Connect with us

News

Libya on verge of civil war, threatening ‘permanent division’

Published

on

The damage done to Libya will already take “years to mend” but unless fighting around the capital Tripoli stops, the country risks “descending into a civil war which could lead to the permanent division of the country”.

That was the blunt assessment of UN Special Representative to Libya, Ghassan Salamé,  who also heads the UNSMIL Support Mission, briefing the Security Council on Tuesday, following weeks of intensifying conflict in and around the outskirts of Tripoli, instigated by the self-styled Libyan National Army forces of General Khalif Haftar who also leads a parallel administration based in the eastern city of Benghazi.

Mr. Salamé said grimly, that he had spent two years hoping to avoid having to deliver such a bleak in-person briefing to the Council, noting there were already 460 dead – 29 civilians – since the offensive began in early April. More than 2,400 have been injured, and 75,000 forced from their homes, the majority civilians, with half of the displaced women and children.

Violence began on the eve of an UN-backed National Conference planned to bring more than 150 representatives together from across the country, which had to be postponed. “There was great public excitement about what the conference could yield” said the top UN official, “in terms of a way forward to end Libya’s eight-year long period of transition” which threw him “into the deepest level of sadness for the opportunity lost”.

ALSO READ  NDLEA nabs 158 suspected drug dealers in Katsina

Tripoli violence could spark ‘long and bloody war’ across region

“I am no Cassandra” he added, referencing the mythical Greek figure who uttered prophesies which nobody believed, “but the violence on the outskirts of Tripoli is just the start of a long and bloody war…imperilling the security of Libya’s immediate neighbours and the wider Mediterranean”.

Mr. Salamé noted that in southern Libya, terrorist group Daesh, or ISIL, was flying its distinctive black flags, and reportedly had been responsible for four attacks, killing a total of 17, with more than 10 wounded, and eight others kidnapped, since Libya’s militias turned their guns on each other this year, not the common extremist threat.

“There are numerous reports of extremists, persons under international sanctions, and individuals wanted by the International Criminal Court appearing on the battlefield on all sides. All parties must publicly disassociate themselves from such elements without delay and refer to the ICC those for whom arrest warrants have been issued”, he said.

He bemoaned the flow of weapons back into the country noting “many countries” were providing arms to all sides. “Without a robust enforcement mechanism, the arms embargo into Libya will be come a cynical joke. Some nations are fuelling this bloody conflict; the United Nations should put an end to it”, he added.

Turning to the humanitarian needs he said health facilities were struggling to cope, with 11 ambulances “directly hit” by airstrikes, rockets and shelling. “I am appalled by the apparent disregard for the due protection of personnel engaging in vital medical tasks”, he noted, expressing deep concern for the rise in abductions, disappearances and arbitrary arrests in the past 6 weeks. He called on the Council’s “unequivocal support” in applying International Humanitarian Law.

ALSO READ  Atiku Counsels Youths On Mentoring

UN remains ‘alongside the Libyan people’

Mr. Salamé said despite scaling-down non-essential UN staff in Tripoli and Benghazi, “we remain in Libya alongside the Libyan people to deliver as best we can”, with over 42,000 receiving aid so far. He said through local democratic elections held since 30 March, the people were showing their stoical resolve too, saying it was “vital to keep the pilot light of democracy alive”, and appealed for Council support to “the municipal election process.”

“There is no military solution” he reiterated, “and it is high time for those who have harboured this illusion to open their eyes and adjust themselves to this reality. Libya’s mosaic of communities cannot be governed without alliances and relationships stretching across the whole country”. He said Libyans would need to adjust in light of the attempts to take Tripoli by force since 4 April.

“A better future is still possible, but we all must be seized with the fierce urgency of now, while the front lines remain on the outskirts of Tripoli, and before the battle moves, God forbid, to the capital’s more densely populated neighbourhoods. This will require concerted and immediate action by the international community”.

He concluded with a call for the Council to act immediately, in support of politics over any military solution. “Full civil war in Libya is not inevitable. It may occur by the will of some parties, and by the inaction of others. I hear Libyans resigning themselves to a conflict of many months or even many years. My duty, and

ALSO READ  UNHCR calls for action against xenophobic attacks in South Africa

that of this family of nations, is to tell them: ‘No. You need to stop the fighting and stop it now, for the sake of your loved ones, for the sake of your country, and for the sake of international peace and security.”

Comments

News

Ooni’s new prince: Palace disowns viral pictures, says traditional rites ongoing

Published

on

The Palace of  Ooni of Ife, on Monday informed the general public to disregard the two viral pictures in circulation misrepresenting the newly born heir to the ancient sacred throne of the Ooni who joined the Ogunwusi royal family recently.

