Connect with us

Sports

50 days to go until FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019 kicks off, over 720,000 tickets sold

Published

on

Today marks 50 days until the eighth edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup kicks off in France, and FIFA and the Local Organising Committee (LOC) are proud to announce that ticket sales for the competition are smashing records, with over 720,000 sold so far.

The opening match of the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019 at Paris’ Parc de Princes is sold out, as are the two semi-finals and the final, which will all be held at the Stade de Lyon. Seats for each of these games were snapped up within 48 hours of individual match tickets going on sale.

Tickets for three group-stage fixtures – the Netherlands v. Cameroon in Valenciennes on 15 June, Nigeria v. France in Rennes on 17 June and Sweden v. the USA in Le Havre on 20 June – have also sold out in record time.

Excitement is building across the competition’s nine Host Cities of Grenoble, Le Havre, Lyon, Montpellier, Nice, Paris, Reims, Rennes and Valenciennes as the big kick-off draws closer, with Reims and Rennes staging special events to celebrate the 50-day milestone.

Speaking about the 50-day countdown, LOC Director Erwan Le Prévost said: “Today is a symbolic date that takes us a step closer to the beginning of the competition, which kicks off on 7 June at the Parc des Princes in Paris. We are all eagerly looking forward to the start of this FIFA Women’s World Cup and ticket sales show that the French public and foreign fans feel the same way.”

ALSO READ  Lagos, Balmoral Group to Build World Cup Village At Eko Atlantic City

FIFA’s Chief Commercial Officer, Philippe Le Floc’h, said: “The eighth edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup will see the greatest female footballers from around the globe travel to France this summer. Ticket sales figures show that people are excited about the competition and we are looking forward to seeing the stadiums across France packed with passionate fans.”

The FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019 will take place between 7 June and 7 July.

Comments

Sports

£53m Deal: Chelsea close to signing Werner

Published

on

By

Chelsea are closing in on a deal to sign striker Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, British media reported Thursday.

The 24-year-old had been thought to be attracting interest from Premier League champions-elect Liverpool but it appears Chelsea have in fact met the German’s reported release clause of some £53 million ($67 million).

Were Chelsea to bring Werner to Stamford Bridge it would be a major feather in the cap of the west London club.

For the past year, there has been speculation linking Werner with a move to Anfield but time appears to be running out for the Reds, with the forward’s release clause expiring on June 15 — two days before the Premier League is set to restart after a coronavirus-enforced break of several months.

The Germany international has scored 31 goals for Leipzig in all competitions.

Chelsea have already agreed on a deal to sign Ajax winger Hakim Ziyech.

AFP

ALSO READ  Salisu Yusuff: Mikel Right to move to China
Continue Reading

Sports

3 months after, English premier league to start by June 17

Published

on

By

The Premier League season is set to restart on June 17, three months after it was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, it was widely reported on Thursday.

No matches have been played in the English top-flight since Leicester’s 4-0 win over Aston Villa on March 9, with Liverpool just two wins away from securing the title.

The BBC reported that the first two matches would be Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City v Arsenal. Those matches are the two games in hand.

A full fixture list would then be played on the weekend of June 19-21, the reports said, with matches to be played behind closed doors.

The Premier League suspended all fixtures in March after Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive for COVID-19.

There are still 92 matches to play and although Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool appear certain to be crowned champions, the relegation and European qualification still need to be resolved.

– Training return –

Top-flight clubs voted unanimously on Wednesday to return to contact training and were meeting again on Thursday to discuss issues including the restart date and the rebate to broadcasters.

It is predicted that clubs face repaying up to £340 million ($419 million) to broadcasters.

ALSO READ  FA Cup prize money revealed: How much YOUR club will earn from 2017/18 competition

So far, just 12 people have tested positive for coronavirus after 2,752 tests across the Premier League.

Germany’s Bundesliga resumed earlier this month and La Liga in Spain hopes to return from June 11, while a crucial summit between Italian football officials and the country’s sports minister will be held later on Thursday.

Liverpool are 25 points clear at the top of the table while Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Norwich City are in the relegation places.

The leaders could clinch the title with victory in their first game back should second-placed Manchester City lose to Arsenal.

Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho spoke this week of his desperation to get playing again after seeing football resume elsewhere.

“Honestly, since the moment the Bundesliga started, the Portuguese league and Spanish league announced a date to start, I think it is the most difficult moment for us, because we want to play,” he told Sky Sports.

Some players have voiced fears over their safety and that of their families due to the virus.

Watford captain Troy Deeney has revealed that people have told him they want his baby son to contract coronavirus after he chose not to return to training.

Deeney has been absent from training since Watford and other Premier League clubs returned to non-contact sessions last week.

ALSO READ  Lacazette at the double as skipper Ozil finds the net

“I saw some comments in regards to my son, people saying: ‘I hope your son gets corona’,” Deeney told CNN Sport.

“That’s the hard part for me. If you respond to that, people then go: ‘Ah, we’ve got him’ and they keep doing it.”

Deeney is understood to be due to resume training next week.

AFP

 

Continue Reading

Sports

In Spain, five footballers test positive for COVID-19

Published

on

By

No fewer than five players from Spain’s top two leagues have tested positive for coronavirus, La Liga confirmed on Sunday.

Players in Spain’s top-flight and Segunda division were allowed to carry out individual work at training grounds last week.

The move was the beginning of a staggered training programme, with the aim to restart competitive games in the middle of June.

La Liga insist identifying infected players through positive tests are part of that plan.

The five players, who have not been officially named, will now be quarantined at home and tested again “in the next few days”.

They will be allowed to rejoin their club’s training programme only after obtaining two consecutive negative test results.

A La Liga statement read: “Among La Liga Santander and La Liga SmartBank (Segunda) clubs, five positive cases were detected in players, all of them asymptomatic and in the final phase of the disease.”

“One of the objectives of these medical tests, according to the La Liga’s protocol for returning to training, according to recommendations of the CSD (Supreme Sports Council) and the Ministry of Health, was precisely to detect the denominated or asymptomatic, that is, those people who are infected and that, without presenting symptoms, they can infect other people,” the statement added.

ALSO READ  Man Utd beat Leicester 2-0 to go top

“In this way, we guarantee everyone’s safety when returning to work according to the occupational risk regulations.”

La Liga’s training plan includes players initially carrying out work individually before then expanding into small groups and finally taking part in larger team sessions.

Barcelona’s players were back for their first session on Friday while Real Madrid’s will return on Monday.

The medical protocol for training is strict and includes players arriving already changed and at specific times to avoid contact with others. They wear masks and gloves, and have their temperatures taken before entering the premises. At the end of training, they take away a bag of fresh kit for the next day and shower at home.

The league have not officially announced the timing for the resumption of competitive matches although Leganes coach Javier Aguirre said last week the proposed date is June 20.

That could correspond with the Spanish government’s de-escalation programme, which includes outside events being allowed to go ahead in their fourth and final phase, as long as they are attended by fewer than 400 people.

Football matches are expected to be staged behind closed doors for several months.

La Liga president Javier Tebas has said “it is not an option” to cancel the top flight given he estimates the economic fallout would cost clubs around a billion euros ($1.08 billion).

ALSO READ  Salisu Yusuff: Mikel Right to move to China

But the third and fourth tiers in Spain will not complete their seasons, as confirmed by the Spanish football federation (RFEF) on Wednesday. Instead, promotions will be decided through play-offs and there will be no relegations.

 

Source: AFP

Continue Reading

COVID-19 ALERT

Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: