Sports
National Sports Festival: Oyo athletes to receive rewards soon – Govt. reacts

Oyo State Athletes who won medals at the Edo 2020 National Sports Festival will soon receive their cash rewards soon, as the Ministry of Youth and Sports has already received the Governor’s approval for the rewards meant for the medalists.
Mega Icon Magazine, had earlier reported that the Athletes who represented the state are groaning over inability to receive the cash promises made by Governor Seyi Makinde three months after the reception held for the medalists at the governor’s office.
The governor pledged to facilitate the payment within two weeks after his pronouncement. However, according to the athletes, ‘no kobo’ was received from the state government.
But, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor ‘Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, in his reaction on Monday, added that the governor remains committed to the promises he made when he hosted the athletes shortly after the games.
According to the statement, each of the athletes concerned would soon receive the cash rewards as promised by the Governor.
“His Excellency, the Governor has already given necessary approvals for the release of the funds and the Ministry of Youth and Sports should be in possession of the cash in a short while,” the statement read.
Governor Makinde had, while hosting the athletes after the games, promised a cash reward of N500,000 for each gold medalist; N350,000 reward for silver medalists and N250,000 reward for each bronze medal.
He had also announced that the coaches would be rewarded with N500,000 each.
The only gold medalist who competed in shotput and discus is to get an additional N1 Million, while the paralifting athlete will also be given an additional N1 Million.
Adisa maintained that the athletes will be rewarded in a short while, urging those affected not to lose confidence in the administration, which he said has shown huge commitment to welfare of the athletes.
He said: “The Governor has approved the cash rewards for the medalists and coaches in the Oyo State contingent to the Edo 2020 Sports Festival.
“Once the Ministry of Youth and Sports completes the processing, the athletes will receive their rewards.
“His Excellency made it clear while hosting the athletes that they should rest assured that they would get their due rewards. The processes are almost completed and everyone will be duly rewarded.
“It will be recalled that His Excellency pointed out how he met a 2018 file containing the unfulfilled promises made by the immediate past administration to the State’s athletes and how his Government had immediately paid the athletes involved, even when it was an inherited promise.
“Some of the athletes might have expressed worries that the processes towards the release of the funds took a bit of time, but with Governor Makinde, who has proven himself over the time as a Governor who makes and keeps his promises, such worries should not be entertained.
“The athletes should rest assured that their rewards are close to being released by the Ministry. It’s no longer a matter of long wait.
“With the level of commitment shown to sports development by Governor Makinde, the promises cannot go unfulfilled. In no time, each athlete and coach will get their rewards.”
Sports
Rashford Doesn’t See Football The ‘Way I See It’, Says Amorim

Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim believes Marcus Rashford was unable to see football “the way I see it” before the unwanted England striker was shipped out of Old Trafford.
The 27-year-old Rashford fell dramatically out of favour with the Portuguese boss and spent seven weeks on the sidelines until he was loaned to Premier League rivals Aston Villa during the transfer window.
“I couldn’t put Marcus to see the way you’re supposed to play football and to train the way I see it,” Amorim said on Thursday.
“And sometimes you have one player that is really good with one coach, and the same player with another coach is different.
“I just wish the best to Rashford and to (Aston Villa coach) Unai Emery, and they can connect because he’s a very good player.”
Amorim, whose team face Leicester in the FA Cup fourth round on Friday, said his focus now is on turning around a wretched season.
“Guys, in the summer… like we said before, we are fighting for our jobs until the summer,” he said.
“So, I am just focused on these games. Thankfully about Marcus he is in Birmingham now with Unai, so you can take these questions to another coach. We are just focused on our players at the moment.”
Sports
Rashford: Nigerian Lawmaker, Oseni Slams Alleged ‘Conspiracy’ Against Man Utd Star

A Nigerian federal lawmaker, Hon. Aderemi Oseni, has publicly criticised what he describes as a “deliberate conspiracy” against Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford, calling for the club to treat the player with respect.
Oseni, a passionate football fan and supporter of Nigerian club Shooting Stars FC, Ibadan, and Manchester United, voiced his concerns through an official statement issued by his media aide, Idowu Ayodele, in Ibadan.
The lawmaker, who represents Ibarapa East/Ido Federal Constituency in Oyo State and serves as Chairman of the House Committee on the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA), accused United of undermining Rashford’s career. He suggested the club is intentionally frustrating the England international, who has been a key figure for the Red Devils since breaking into the first team in 2016.
A Deliberate Attempt to Tarnish Rashford’s Legacy

Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring for Manchester United against Everton(Image: Getty Images)
Oseni believes Manchester United’s handling of Rashford’s situation is unfair, arguing that the player is being pushed out for reasons beyond footballing performance.
“The posture of Manchester United towards Rashford is a deliberate attempt to rubbish the glory this young man has built over the years,” Oseni stated.
“If he has made any mistakes—whether due to youthful exuberance, personal struggles, or any other reason—it should be understood as part of life’s journey. Everyone experiences highs and lows, but instead of supporting him, they have chosen to humiliate him.”
Rashford, now 27, has been frozen out of the squad since mid-December, despite being the club’s 13th all-time highest goal scorer. Reports suggest new manager Rúben Amorim has questioned Rashford’s commitment and has deliberately excluded him, a move Oseni sees as unjust and damaging to the forward’s career.
The controversy escalated last Sunday when Amorim allegedly told his coaching staff that he would rather field United’s 63-year-old goalkeeping coach, Jorge Vital, than recall Rashford to the squad.
Oseni condemned the remark, calling it an unnecessary public humiliation of a player who has given his best years to the club.
Internal Politics and Envy Behind Rashford’s Exclusion
“It is evident that Rashford is being pushed out of the club, not because of poor performance, but due to envy and internal politics,” Oseni remarked.
“If they no longer want him, they should handle it professionally and help him secure a move to another club that will celebrate him, rather than destroying the young talent.”

Rúben Amorim
The lawmaker highlighted Rashford’s recent performances, noting that despite limited game time under Amorim, he still managed to score four goals in just three appearances before being frozen out. He argued that Rashford’s exclusion is based on personal differences rather than footballing merit.
“Rashford once said he was ready for a new challenge out of frustration. Anyone in his shoes would feel the same after facing such humiliation. Instead of supporting him, they are making things worse. But I strongly believe that all these provocations will eventually lead to his elevation,” Oseni added.
United Must Show Rashford Respect
The Nigerian politician urged Manchester United’s management to reconsider their approach, stressing that Rashford deserves respect for his years of dedication to the club.
“Even if he made an error by expressing a desire to leave, the situation should have been handled privately rather than publicly humiliating him,” Oseni said.
“The coach’s statement that he would rather play a 63-year-old goalkeeper than Rashford is not only disrespectful but also unnecessary provocation. Despite this, Rashford has shown remarkable patience, considering all he has contributed to the team during his prime.”
He concluded by urging the club to allow Rashford to move on professionally if they no longer see him as part of their plans.
“No matter the challenges he faces, they will ultimately lead to his elevation, and those attempting to bring him down will only contribute to his success in the long run.”
Sports
NANS Protests Appointment of Eric Sekou Chelle as Super Eagles Coach

Members of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) staged a protest on Thursday at the Moshood Abiola International Stadium, Abeokuta, opposing the appointment of Eric Sekou Chelle as the substantive coach of Nigeria’s Super Eagles.
Led by Abdul-Yekinn Odunayo, the Clerk of the Senate of NANS, the students condemned the decision of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), describing the appointment as a disappointment to Nigerians and football enthusiasts. They called for its immediate reversal, threatening to embark on a nationwide protest to press home their demands.
Addressing the gathering, Odunayo criticized the NFF’s decision, arguing it undermined the pool of coaching talent within Nigeria. He stressed that the Super Eagles deserve a tactically sound coach capable of harnessing the nation’s abundant football talent.
“We are gathered here today to address an issue that has not only baffled us but has also drawn widespread disapproval from Nigerian students and sports enthusiasts alike,” Odunayo stated.
“On behalf of the National Association of Nigerian Students, I, Abdul-Yekinn Odunayo, Clerk of the Senate of NANS National Headquarters, wish to categorically express our displeasure over the appointment of Eric Sekou Chelle as the new head coach of the Super Eagles.
“This appointment, as announced by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), is not only unacceptable but also a slap in the face of our nation’s abundant pool of local coaching talent. Consequently, NANS, as the voice of the Nigerian students, is compelled to organize a national protest to demand a reversal of this decision.”
The NFF had confirmed the appointment of Éric Sékou Chelle as the head coach of the Super Eagles on Tuesday. Chelle, who has previously managed clubs such as GS Consolat, FC Martigues, Boulogne, and MC Oran, was also head coach of Mali’s Aiglons until his dismissal in June 2024.
The NFF tasked Chelle with guiding the Super Eagles to secure a spot in the 2026 FIFA World Cup finals. With crucial qualification matches slated for March, his appointment is already generating controversy across the football-loving nation.
As the protests intensify, the NFF is yet to respond to the demands of NANS, leaving the future of the Super Eagles’ coaching leadership in uncertainty.
-
Politics1 week ago
Rep Oseni Congratulates Oyo APC Chairman, Others on Federal Board Appointments
-
Politics1 week ago
SDP North-West Disputes El-Rufai’s Membership Claim
-
News1 week ago
Eid-ul-Fitr: Oseni Urges Muslims to Uphold Ramadan Virtues, Calls for National Unity
-
News1 week ago
Olugbon, Olori Mourn Abisola Kola-Daisi, Commiserate with Ajimobi, Kola-Daisi Families