Ooni’s Palace added that his   father, Arole Oduduwa , Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, the Ooni of Ife who has the sole right to make the face of the baby public is yet to do so, as essential traditional rites to formally welcome the Prince in accordance to culture and traditions are still ongoing.

The Palace in a statement signed by its Director, Media & Public Affairs, Comrade Moses Olafare, unequivocally stated that the pictures are not that of  the Prince,  urging the public to ignore the social media circulation of the pictures capable of threatening the privacy of the babies in those pictures and their parents.

Olafare further urged Journalists and bloggers to always verify sources of news materials and pictures before publishing or posting so as to avoid ‘Invasion of Privacy’ which he said  is an actionable offense punishable by law.

He added that child and mother are  doing perfectly well as the palace remains agog with daily jubilations and congratulatory visits.

ALSO READ  NIGERIA: Governors Arrive Abuja For NGF Meeting

 

Continue Reading

News

We will remain bullish in our approach to developing Oyo – Makinde

Published

on

By

Oyo State Governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, on Monday, presented the 2021 Appropriation Bill to members of the Oyo State House of Assembly, declaring that his government will remain bullish in its determination to develop the state.

Governor Makinde, who stated that though the government was able to grow the state’s Internally-Generated Revenue (IGR) geometrically in the last one year, recording a 26.4 percent year-on-year increase in IGR, it will not rest on its oars in its drive to take the state off its total dependence on federal allocation.

The governor added that his administration plans to increase the state’s IGR to N102,824,207,213.46 in the year 2021 up from the current N25.6 billion.

According to him, the state hopes to achieve that feat by widening the tax net, bringing more tax payers into the system without necessarily increasing taxes on the people.

A statement by Mr. Taiwo Adisa, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Makinde, indicated that the governor stated these at the House of Assembly Complex, Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan, where he presented the 2021 Budget Proposal to members of the Assembly.

The governor appreciated the members of the House of Assembly for their cooperation over the past months, saying the successes recorded so far were due to their continuous support of the government’s fiscal policies, which have led to an impactful implementation of the Roadmap for Accelerated Development of Oyo State 2019-2023.

The governor added that his administration was able to make significant progress in the actualisation of its plans for the state in the last one year, saying: “We have been able to lower our infrastructural deficit, make improvements in healthcare delivery, improve the quality of education and achieve milestones in our security systems.

“We remained bullish in our approach to developing Oyo State. Let me share one of our biggest wins in the last year. You will recall that in my 2020 budget presentation, I had stated that from January 2020, we will be recording a monthly Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of three billion Naira. I am happy to report to you that despite the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the economy, we were just less than two hundred million Naira shy of our target monthly. As at September 2020, we had recorded an IGR of 25.6billion Naira. And using the half-year figures, that represented a 26.4 percent increase in IGR year on year.

ALSO READ  Police arrest dismissed cop declared wanted for Offa robbery

“Permit me to share some of our other wins from the 2020 fiscal year. You may recall, Mr. Speaker Sir, that one of the issues I highlighted that has been facing our state’s budget is underperformance. By the end of quarter one, (Q1), 2019 budget performance was 38 percent. We were determined to increase this and had set a mark of 70 percent performance. Honourable Members of the House, although we have not yet met up with our target, our budget performance as at now is above average at 50.32 percent. We accomplished this despite the economic shock induced by the pandemic.

“Let me quickly state that our use of the Alternative Project Funding Approach (APFA), the Contractor’s Project Financing Scheme, as well as targeted loans, have gone a long way to helping us to improve our budget performance.

“This year, we are again pegging our budget performance goal at 70 percent. Since we have been able to increase by 12 per cent points in performance over 2019 thus far, despite the economic challenges we faced, an additional 20 percent points increase should be attainable.”

Governor Makinde explained that the recurrent expenditure in the 2021 Budget Proposal stands at N136,262,990,009.41, while the capital expenditure is N130,381,283,295.63, saying that the larger share of N56.3 Billion or 21 per cent has been earmarked to the education sector, because his administration considers education as the only way out of poverty.

He added that the agriculture sector will receive an allocation of N9.5 billion, which is about 3.6 percent of the Budget proposal, stating that his administration’s plan to grow the state’s economy through agribusiness remains well on course.

The governor highlighted how the administration, in the last one year, began a massive turnaround of the agriculture sector, with partnership agreement with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on the Start Them Early Programme in agribusiness and the ongoing upgrade of the former OYSADEP Headquarters, Saki, now rechristened the Oyo State Agribusiness Development Agency (OYSADA), among others, to drive the focus on agriculture.

ALSO READ  UI @70: Abike Dabiri warns youths against illegal migration

The governor also said that the sum of N13.2 Billion was earmarked to the health sector, adding that the administration recorded tremendous achievements in the sector by turning the COVID-19 pandemic to an opportunity for aggressive turnaround of health facilities.

