Obasanjo's $16bn Power Project: EFCC Begins Probe, Arrest Four - Mega Icon Magazine
Connect with us

Crime & Court

Obasanjo’s $16bn Power Project: EFCC Begins Probe, Arrest Four

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday  detained two top officials of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC), the company which supervised execution of the $16 billion failed power projects.

The officials are Head of Finance Marvel Emefiele and Head of Compensation Eze M. C. Odigbo.

They are expected to account for the N850 million earmarked as compensation to communities where components of the power project were sited

Others in EFCC’s net are Managing Director of Pivot Engineering Mr. Richard Ayibiowu and the Managing Director of Chris Ejik Nigeria Limited Mr.  Christain Ejik Imoka.

Detectives are on the trail 18 more suspects including two former governors, a former chairman of a bank and a former chairman of an airline.

About 15 more companies are also on the EFCC radar, it was learnt last night. There are fears that some of the suspects might have secretly relocated abroad.

President Muhammadu Buhari has repeatedly wondered how $16 billion was spent on power and there is no electricity generated.  He subsequently ordered a probe into the expenditure.

A source in the anti-graft commission said: “The NPDHC officials are being detained by the EFCC, following their alleged involvement in bogus payment and diversion of about N850million compensation to communities where the components of the power projects were sited.

ALSO READ  Abuja High Court Quashes EFCC’s Declaration of Benedict Peters as ‘Wanted’ - Orders Removal of ‘Wanted’ Declaration from EFCC Website

“Investigation revealed that approval was granted for the payment of N84billion to the communities where transmission lines of the power project are meant to be laid.

“Investigators discovered that there were serious issues arising from the payment of the compensation to the communities.

“Though about N50 billion compensation was said to have been paid to the communities, the contractors were said to have been prevented from working by the communities over non- payment of the same compensation which the NPDHC records claimed had been paid.

“Emefiele was said to have approved the payment of N850million as NPDHC Head of Finance while Odigbo, Head of Compensation reportedly effected the compensation to the communities. The two officials are being quizzed over the propriety of the matter.

“The Managing Director of Pivot Engineering, Mr. Richard Ayibiowu, is being detained over alleged payment of N350million to the communities.  Part of  LOT 8 of the power project, Ihiala /Orlu Transmission Line, was not executed by Pivot Engineering due to the alleged claim of hostility by the communities while about N350million was on record as paid to the same communities. Mr. Oba Otudeko is the chairman of Pivot Engineering.”

“The Managing Director of Chris Ejik Nigeria Limited, Mr. Christain Ejik Imoka, is being detained over controversial payment of N500million contract LOT 14, which ought to include Lekki-Ajah Transmission Line, which was not executed. But money was paid to that effect.

ALSO READ  Ex-Kwara Lawmaker Arraigned Over Alleged Land Fraud

“The detained officials allegedly failed to honour previous invitations from the commission.”

The source said: “We have invited about 15 companies implicated in the mismanagement of funds meant for the power projects. One of the firms got four contracts but was only able to put in place 30 per cent of the construction. The firm also claimed that it imported certain materials since 2013 and lying in Onne Port without clearing.”

 

NAN

Continue Reading
Comments

Crime & Court

COZA Pastor, Fatoyinbo asks court to dismiss Dakolo’s suit, demands N50m

Published

on

By

Senior pastor of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo, has asked the FCT High Court to dismiss the suit filed by Photographer, Mrs Busola Dakola.

Contained in  an application filed through his lawyers, Pastor Fatoyinbo also demanded that he is awarded a sum of N50 million as damages.

According to the application, he called for the dismissal of the suit on the grounds that it is incompetent and frivolous.

 

 

 

 

 

 

ALSO READ  Abuja High Court Quashes EFCC’s Declaration of Benedict Peters as ‘Wanted’ - Orders Removal of ‘Wanted’ Declaration from EFCC Website
Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Aregbesola charges governors to use modern technology in tackling insecurity

Published

on

By

The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, on Wednesday charged state governors especially the North East and North Western Zones of the country, to emulate the Kaduna State Government’s model of tackling insecurity through the deployment of modern technology.

The minister emphasized  that the use of modern technology will help the Federal Government’s efforts and security personnel in combating all forms of crime and criminality in the zones.

Aregbesola made the call in his office in Abuja, when he received in audience the Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufa’i who paid him a courtesy visit

According to the former Osun state governor , crime has become complex the world over and that can best be tackled through the deployment of modern technology to assist the security personnel deployed to ensure the security of lives and property in the country.

“Through the use of modern technology, the menace of banditry, cattle rustling, kidnapping and other vices bedeviling the country will be put behind within the shortest possible time”, he assured.

Speaking further, he noted that this will influence the development of an effective strategy on a regional basis for curtailing the menace of insecurity and its attendant challenges facing the nation, especially in the North-Western Zone.

ALSO READ  ASUU to EFCC, ICPC:  Make public fraud investigation reports on UNILORIN.

Aregbesola who said that security is the key to effective, meaningful and social interaction, stressed that the economy of any nation depends on its internal security.

While commending the Governor for seeking collaboration with the Federal Government in the fight against insecurity, the Minister stressed that the state of insecurity facing the country in recent times was a national challenge that demands a collective effort to stem, and therefore urged the Governors to continue to collaborate with the Federal Government in its efforts to provide safety and security to Nigerians.

Ogbeni Aregbesola  lauded  Governor El-Rufai for his support to the State Commands of the Security Agencies under the Ministry in Kaduna State through the provision of conducive atmosphere to enable them to contribute effectively towards the protection of lives and property in the state.

He reiterated that President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration is committed to the provision of security to Nigerians in order to encourage economic development and revitalization of the economy as well as entrench transparency in the system so as to move the country to the next level.

Earlier in his remarks, the Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai informed that he was in the Ministry to first, congratulate the Minister on his recent appointment and to seek for collaboration on how best to tackle the spate of insecurity in the state.

ALSO READ  2018: Buhari gives hope, assure Nigerians of stabilised economy

The governor said that the Federal Government has done creditably well towards restoring security along the Kaduna-Abuja Expressway through the deployment of security personnel from all relevant Ministries, Departments, and Agencies that are in charge of ensuring security in the country.

El-Rufai expressed the State Government’s desire to continue to collaborate with the Ministry of Interior and other security agencies in the fight against insecurity, noting that, Kaduna State Government is willing to give its necessary assistance that will support the security agencies in combating crime and criminality in the state and its environs.

The Governor who stated that the state was now safe, compared to the situation in a few months back, commended the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for its dogged determination to fight against crime, describing it as one of the best security agencies in the country.

 

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Lagos: Woman arrested for stabbing husband to death over daughter’s birthday party

Published

on

By

Homicide detectives from Surulere Division in Lagos State have arrested Stella Peter, for allegedly stabbing her husband, Bala Haruna to death following an argument over their daughter’s one-year birthday.

An argument, as gathered  ensued between them which turned violent and the woman used a kitchen knife to stab the man in the back which led to his death.

The woman, Stella who confessed to the crime, accused the man of refusing to release money for their daughter’s birthday party.

The Police Spokesperson, Bala Elkana confirmed this  in a statement on Tuesday, adding that the couple were not actually married but lived together at 2 Tejuosho Avenue, Surulere Lagos, for three years and have a baby who just turned one.

Homicide detectives from the State Criminal Investigation Department Yaba have taken over and commenced an investigation into the case and the suspect will be charged to court for murder.

 

ALSO READ  Man Utd beat Leicester 2-0 to go top
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: