Alleged Cult Initiation : Oyo police arrest 10 students, 3 others - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

Crime & Court

Alleged Cult Initiation : Oyo police arrest 10 students, 3 others

Published

on

At least 13 suspected cultists, comprising 10 students of tertiary institutions, bricklayer, one trailer motorboy and a marijuana seller were arrested  by the Oyo State Police
Command during initiation of new members in Saki, Oke-Ogun axis of the state.

The cultists were among the 30 suspects paraded on Thursday by the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Shina Olukolu, at Eleyele, Ibadan, the state capital.

Items recovered from the suspects include 3, 519 ammunition, two arms, 24 bags of corn, 20 telephone handsets, two cutlasses, three knives, one sledge hammer, and weeds suspected to be Indian hemp, and foreign currency among others.

According to the state Commissioner of Police,  the names of the suspected cultists are Aremu Ayodele, 21, of Computer Science National Diploma II, The Polytechnic Ibadan; Adebayo Emmanuel, 23, of Political Science Department, University of Ibadan; Precious Ebuka, 21, of Agricultural Economic Department, Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara State; and Busari Hammed, 27, of Business Administration Department, National Open University (NOUN).

Six purported students of Oke-Ogun Polytechnic, namely Raheem Jamiu, 21, of Accountancy ND II; Adeniran Oluwasegun, 21, of Business Administration ND II; Olatunji Kehinde, 22, of Public Administration, HND I; Akinola Tola, 23, of Accountancy HND I; Kolapo Israel, 21, of Public Administration HND II; and Koleoso Samson, 23, of Agricultural Engineering, ND II.

Also, Yekini Kazeem, 23, alleged dealer on trailer parts and weeds; Oyesoro Damilola, 25, a trailer motorboy; and Sanusi Mutiu, 23, who is said to be a bricklayer were among the three non-students.

ALSO READ  Police arrested wanted Offa bank robbers

During the parade, the state Commissioner of Polices explained, “On May 1, 2019, at about 17:30hours, information was received at Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) operational base, Saki that some members of a notorious secret confraternity, who have been inflicting various acts of violence and nefarious criminal activities on members of the public in Saki town and other areas in Oke Ogun axis of Oyo State, were sighted in their hideout beside Nighles Hotel in Saki.

“They had gathered to initiate new members into the secret confraternity. Based on this credible information, a team of SARS operatives headed by Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Olusola Aremu, was quickly drafted to the area and in the process, 10 members of the cult group, who confessed to be members of Eiye Confraternity were arrested. Three other members of the group who managed to escape were later arrested in Ibadan.”

One of the suspects, Olatunji Kehinde, confessed further,  “I am a cultist. We were having a meeting when we were arrested. It is not true that we wanted to do initiation when we were arrested because everybody at the meeting was already initiated. We all belong to Eiye Confraternity. I joined the group last year.”

Items recovered from the suspected cultists included one Jack knife, one live cartridge, two black caps, criminal charms and weeds suspected to be Indian hemp.

The Police Chief in the state said investigation was still ongoing to arrest other fleeing members of the group.

 

ALSO READ  Nigerian man stabbed to death in UK

Continue Reading
Comments

Crime & Court

COZA Pastor, Fatoyinbo asks court to dismiss Dakolo’s suit, demands N50m

Published

on

By

Senior pastor of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo, has asked the FCT High Court to dismiss the suit filed by Photographer, Mrs Busola Dakola.

Contained in  an application filed through his lawyers, Pastor Fatoyinbo also demanded that he is awarded a sum of N50 million as damages.

According to the application, he called for the dismissal of the suit on the grounds that it is incompetent and frivolous.

 

 

 

 

 

 

ALSO READ  Female lawyer, Yewande sentenced to 7 years for manslaughter
Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Aregbesola charges governors to use modern technology in tackling insecurity

Published

on

By

The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, on Wednesday charged state governors especially the North East and North Western Zones of the country, to emulate the Kaduna State Government’s model of tackling insecurity through the deployment of modern technology.

The minister emphasized  that the use of modern technology will help the Federal Government’s efforts and security personnel in combating all forms of crime and criminality in the zones.

Aregbesola made the call in his office in Abuja, when he received in audience the Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufa’i who paid him a courtesy visit

According to the former Osun state governor , crime has become complex the world over and that can best be tackled through the deployment of modern technology to assist the security personnel deployed to ensure the security of lives and property in the country.

“Through the use of modern technology, the menace of banditry, cattle rustling, kidnapping and other vices bedeviling the country will be put behind within the shortest possible time”, he assured.

Speaking further, he noted that this will influence the development of an effective strategy on a regional basis for curtailing the menace of insecurity and its attendant challenges facing the nation, especially in the North-Western Zone.

ALSO READ  UN Security Council reacts to acts of terrorism in Northeast Nigeria

Aregbesola who said that security is the key to effective, meaningful and social interaction, stressed that the economy of any nation depends on its internal security.

While commending the Governor for seeking collaboration with the Federal Government in the fight against insecurity, the Minister stressed that the state of insecurity facing the country in recent times was a national challenge that demands a collective effort to stem, and therefore urged the Governors to continue to collaborate with the Federal Government in its efforts to provide safety and security to Nigerians.

Ogbeni Aregbesola  lauded  Governor El-Rufai for his support to the State Commands of the Security Agencies under the Ministry in Kaduna State through the provision of conducive atmosphere to enable them to contribute effectively towards the protection of lives and property in the state.

He reiterated that President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration is committed to the provision of security to Nigerians in order to encourage economic development and revitalization of the economy as well as entrench transparency in the system so as to move the country to the next level.

Earlier in his remarks, the Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai informed that he was in the Ministry to first, congratulate the Minister on his recent appointment and to seek for collaboration on how best to tackle the spate of insecurity in the state.

ALSO READ  FCA, Ibadan crises: Alumni Association calls for Buhari's intervention

The governor said that the Federal Government has done creditably well towards restoring security along the Kaduna-Abuja Expressway through the deployment of security personnel from all relevant Ministries, Departments, and Agencies that are in charge of ensuring security in the country.

El-Rufai expressed the State Government’s desire to continue to collaborate with the Ministry of Interior and other security agencies in the fight against insecurity, noting that, Kaduna State Government is willing to give its necessary assistance that will support the security agencies in combating crime and criminality in the state and its environs.

The Governor who stated that the state was now safe, compared to the situation in a few months back, commended the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for its dogged determination to fight against crime, describing it as one of the best security agencies in the country.

 

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Lagos: Woman arrested for stabbing husband to death over daughter’s birthday party

Published

on

By

Homicide detectives from Surulere Division in Lagos State have arrested Stella Peter, for allegedly stabbing her husband, Bala Haruna to death following an argument over their daughter’s one-year birthday.

An argument, as gathered  ensued between them which turned violent and the woman used a kitchen knife to stab the man in the back which led to his death.

The woman, Stella who confessed to the crime, accused the man of refusing to release money for their daughter’s birthday party.

The Police Spokesperson, Bala Elkana confirmed this  in a statement on Tuesday, adding that the couple were not actually married but lived together at 2 Tejuosho Avenue, Surulere Lagos, for three years and have a baby who just turned one.

Homicide detectives from the State Criminal Investigation Department Yaba have taken over and commenced an investigation into the case and the suspect will be charged to court for murder.

 

ALSO READ  Oyo 2019: I am the most qualified governorship candidate - Shittu.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: