victims’ families that justice would be served. He reiterated his administration’s commitment to ensuring that those responsible for the heinous act would be brought to book.

Also, the governor pledged that adequate compensation would be provided to the bereaved families as part of efforts to mitigate their suffering.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

EFCC Re-Arrests Crypto Fraud Kingpin, Friday Audu, Outside Court Premises

Published

on

By

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has rearrested Friday Audu, the alleged mastermind of a massive cryptocurrency investment fraud and romance scam, just moments after he was granted bail by a Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.

In a dramatic turn of events, EFCC operatives intercepted Audu as he stepped out of the court premises on Thursday. The anti-graft officers swiftly bundled him into a waiting white van and whisked him away, while his co-defendants were led off by correctional officers.

Audu, alongside two Chinese nationals, Huang Haoyu and An Hongxu, as well as their company, Genting International Ltd, is facing a 12-count charge bordering on cybercrime. The trio was arraigned before Justice Daniel Osiagor on Monday, March 17, and returned to court on March 20 for their bail hearing.

Despite being granted bail, Audu’s troubles deepened as EFCC officials moved in swiftly. The court had granted him bail in the sum of N50 million, with two sureties—one being a serving director in Nigeria, and the other a Lagos-based property owner willing to surrender title documents to the court. Until these conditions are met, Audu was to remain in correctional custody.

However, his alleged accomplice, Huang Haoyu, was not as fortunate. The court denied his bail application, ruling that his residence status in Nigeria was unclear and that he posed a flight risk. The third defendant, An Hongxu, did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody.

Justice Osiagor adjourned the trial to May 2, 2025.

How It All Started

The EFCC’s case against Audu and his co-defendants stems from a December 2024 sting operation that led to the arrest of 193 foreigners and several Nigerians linked to a sophisticated cyber-fraud network.

According to the prosecution, Audu allegedly spearheaded the recruitment of young Nigerians into the syndicate, which engaged in cyber fraud, cryptocurrency scams, and illicit financial dealings. The EFCC further alleged that the group conspired with one Dualiang Pan (still at large) to access computer systems designed to destabilize Nigeria’s economic and social structure.

The defendants were accused of using young Nigerians to impersonate foreign nationals in online scams, defrauding unsuspecting victims of millions of dollars. Investigators also linked them to a staggering ₦3.4 billion fraud, with proceeds traced to the Union Bank account of Genting International Ltd.

Other fraudulent transactions flagged in the case include:

  • The illegal retention of $1.2 million in a crypto wallet by one Chukwuemeka Okeke.
  • A similar retention of $1.3 million by Alhassan Garba and Ifesinachi Jacobs.
  • Suspicious transfers of ₦106 million and ₦913 million to an account controlled by Dualiang Pan.
  • Unofficial foreign exchange dealings worth over ₦2 billion, allegedly conducted outside the Central Bank of Nigeria’s approved system.

The EFCC maintained that these activities violated multiple provisions of the Cybercrime (Prohibition) Act 2015, the Money Laundering Act 2021, and the Foreign Exchange Monitoring Act 2004.

Battle for Bail

During Thursday’s proceedings, EFCC prosecutor Bilikisu Buhari-Bala opposed bail for the defendants, arguing that they were flight risks and key players in an extensive cybercrime syndicate. She pressed for an accelerated trial instead.

Defense counsels, however, pleaded for leniency. Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) Emeka Okpoko, representing the first defendant, urged the court to grant his client bail on “liberal terms.” Similarly, Clement Onwuenwunor (SAN), who represented Audu, pushed for his client’s release under favorable conditions.

Despite the court’s decision to grant Audu bail, his freedom was short-lived as EFCC officials quickly stepped in to rearrest him, a move that hints at fresh charges or an ongoing investigation.

With the case now set for trial on May 2, all eyes remain on the EFCC and the fate of the alleged crypto fraud syndicate.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

EFCC Arrests Bauchi Accountant General for Alleged ₦70bn Fraud

Published

on

By

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested the Accountant General of Bauchi State, Sirajo Jaja, over an alleged ₦70 billion fraud.

Jaja was apprehended in Abuja on Wednesday, 19 March 2025, alongside Aliyu Abubakar, an operator of Jasfad Resources Enterprise—an unlicensed bureau de change (BDC)—and Sunusi Ibrahim Sambo, a Point of Sale (PoS) operator.

Their arrests form part of an ongoing EFCC investigation into allegations of money laundering, diversion of public funds, and misappropriation involving the staggering sum.

The Commission is also probing the Governor of Bauchi State, Bala Mohammed, in connection with the matter.

According to the EFCC, preliminary findings indicate that a total of ₦59 billion was withdrawn in cash through various bank accounts managed by the Accountant General on behalf of the state government. The funds were allegedly transferred to Abubakar and Sambo, who then made cash payments to political party agents and associates of the governor.

Notably, Abubakar, the BDC operator, had previously absconded while on bail but has now been rearrested.

EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, confirmed the arrests, stating that investigations are ongoing to unravel the full extent of the financial misconduct.

Continue Reading

Trending