Metro
‘Failed’ coup attempt reported in Sudan

A coup attempt in Sudan “failed” early Tuesday, state media reported, as the country grapples with a fragile transition since the 2019 ouster of longtime President Omar al-Bashir.
Top military and government sources told AFP that the attempt involved a group of officers who were “immediately suspended” after they “failed” to take over the state media building.
“There has been a failed coup attempt, the people should confront it,” state television said, without elaborating.
A senior member of Sudan’s ruling body, Taher Abuhaja, said, “an attempt to seize power has been thwarted.”
Another senior ruling body member, Mohamed al-Fekki said: “Everything is under control and the revolution is victorious.”
Traffic appeared to be flowing smoothly in central Khartoum, AFP correspondents reported, including around army headquarters, where protesters staged a mass sit-in that eventually led to Bashir’s ouster in a palace coup.
Security forces did however close the main bridge across the Nile connecting Khartoum to its twin city Omdurman.
Two Years Under Transition
Sudan is currently ruled by a transitional government composed of both civilian and military representatives that was installed in the aftermath of Bashir’s April 2019 overthrow and is tasked with overseeing a return to full civilian rule.
The August 2019 power-sharing deal originally provided for the formation of a legislative assembly during a three-year transition, but that period was reset when Sudan signed a peace deal with an alliance of rebel groups last October.
More than two years later, the country remains plagued by chronic economic problems inherited from the Bashir regime as well as deep divisions among the various factions steering the transition.
The promised legislative assembly has yet to materialise.
The government, led by Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, has vowed to fix the country’s battered economy and forge peace with rebel groups who fought the Bashir regime.
In recent months, his government has undertaken a series of tough economic reforms to qualify for debt relief from the International Monetary Fund.
The steps, which included slashing subsidies and a managed float of the Sudanese pound, were seen by many Sudanese as too harsh.
Sporadic protests have broken out against the IMF-backed reforms and the rising cost of living, as well as delays to deliver justice to the families of those killed under Bashir.
On Monday, demonstrators blocked key roads as well as the country’s key trade hub, Port Sudan, to protest the peace deal signed with rebel groups last year.
Metro
Tragedy at Gombe Eid Ground: Two Children Dead in Stampede

A stampede at the Gombe main Eid prayer ground on Sunday claimed the lives of two young children, identified as Aisha Salisu Ahmed (4½ years old) and Maryam Abdullahi Gwani (4 years old).
The tragic incident reportedly occurred when a large crowd, mainly women and children, rushed to exit the prayer venue, causing chaos and trampling. Several others sustained varying degrees of injuries.
Reacting to the unfortunate event, Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Yahaya, expressed his condolences to the bereaved families in a statement signed by the Director-General of Press Affairs, Government House, Ismaila Uba Misilli.
“We grieve with their families during this difficult time, and our hearts are with them as they mourn the loss of their beloved children,” the governor stated.
Governor Yahaya has ordered a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the stampede to prevent future occurrences.
“The safety and well-being of our citizens remain a top priority,” he said, assuring that the government would learn from the tragedy and implement corrective measures.
In response to the crisis, the governor dispatched a high-powered delegation, led by the Chief of Staff of Government House, Alhaji Abubakar Inuwa Kari, to visit medical facilities treating the injured.
The delegation toured Zainab Bulkachuwa Hospital, Specialist Hospital, and the Federal Teaching Hospital Gombe, where most patients were reported to be in stable condition. Doctors assured that many had already been treated and discharged, while others were expected to recover soon.
To support the victims and their families, Governor Yahaya has directed that all medical expenses be fully covered by the state government, ensuring proper care and easing the financial burden on parents.
Metro
Police Inspector Opens Fire in Calabar, Killing One, Injuring Two

A police inspector, Effiong Bassey, has shot three people in Calabar, the Cross River State capital, leaving one dead and two others injured.
The Cross River State Police Command confirmed the incident in a statement on Sunday, describing it as tragic.
According to the Command’s spokesperson, Ugbo Irene, the shooting occurred in the early hours of Sunday at the Divisional Police Headquarters in Atakpa, Calabar.
She explained that Inspector Bassey had returned from his night duty at Ekondo Microfinance Bank when he began exhibiting abnormal behaviour.
“Inspector Bassey refused to hand over the AK-47 rifle he was assigned and instead proceeded to block the station’s gate, preventing anyone from entering or leaving the premises. Despite attempts at peaceful dialogue to resolve the situation, the officer’s actions escalated,” the statement read.
Tactical Units and patrol teams were then deployed to the scene. However, Bassey, suspected to be mentally unstable, opened fire on bystanders who had been instructed to leave the area.
“Tragically, three individuals were struck by the officer’s stray bullets, including Ijeoma Wilson Obot, a 41-year-old female, who later succumbed to her injuries. The other two victims, Charles Mkpang and another individual, are currently receiving medical treatment and are in stable condition,” the police said.
The officer was eventually subdued, disarmed, and taken into custody. He is now undergoing further investigation.
Concerned by the incident, the Assistant Inspector General of Police, Zone 6 Headquarters, Calabar, along with the Cross River State Command Management Team, visited the hospital where the victims were receiving treatment. The AIG also made a donation to support their immediate care.
The Command assured residents that it was working with key stakeholders to prevent any escalation of tension in the community.
It further urged the victims’ families and the public to remain calm, pledging a thorough investigation into the incident.
“The Cross River State Police Command is committed to ensuring that justice, fairness, and equity prevail, and the outcome of the investigation will be made public in due course.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased and wish the injured a speedy recovery,” the statement added.
Metro
Police Inspector Dies from Self-Inflicted Gunshot in Ogun

The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed the tragic death of a police inspector, Ajele Oloyede, who passed away while on special duty at Goodwill Ceramic Company in Igbesa, Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Omolola Odutola, made this known in a statement, revealing that an investigation has been launched into the circumstances surrounding the incident. Oloyede was attached to the 78 PMF in Zamfara State.
According to the preliminary report, the incident occurred on 14 March 2025 at approximately 13:20 hours. Tolorunloju Stephen, an officer attached to the Force Headquarters Annex in Lagos, who was also on special duty at the company, recounted that he had just returned from Ikeja when he entered the security office and found Inspector Oloyede resting his head on a table.
“After exchanging pleasantries and briefly inquiring about his well-being, Oloyede responded positively,” Odutola stated.
However, moments later, as Stephen proceeded to the restroom, he heard a gunshot. Rushing back, he found Inspector Oloyede lying in a pool of blood.
“With the assistance of a private security personnel, the injured officer was immediately rushed to Ota General Hospital, where he was confirmed dead by the attending doctor,” Odutola added.
She further disclosed that the firearm used in the incident has been recovered, and the deceased officer’s body has been deposited at the hospital for an autopsy.
Reacting to the development, the state Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, described the news as shocking and has ordered a full-scale investigation into the incident to determine the circumstances surrounding it, including the possibility of foul play or mental health factors.
“The police were swift in contacting the deceased officer’s family, and the case will be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Eleweran, for discreet investigation,” the statement read.
The Ogun State Police Command expressed its deepest condolences to the family, colleagues, and loved ones of Inspector Oloyede, assuring that all necessary support will be provided during this difficult time.
-
News1 week ago
Rep. Oseni Condoles Late Gov. Ajimobi, Kola-Daisi Families Over Bisola’s Passing
-
News1 week ago
Alleged KGB Infiltration: Police in Dilemma as Senator Natasha Abandons Petition, Snubs Summons
-
News5 days ago
Eid-ul-Fitr: Oseni Urges Muslims to Uphold Ramadan Virtues, Calls for National Unity
-
News7 days ago
Olugbon, Olori Mourn Abisola Kola-Daisi, Commiserate with Ajimobi, Kola-Daisi Families