According to the governor, the government would go ahead with the revolution in the health sector with its plan to upgrade one Primary Health Care Centre across the 351 electoral Wards of the state, among other key efforts that will ensure the consummation of the works already started in reforming the health sector.

He said: “Mr. Speaker Sir, Distinguished Members of the Oyo State House of Assembly, please permit me, at this point, to present to you the Oyo State 2021 Budget Proposal. The total budgeted sum is Two Hundred and Sixty-Six Billion, Six Hundred and Forty-Four Million, Two Hundred and Seventy-Three Thousand, Three Hundred and Five Naira, Four kobo (₦266,644,273,305.04). This sum represents a 53.16 percent increase over the 2020 revised budget. Let me emphasise that the tenets of the Federation’s Fiscal Sustainability Plan (FSP) and other development aspirations were used as a guide in the preparation of the 2021 Budget.

“Mr. Speaker Sir, I must also mention that we have been able to resolve some of the issues around moribund industries in Oyo State. As you are aware, these have been a source of worry to members of this assembly and indeed the entire people of Oyo State. We have been able to put back in business state enterprises that have been laying waste for decades.

Among these moribund industries are the Pacesetter Quarry and Asphalt Plant, Ijaiye; the Pacesetter Fruit Processing Plant in Oko; and the Agbowo Shopping Complex in Ibadan.

“It will also please you to know that we have commenced the preparation of the Twenty-Year Oyo State Development Plan (2021-2040). Oyo State has never had such an overarching blueprint. The plan, when completed, will facilitate a speedy socio-economic development with the Medium-Term Sector Strategy and Medium-Term Expenditure Framework.

“It has, once again, been my honour to present this budget proposal to you, Mr. Speaker Sir and Distinguished Honourable Members of the House. It is my prayer that you give our proposal the usual consideration in a timely manner so that implementation may commence; and Oyo State will continue on the path to accelerated development.”

ALSO READ  Dangote Cement: Makoju bows out after 45 years in industry

In his speech, the Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Ogundoyin described the 2021 Budget as pragmatic and realistic, commending the governor for ensuring the timely presentation of Appropriation and Finance Bills to the House.

This was as members of the House of Assembly, including the Deputy Speaker, Honourable Mohammed Abiodun Fadeyi; Majority and Minority Leaders, Hon. Sanjo Adedoyin and Hon. Asimiyu Alarape, respectively, as well as Hon. Wumi Oladeji severally commended the governor for different reasons bothering on good performance.

While speaking, the Speaker equally lauded the governor for the steps being taken to rebuild the state and place it on the pedestal of socio-economic growth and development, saying: “It is commendable that in the recent history of governance in Oyo State, the present administration, ably led by our diligent and highly energetic Governor, Engr Seyi Makinde has ensured that Appropriation and Finance Bills are timely presented before the House.

“This is particularly praiseworthy as it enhances the proper and meticulous monitoring and evaluation of Budget performance and prevents wasteful spending and improper execution of Government programs and projects.

“Let me assure that, as a House, we are always ready to perform our constitutional duty of law-making in particular and to also ensure that the Executive arm of Government encounters no legal impediment in the performance of its functions for the overall welfare and wellbeing of the State and its residents.”

Continue Reading

News

‘Why unions are fighting me’, UI VC reveals

Published

on

By

Outgoing University of Ibadan Vice Chancellor, Prof.  Idowu Olayinka has provided insights into the face off between his administration and the unions on campus, saying the unions do not hate him as a person, but because the economic situation in the country is too harsh.

Speaking at the ground-breaking ceremony of the Bovas and Company Limited at the second gate of the University of Ibadan, Ajibode junction where the oil company plans to open a station, the outgoing VC stressed that with the poor economy in the country, everyone was tensed up, adding, “workers are agitating, students are impatient if we fail to pay for Internet”

According to him, “these unions that are agitating do not hate me because I am ugly. I am not ugly. At least my wife told me that I am handsome. But the real reason why these unionists are shouting my name everywhere is because of the paucity of fund in the system. There is no money. Federal government does not allow us to charge appropriate school fees, yet the money coming from the federal government is like a drop in the ocean.

“Currently, UI is owning Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company N49million. We don’t have that money. We have to plead with the electricity company to give us time. If they disconnect us now, pressmen will go to town with screaming headlines that UI is bankrupt. We should please appeal to the unions to see reasons with us. The money is not just there”.

ALSO READ  36 million children in Ethiopia are poor, lack access to basic social services - New report reveals

The VC continued, “we are one family in UI. I know that the unions don’t hate me. The major problem is nothing but money. Money is the problem causing the sleepless nights. But I believe with time, this hard time shall pass away ”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: