Dutch Winger, Arjen Robben Retires From Football - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

Sports

Dutch Winger, Arjen Robben Retires From Football

Published

on

Dutch winger Arjen Robben announced on Thursday he is ending his playing career at the age of 35 after a 10-year spell with German giants Bayern Munich.

“It is without a doubt the most difficult decision I have had to make in my career, my heart says yes, my body says no,” Robben told the Telegraaf.

His contract at Bayern had expired on June 30.

Robben played 96 international matches for the Netherlands, scoring 37 goals, and starred in the team which reached the 2010 World Cup final and finished third four years later.

He won two Premier League titles under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea in 2005 and 2006, before claiming a La Liga winner’s medal with Real Madrid.

But Robben, a Groningen youth product, will be best remembered for his time at Bayern. He helped the Bavarians to eight Bundesliga crowns, five German Cups and the 2013 Champions League title, scoring 144 goals in 309 appearances for the club.

There had been speculation Robben would continue playing, with a possible return to England mooted, but instead, he has decided to hang up his boots after a career which was often blighted by injuries.

“At the moment I’m fit and healthy and as a fan of many other sports, I want to keep it that way in the future,” Robben added.

ALSO READ  Chelsea eye another transfer raid on Arsenal as Aaron Ramsey's contract approaches final year

At Bayern, he combined with fellow winger Franck Ribery to great effect as the pair earned the nickname ‘Robbery’.

“Thank you, Danke, merci, dankjewel @arjenrobben,” wrote the 36-year-old Ribery, whose Bayern contract also expired last month, on Twitter.

“Best @FCBayern counterpart I could imagine, #Robbery will never be forgotten! What a career my friend, now enjoy your time off the pitch.”

Robben had already retired from international football after the Netherlands failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

He missed the majority of Bayern’s tight title contest against Borussia Dortmund in the second half of the last term but returned late in the season.

Robben and Ribery both scored in their farewell appearance as Bayern secured a seventh straight German league title on the final day of the season with a 5-1 thrashing of Eintracht Frankfurt.

AFP

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

FIFA suspends Moses Magogo for two months

Published

on

By

The chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee has ratified the plea bargain entered into by Mr Moses Hassim Magogo, President of the Federation of Uganda Football Associations and member of the Confederation of African Football Executive Committee, and the chairperson of the investigatory chamber.

An investigation into Mr Magogo was opened on 23 July 2018 related to the resale of 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets.

In accordance with art. 67 par.1 of the FIFA Code of Ethics, the parties have mutually agreed on the following sanctions:

·  A fine of CHF 10,000.

·  A two-month suspension from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level.

The suspension became effective upon the validation of the agreement by the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber on 10 October 2019.

ALSO READ  Premier League: Arsenal, Chelsea win, Stoke ends Manchester United’s perfect start
Continue Reading

Sports

Cardiff City moves to appeal FIFA ruling over Sala’s transfer payment

Published

on

By

Cardiff disclosed on Wednesday they would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against FIFA’s decision to make them pay Nantes the first instalment of the transfer fee for Emiliano Sala.

The world governing body, FIFA this week ordered Cardiff to pay French club Nantes an initial six million euros ($6.5 million) in their dispute over the payment of the transfer fee for Sala, who died in a plane crash.

Cardiff in a statement, said : “There remains clear evidence that the transfer agreement was never completed in accordance with multiple contractual requirements which were requested by Nantes, thereby rendering it null and void”.

“We shall be appealing to CAS in order to seek a decision which considers all of the relevant contractual information and provides clarity on the full legal situation between our two clubs.”

AFP

ALSO READ  Why Chelsea will not win Premier League title again – Wenger
Continue Reading

Sports

Ex- Manchester United striker, Berbatov retires

Published

on

By

Former Manchester United and Tottenham  striker, Dimitar Berbatov, has announced his retirement from football.

This is coming 18 months after leaving India’s Kerala Blasters, bringing an end to a glittering 20-year career.

The 38-year-old, Bulgaria’s record goalscorer, also played for CSKA Sofia; Bayer Leverkusen; Fulham; Monaco; and Greek side PAOK.

He has been without a club since leaving India’s Kerala Blasters 18 months ago.

“Someone told me I need to say something, and seeing that people were asking me, especially back home, I need to give a farewell message,” Berbatov wrote on Instagram.

“My last game was more then one year ago, so I think it’s the right time now to stop, and it’s long overdue.”

The Hotspur striker, who won two Premier League titles with Manchester United and was named Bulgaria’s Footballer of the Year seven times between 2004 and 2010, added that he planned to remain in soccer in some capacity.

“When I think about it, it’s never the end, because I will stay in the game one way or another,” he said.

Berbatov joined Manchester United from Tottenham in 2008 for what was then a club record fee of 30.75 million pounds (38.38 million dollars) .

He made his Bulgaria debut in 1999, aged 18, but retired from international football in 2010 after scoring 48 goals in 79 matches.

ALSO READ  COZA Pastor, Fatoyinbo asks court to dismiss Dakolo’s suit, demands N50m

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: