Connect with us

Education

ASUU leaders walk out of meeting with Fg

Published

on

EFFORTS made by the federal government to end the ongoing industrial action by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has again suffered another setback on Monday as it failed to reach an agreement with the leaders of the union.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, presided over a resumed negotiation with the striking university lecturers at the ministry in Abuja.

Surprisingly, unlike previous meetings which ended inconclusively, ASUU National President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, led other leaders of the union out of the meeting.

Professor Ogunyemi, also refused to speak to reporters about why the union leaders walked out of the meeting which lasted about two hours.

The minister, had earlier assured the ASUU leaders that attention would be paid to three critical demands which included salary shortfalls, university revitalization, and earned allowances of ASUU members.

But, with the recent development, academic activities will remain grounded in concerned universities across the country after the ASUU president said earlier that the union would wait until today before taking a decision on whether or not to suspend the industrial action.

ALSO READ  Oyo, Osun Joint Ownership Of LAUTECH Remain Inseparable, Oyetola Declares
Continue Reading
Comments

Education

Oyo NANS Congratulates Sangodoyin Over Appointment, Charges Him To Hit The Ground Running

Published

on

By

The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Oyo State has congratulated Prof. Daud Sangodoyin on his inauguration as the State Commissioner for Education  by Governor Seyi Makinde.

The congratulatory message was issued on Saturday in Ibadan, the state capital by its Chairman, Comrade Asubiojo, Olujuwon (Marshal).

The message  reads, “We have no doubt that with his rich educational background, qualification, vast experience and proven leadership acumen, Prof. Sangodoyin  will effectively handle the education ministry to reflect the educational yearnings and aspirations of this administration as said by His Excellency, Engr. Seyi Makinde and the National Policy on Education.

“We strongly desire that he hit the ground running by attending speedily to issues impeding the growth of education in the Pace setter state”.

“As NANS, Oyo state look forward to working closely with the ministry to further strengthen the education sector. We seize this medium to thank His Excellency, Engr. Seyi Makinde for approving bursary for Oyo Law School students and appeal that this kind gesture be extended to other students in the state”, the message continued.

 

 

ALSO READ  Osinbajo: I’m Not Leading Negotiations with ASUU
Continue Reading

Education

Back to School for 272,847 Oyo children through ‘BESDA’ Scheme

Published

on

By

The Executive Chairman, Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board,(SUBEB), Dr. Nureni Adeniran, has assured that the implementation of the World Bank supported “Better Education Service Delivery for All” (BESDA) scheme will see 272,847 out of school children in the state get a free education.

The SUBEB boss gave this assurance at the Opening ceremony of the interactive session with stakeholders on implementation of BESDA Scheme held at the House of Chiefs, Secretariat, Ibadan, the state capital on Friday.

Adeniran, also promised that the state would work in line with the standard blueprint in executing the programme, assuring that by next session there would be a reduction in out of school children in Oyo State.

He  noted that as contained in a sample by the Nigerian Education Data Survey (NEDS) 2015, Oyo State has been observed to have the total of 272,847 Out of School Children marooning the street and constituting nuisance in the state.

The five-year  “Better Education Service Delivery for All” (BESDA) scheme is a short term initiative set to run between 2017 – 2022 and saddled with the responsibility of improving literacy level and increasing equitable access to Out of School children to go back to school.

According to the SUBEB Chair, Oyo state was  the only Southwest state benefitting from the five-year BESDA programme.

ALSO READ  Oyo: Over 700,000 PVCs not yet collected – INEC

“Oyo state is well prepared and you can see the huge turnout of our various stakeholders.

“There is a technical work plan that will be used and we’ll create awareness on the importance of schooling in deriving adequate security and a crime free state.”

He further lauded  Governor  Seyi Makinde for his support towards improving education in the Pacesetter state.

Also speaking at the event, the National Coordinator of BESDA scheme, Prof. Gidado Tahir  noted  that Oyo state has the best infrastructure and commitment in deriving the goal of the Better Education Service Delivery for All (BESDA).

Professor Tahiru explained that the programme was aimed at drastically reducing the rate of out of school children across the country while noting that Oyo State was among seventeen states that had benefitted from the programme.

“This is a programme that is designed specifically for all children who are not in school for the purpose that they are given education, particularly literacy.

“Let us see that we clear the less than 300,000 children on the streets before the mid-term. Let’s commit ourselves to see that this is done”, he added.

Also,  the state Commissioner for Education, Prof. Daud Sangodoyin declared that  education is a compulsory right of every Nigerian irrespective of gender, social status, religion, ethnic background and peculiar individual challenges.

ALSO READ  Asuu Strike: Time for FG and Union to reach consensus and resume lectures

The commissioner, who was represented by the Director of Planning, Research and Statistics of the Ministry, Mrs. Aminat Atere lauded  the World Bank assisted programme, stressing that the state government is committed to providing quality education to all its citizenry.

 

Continue Reading

Education

More than 4million Nigerians participated in NYSC scheme since inception – DG

Published

on

By

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has disclosed that since 1973, inception of the scheme,  4,644,804 Nigerians have participated so far.

NYSC, also vowed to prosecute any corp member that presents fake results or certificate for enrolment into the scheme.

Its Director-General, Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim disclosed this on Thursday during a media briefing in Abuja.

The DG,  who lamented over the rising spate of fake corps members, also threatened to blacklist any institution that engages in the presentation of unqualified persons for mobilisation into the scheme.

He lauded the use of innovation in fishing out those with fake results and certificates.

“The deployment of ICT solutions in the NYSC formulation process and existing collaboration with WAEC and JAMB have enhanced the integrity of the process and reduced the incidents of fake corps members.

“However, this is threatened by the presentation of unqualified persons for mobilisation by some corrupt institutions for mobilisation into the scheme.

“We have discovered in recent times that unscrupulous individuals now present fake results sourced mostly from foreign institutions, particularly in West Africa for mobilisation into the scheme.

“Let me repeat our warning that anybody who presents fake certificate in any attempt to get mobilised for service will be handed over to security agencies for prosecution,” he said.

ALSO READ  Reply to LAUTECH ASUU: University Accounts And Forensic Audit: Setting The Records Straight.

Ibrahim declared that anybody involved in the presentation of fake results and certificates for enrolment into the scheme will face a minimum of two years jail term.

He added that one of the major objectives of the scheme is to instil discipline in Nigerian youths.

 

 

Continue Reading

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

MEGAICON TV

Trending