Using Phones At Checkpoint Is Wrong, Says Military Chief - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

News

Using Phones At Checkpoint Is Wrong, Says Military Chief

Published

on

The Army has said that the use of phones when approaching a military checkpoint is wrong because it is a security loophole.  Chief of Civil-Military Affairs, Major-General Usman Mohammed disclosed this  on Monday.

Major-General Mohammed reacted when he was asked why the military frowns on motorists using their phones while approaching a checkpoint.

“It is a security measure when you are approaching a checkpoint,” he said, “you don’t make phone calls. Because the tendency is that if you are making a phone call, you might be communicating with some bad guys. Or you may use that particular device to set up some certain devices.

“It is a general convention; it is not peculiar to Nigeria, it is everywhere; people who have travelled abroad know that you don’t make phone calls when approaching a checkpoint.”

He stressed that relations between the military and civilians were improving.

Speaking further, he  also noted that while human rights violations have not been eliminated, the military is working assiduously to limit such crimes.

“We soldiers are part of the society,” he said. “We didn’t fall from the sky. We are a product of the society in which we are operating. Where you have one or two individuals behaving differently from what the military stands for, you don’t say everybody is abusing human rights.

ALSO READ  How Awolowo, Akintola Destroyed Action Group | By Idowu Ayodele

“Where those occur, we identify those individuals, investigate and sanctions are applied.

“But generally, we are doing a lot in terms of educating our personnel, and also we are instituting measures to ensure that human rights violations are reduced to the barest minimum.”

Comments

News

{VIDEO}: Police Disobey IGP Order – Oyo LG Boss Alleges

Published

on

The Council  Chairman of Ajorosun Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Oyo state, Mr Adeyinka Adeyemi on Monday alleged that police officers in the council have gone against the order of the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu  as he was restricted access to the council secretariat alongside other elected councilors.

Adeyinka also alleged that the Police specifically stated that they were acting on the instruction of the Oyo state government not to allow elected executives to gain entrance into the local government council secretariat.

The council boss in a video obtained by Mega Icon Magazine added that the council secretariat was under lock and key.

 

The IGP, Adamu had earlier directed the Commissioner of Police in Oyo state, Mr Shina Olukolu, to take actions to implement the legal opinion of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) on the sacked local government chairmen in the state.

Adamu in a letter signed by his Principal Staff Officer, Idowu Owohunwa, dated January 23, 2020 was in response to an earlier letter written by Prince Abass-Aleshiloye, the ALGON Chairman.

The letter titled “Re: Federal Government Order to Governor Seyi Makinde to Reverse Sack of Local Government/ Local Council Development Areas Chairmen in Oyo State- Result for Police Protection”, reads:

ALSO READ  South Africa: Policeman Sentenced To 30Years In Prison For Killing Nigerian

“Your letter dated 21st, January, 2020 on the above underlined subject, refers,

“I am to inform you that the Inspector-General of Police has directed the Commissioner of Police, Oyo State to initiate appropriate actions in line with the legal opinion of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice on the matter.

“You may accordingly, liaise with him to facilitate. Accept the assurances of the esteemed regards of the Inspector General of Police, please”.

But, the Ajorosun LCDA council boss, Adeyinka in the video recorded at the Council secretariat today lamented, “Hello Executive member of ALGON, this is Ajorosun LCDA, we are live in front of the local government with my Councilors, Supervisory Councilors and party executives .

“As you can see, the Nigeria Police men said we cannot enter that the instruction from the state government states that they should not allow democratically elected local government executives to enter the local government.

“As you can see, I am right in front of the local government, everywhere is under lock and key and they have carried out the order of the state government contrary to the order of the IG that is what the police in my local government are doing . I want you to react on that and  notify everybody that should be notified that the Nigeria Police has gone against the order of the IG”.

ALSO READ  Aregbesola's deputy , Tomori breaks silence, tells public to disregard rumours of alliance with opposition

It was also reliably gathered that the situation was the same in  Ibadan North East Local Government and some local councils in the Oke Ogun axis of the state.

Continue Reading

News

EU, UN concerned by increasing attacks against aid workers in Borno, Adamawa, Yobe

Published

on

By

The European Union (EU) and the United Nations (UN) expressed concerns, in a joint press conference last  Friday about the recent upsurge in attacks against aid workers and civilians recorded in recent weeks in the north-eastern states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.

Amidst a deteriorating security situation, they reiterated their commitment to work better together and strengthen efforts to provide life-saving assistance to those affected by more than ten years of crisis in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states, in north-east Nigeria, and to increase support to people rebuilding their lives and communities.

