UN decries killing of over 1,400 Nigerians by gunmen within 6 months - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

News

UN decries killing of over 1,400 Nigerians by gunmen within 6 months

Published

on

The United Nations on Tuesday condemned the spate of killings in Nigeria, disclosing that over 1,400 people have been killed as a result of kidnapping and banditry within a period of six months.

The UN Country Director, Edward Kallon disclosed this in Makurdi, the Benue state capital at a meeting with Governor Samuel Ortom, noting that killings by armed herdsmen and bandits outweigh killings by the Book Haram terrorist in the country.

According to Kallon, “pockets of conflicts and insecurity in the country at large especially where I am today (Benue), the herders and farmers crisis and also kidnapping and banditry. This is now really getting out of hand.

“The last statistics I saw from the government was that over 1,400 people were killed as a result of kidnapping and banditry since the elections.

“This is not a pleasant statistics,” he said.

Kallon also claimed that institutional failure at all levels of governance is responsible for the killing of over 1,400 persons since March 2019, particularly by armed herdsmen, bandits, and kidnappings.

He called on the government to pay attention to issues of insecurity.

“We all know the statistics and the menace of herders/farmers problems. There were more people killed by the herders and farmers crisis than the Boko Haram crisis in Nigeria.

ALSO READ  Benue governor, Ortom raises alarm over alleged threat to his life

“When I said this in Abuja, it was not being welcomed but that was one statistics we have.  These are all due to weak institutions and governance deficit at the Federal, state and local level,” Kallon said.

Governor Samuel Ortom at the event alleged that those responsible for fashioning out a solution to herdsmen attacks choose to politicise the issue.

According to Governor Ortom,  adopting the position of the National Economic Council which recommended ranching is the best solution to animal husbandry.

Kallon is in Benue state to follow up on earlier commitment by the UN to support the rehabilitation and resettlements programme for victims of herdsmen attacks in the state.

After signing the visitor’s register at the end of the meeting, the UN delegation moves to Gbajimba in Guma local council to take possession of the land donated to them by the state government for the rehabilitation projects to ensure these IDPs are properly reintegrated back to the society.

Comments

News

FRCN denies harassing NUJ President in Ibadan

Published

on

Chairman, Nigeria Union of journalists, NUJ, FRCN,  Ibadan Chapel, Alhaji Nafiu Busari on Wednessday urged the public to disregard an information making the round that his members assaulted the union’s president, Chief Chris Isiguzo.

The chairman described the report as unprofessional and barbaric in nature, just as he implored the group that wrote the story to take time to upgrade their journalism skills to avoid dishing false information to the public.

In a statement made available to Mega Icon Magazine, Busari explained that the  national president, Chris isiguzo and his entourage had  earlier informed the management of their intentions of paying courtesy call on Tuesday, 25th February.

” On arrival, they came with Demola Babalola who has been facing legal charges on his eligibility to participate in NUJ election.

” My members held a congress earlier in the day and resolved that Babalola, and other syndicates were not expected in the station”, he said.

Busari added that the president with his entourage were welcomed by the FRCN management while others were politely informed that they were not welcomed.

“The  Zonal Director, Alhaji Muhammed Bello gave a warm welcome to NUJ President and the meeting was fulfilling as Isiguso described Alhaji Bello as a good union man.

ALSO READ  New Year Killings: Yoruba Youths commiserate with Benue, Rivers, Kwara, called for arrest of perpetrators

“If there was any rancor, it would be reflected in the pictures, NUJ delegation were comfortable as they even left with souvenir of FRCN.

” My members are decent and professional, I understand where the story is coming from and I understand their plights.

“We have a matter in court and we are determined to see that justice prevails. No matter how long.

“The public should disregard the information, the reality will soon be revealed to the public”, the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

News

Unruly FRCN reporters harass NUJ President, Isiguzo, others in Ibadan

Published

on

By

Some staff of Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN), Ibadan Office on Tuesday displayed their unruly behaviour to Chief Chris Isiguzo, the President, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) and other members of his entourage.

The delegation led by the president had visited the station as part of his ongoing official visit to Ibadan.

The members of staff led by Mr Adedayo Adelowo(Associate Member), Laolu Fawole(Suspended Member) and Mrs Abisola Oluremi (Associate Member) had besieged the gate harassing members of the delegation.

Some members of the delegation were later allowed into the premises leaving others who could not stand the harassment to leave the premises.

However, a top official of the station who craved anonymity, said the members of staff have just caused the station corporate embarrassment, saying they would pay dearly for the act.

It would be recalled that Mr Adewunmi Faniran, a staff of the station and immediate past Chairman of NUJ in the state had lost his re-election to Mr Ademola Babalola in the last election held on Dec. 18, 2019.

Faniran, who is from the FRCN chapel, one of the 10 existing chapels in the state had only six votes to the 179 votes polled by Babalola in the election.

ALSO READ  UN allocates $9 million to help thousands of people displaced in north-east Nigeria

Babalola and Mr Bamigbola Gbolagunte, NUJ Zonal Secretary(South West) in separate interviews condemned the act, saying such act was not good for the image of a government institution like FRCN.

The duo in their reaction said that the members of staff should have sought a better civilised way of channeling their grievances than resorting to self-help in the form of harrassment and hooliganism.

Babalola called for calm, saying they are yet to come to terms with the reality on ground.

“They are my members and you can understand when one of them came to plead for my understanding that they were acting on the orders of their boss.

“I know they are still suffering from the defeat of their boss but they should understand that power comes from God and only Him enthrones whosoever He wishes.

“They are my members and I will welcome them back to the fold anytime they are ready. For us, one out of existing 10 chapels in the State cannot hold the union to ransom,” Babalola added.

A text message sent to the Zonal Director of the station to get his reaction was not replied as at the time of filing the report.

On the entourage of the president were Mr Cosmas Oni, Vice-President(South West), Chief Wilson Bako, Vice President (North Central), Mrs Bimbola Oyetunde, SSA to the NUJ President, who is also General Manager, Bronze FM.

ALSO READ  'Don’t ignore your responsibilities to children' - Ooni, Yeyeluwa charge govt.

Also on the delegation are Alhaji Alli Atabor, National Trustee, Mr Silva Okereke, National Trustee, Mr Abiodun Olalere, Former Chairman, NUJ Osun Council, Mr Bamigbola Gbolagunte, NUJ Zonal Secretary(South West).

Others are Babalola, Oyo NUJ Chairman, Mr Sola Oladapo, Oyo NUJ Secretary and Mr Akeem Abas, Oyo NUJ Treasurer.

Continue Reading

News

Kano govt. to continue N3.4bn probe against Emir Sanusi

Published

on

By

The Kano State government has reaffirmed that it will continue the investigation into the alleged financial misappropriation of over 3.4 billion naira against Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II.

The government through Mr Muhyi Magaji Rimingado, Executive Chairman of Kano State public complaints and anti-corruption commission stated  this while reacting to the ruling of the Federal High Court in Kano that quashed the interim investigation report.

Mr Rimingado at a press conference on Monday, said though the court has nullified the report on the basis of non-invitation of the Emir,but his commission will go ahead with its investigation and invite Emir Sanusi in compliance with the court ruling.

He added that another option available to the Kano State government is to appeal the judgment as there are numerous grounds for appeal.

 

ALSO READ  Too many babies are born too small
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: