Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state has sacked the Commissioner of Health, Dr Salihu Kwayabura.
The governor, also directed his Chief of Staff, Isa Hussani Marte, a Professor of Pharmacology, to oversee the state’s ministry of health pending the appointment of a substantive commissioner.
Though, in recent times, there have been hints of a possible cabinet reshuffling by Governor Zulum.
Special Adviser to the Governor on Public Relations and Strategy, Isa Gusau disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday.
According to the statement, no reason was given for the governor’s action.
It said, “Governor Zulum’s directive is part of necessary measures to reposition the ministry.”
Zulum thanked Kwayabura for contributions to the development of Borno’s public health sector in nearly two years of the current administration, and the years he had served under the previous administration.
Kwayabura had served in the same capacity in the previous government, a position he retained when Zulum’s government came on board.
As the health commissioner, he was the secretary of Borno Committee on the prevention and spread of COVID-19, a position he now must automatically forfeit.
Imo: Gov. Uzodinma makes case for FCC, sponsors 4-day retreat
Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodinma has canvassed for the strengthening of the laws establishing the Federal Character Commission (FCC) to enable it perform its functions effectively.
Governor Uzodinma registered his position at a banquet the Imo state government hosted in honoured of the Executive Chairman and Commissioners of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) who were in the State for a retreat last week at the Government House, Owerri.
According to the Governor, the philosophy behind the establishment of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) was well thought out development, adding that to a great extent the Commission has assisted in efforts made at the unification of the country.
He noted that at this very trying moment of the country, the Commission needed to bring its functions to play to douse the tention giving assurance to the citizenry of a sense of belonging.
Senator Uzodinma stressed that it was in recognition of the great role of the Commission that the Imo State government opted to sponsor the retreat.
He admonished members to work together in harmony to enable the Commission deliver on its mandate.
In her remarks, the Executive Chairman, Federal Character Commission (FCC), Dr Muheeba Dankaka thanked the Governor and Imo State government for accepting to host the retreat. She said the out come of the retreat will go a long way in assisting the Commission in its assignment.
The FCC boss, however called on state governors to also come to the aid of the Commission, particularly by assisting the State offices to function effectively.
Oyo: Kidnapped UI student regains freedom
Victim of Monday’s kidnap attack at a poultry farm in Oke Odan, Apete area of Ibadan, Oyo capital, Emmanuel Odetunde has been released.
It will be recalled that Odetunde was abducted around 5 pm on Monday while working at his father’s poultry. The abductors also demanded a ransom of N100m for his release.
Mega Icon Magazine, however learnt that the victim , a student of the University of Ibadan (UI) was released at 7:15pm Thursday .
In a tweet obtained by our reporter, via his Twitter handle @dr_emmay thanked friends, family and well wishers for their prayers.
He also did not disclosed whether any ransom was paid or not.
“I was released at 7:15pm today. I am currently with my family.
“Thanks for the prayers. I appreciate @, Odetunde tweeted.
Insecurity: Bandits kill 18 in Kaduna communities
No fewer than 18 people in Giwa, Chikun and Igabi local government areas of Kaduna State have been reportedly killed by Bandits .
The state’s Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the ugly incident in a statement on Wednesday.
The three Local Government Areas, as learnt have been under incessant attacks by bandits in recent time.
Aruwan, in the statement, explained that the bandits attacked Anaba village in Igabi local government area and killed seven people. He gave their names as Ali Musa, Isa Sharehu, Tijjani Isa, Auwalu Shehu, Hashim Abdullahi, Hassan Saidu and Umar Rilwanu.
According to him, many of the houses in the community were also burnt down by the bandits along with storehouses and barns, while they also rustled 20 cows during the operation.
The bandits, also attacked Barinje village in Chikun local government area killing eight persons, which included Sunday Gwamna, Lawal Jizo, Salha Barau, Sabo Barau, Umaru Barau, Muhammadu Dan Azumi, Zailani Dogara and Jikan Gambo.
The statement added that some residents of the village were also abducted, and cattle rustled during the attack, while an unspecified number of injured victims are currently receiving treatment in hospitals.
The armed bandits, in another operation, attacked the loosely connected communities of Kwarten Rigasa, Kwarten Waziri and Kwarten Shaku in Igabi local government area.
The bandits reportedly emerged from the Buruku area, and raided the villages in a cattle rustling operation and In the process, killed one Danjuma Isa from neighboring Ungwan Kanti village as he made his way on foot to Kwarten Rigasa.
Similarly, armed bandits invaded Sanhu Makera village in Birnin Yero of Igabi local government area and killed one Yakubu Abdullahi, a farmer in the village, while
another person was killed by unknown assailants in unusual circumstances, at the Ministerial Pilot Housing Estate, Millennium City in Chikun local government area.
According to Aruwan, the attacks on soft targets at Anaba and Barinje villages in Igabi and Chikun LGAs respectively, followed the killing of several armed bandits through targeted air operations.
He disclosed that Air platforms had earlier conducted armed reconnaissance around Anaba village during which the crew observed houses on fire and locals migrating to nearby settlements.
He explains further that many bandits on motorcycles were neutralised by troops at Kankomi village and neighbouring communities as well as
Kuyanbana forest while many of them escaped with bullet wound.
The security agencies however appeal to the communities to report anyone found with suspicious bullet wounds to the Security Operations Room.
Governor Nasir El-Rufai has expressed sadness over the incidents and has sent his condolences to the families of all those killed in the attacks, while offering prayers for the repose of their souls. He also wishes the injured a quick recovery.
Tweets by @megaiconmagg
Subscribe to our Newsletter
MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page
Education1 week ago
LAUTECH workers’ Union absolves VC of allegations of incitement
Crime & Court7 days ago
LAUTECH student gets 6 month Jail term over $1,200 USD love scam
Politics1 week ago
Makinde’s planned Lg poll, theatre of the absurd – Oyo APC
Entertainment7 days ago
Banky W, wife announce delivery of baby boy