On his first official trip outside Europe, Janez Lenarčič, European Commissioner for Crisis Management, joined by the Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, met with President Muhammadu Buhari, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hon. Sadiya Umar Farouq, and Borno State Governor, Prof Babagana Zulum, as well as various partners from local CSOs, international NGOs and UN agencies implementing the humanitarian response in north-east Nigeria.

During this two-day visit, Commissioner Lenarčič and Mr Kallon, also met with people displaced and affected by the violence in the Borno State town of Gwoza and visited EU-funded relief projects.

Announcing that the European Union will allocate an additional €26.5 million in humanitarian aid,Commissioner Lenarčič declared: “I saw first-hand today the suffering that conflict has brought to people’s lives and how crucial humanitarian aid is to people’s survival. What matters most is that humanitarian organisations can reach all the people in need, without restrictions, including in areas under the influence of non-state armed groups. It is vital that all States and parties to armed conflicts respect their obligation to allow and facilitate the rapid and unimpeded passage of humanitarian relief.

ALSO READ  British High Commissioner Endorses Ooni's Entrepreneurship Initiative 

It is also key to implement in parallel a comprehensive strategy in the region, exploring political tracks while addressing the root causes of conflict.” Recent weeks have been marked by an upsurge in violent attacks from non-state armed groups and an increasing trend of illegal checkpoints on major supply and commercial routes directly targeting civilians, authorities and aid workers, especially in Borno State.

Twelve aid workers were deliberately and brutally murdered by non-state armed groups in 2019, twice the number in 2018. Two aid workers, Grace Taku and Alice Loksha, are still being held hostage by non-state armed groups and the humanitarian community call for their immediate and safe release.

“This highly symbolic visit comes at a critical time and brings together the United Nations, international and Nigerian NGOs, local and national CSOs and the European Union, as one of the most important donors,” highlighted Mr Kallon. “We are extremely worried that civilians and those who are providing them with assistance are the direct target of violent attacks, hindering our ability to save lives and help people rebuild livelihoods and communities.”

“All actors and stakeholders must strengthen their efforts to provide life-saving assistance to the most vulnerable people affected by the crisis, and do their utmost to guarantee the protection of civilians and aid workers, and safe, unconditional access to the people in need,” added the Humanitarian Coordinator.

ALSO READ  EKIFEST’s tool for cultural re-armament, youth development – Alawe, Commission for Youths

The humanitarian crisis in Nigeria remains one of the largest crises across the globe. In a complex and volatile security environment, the United Nations and NGO partners, in collaboration with local and national authorities in Nigeria, have delivered urgent support and basic services to over 5.6 million people in the crisis-affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, in Nigeria’s north-east.
In 2020, the humanitarian community estimates that 7.7 million people will need emergency assistance.

Over 1.8 million people, across the three crisis-affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe are still living in camps or are hosted in other communities, that are themselves becoming extremely vulnerable.

1.2 million people in need remain cut off from humanitarian aid in hard-to-reach areas.

Continue Reading

News

Oyo: Adekanmbi visits, commiserates with family of slain APC leader

Published

on

The immediate past Commissioner for Finance and Budget in Oyo state, Mr. Bimbo Adekanmbi has visited the family of the late leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state, Alhaji Babatunde Oreitan, who was killed by unknown Assassins.

The revered political leader, Alhaji Oreitan was murdered on Wednesday at his Oremeji residence in Ona Ara Local Government Area of the state.

Adekanmbi who joined thousands of sympathisers in the state to commiserate with the family of the deceased described late Oreitan as a committed leader who put in his best for the smooth running of democracy in the state, adding that he led his people with absolute dedication to the highest good.

” Our leader, Baba wa, Baba Ore, only God knows all. We are shocked and saddened. May Allah grant you rest, Amen. You will be greatly missed by all”, the ex -commissioner submitted

Consoling the grieving family Adekanmbi said: “I received with sadness, news of the death of Baba. He was a kind gentle old man. He was courteous to all who met him. He was kind to friends and strangers alike, and he gave of himself generously to those who went to him for leadership tutor, his political leadership was never about personal ambition for its own sake.

ALSO READ  How Awolowo, Akintola Destroyed Action Group | By Idowu Ayodele

“He was a man of the people, who served for the people and now, has left a legacy which the rest of us must emulate and surpass.

“My heart goes out to Baba wives, children, his extended family, political associate and to his friends, I pray that God will give them the grace to bear this loss, and grant Al-Janah Fridaos to our Baba”, he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: