Connect with us

News

Appeal Court verdict: Afenifere warns against anarchy in Oyo

Published

on

The Pan-Yoruba Socio-Political Organisation, Afenifere, on Tuesday warned against any situation that could foist anarchy on Oyo State in respect of the ruling of the Court of Appeal on the Governorship election in Oyo State.

Afenifere, in a communique made public after its meeting in Akure, Ondo state, condemned what it called “jurisprudential anarchy” daily unfolding in the country.

The communique, signed by Afenifere’s National Publicity Secretary, Yinka Odumakin indicated that Afenifere at its meeting reviewed the ruling of the Court of Appeal on the Governorship election in Oyo state and resolved to warn against anarchy in a state that has history behind it.

The communique read: “Meeting reviewed the recent ruling of the Appeal Court on Oyo Gubernatorial Polls and was at a loss as to the jurisprudential anarchy daily unfolding in our judicial system.

“That one decision of court confused even the media for the next 48 hours is a challenge to our judiciary to always try and make itself clear to the ordinary people.

“It is our hope that the Supreme Court to which the parties have now headed will resolve the matter in the interest of justice and the integrity of the justice system.

“We do not want any upheaval in the city that has history behind it.”

ALSO READ  Oyo: Makinde Makes U-turn, Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage

The Afenifere also saluted the oldest privately-owned newspaper in Nigeria, Tribune newspapers for clocking 70 years on the newsstands.

Afenifere said: “That the newspaper has survived 70 years in a country whose graveyard has a section for failed publications is a testimony to its foundation of truth and integrity.

“We pray for continued survival of the paper without departure from the dreams of its founder.”

Afenifere also condemned what it called the third term agenda brewing in Abuja, the nation’s capital, adding that the idea should be perished immediately.

It said: “Meeting took serious note of the rumoured plans to subvert the Constitution of Nigeria to allow  President Buhari to have a third term in office which started with a an APC Senatorial Candidate in Bauchi last year during ac bye-electiion declaring that he was coming to the Senate to work for a third term term for Buhari.

This was followed by the President who has a maximum of possible 8 years in office telling the country he was going to lift 100million Nigerians out of poverty in TEN years.

To douse the tension the rumoured plot is generating the President made a denial a few days ago which  we took with a pinch of salt because it is not the first time politicians would pursue what they are denying in Nigeria swearing with Allah/God.

ALSO READ  Oyo PDP Governorship Candidate, Makinde Wins Opinion Polls

We have not forgotten that General Buhari told this country in 2011 that he would do only one term if he became President. He is now on a second term. He also promised Nigerians in 2015 that he would not have the office of the first Lady as President. He was mute when the wife issued an order that she must be addressed as First Lady and he has gone ahead to appoint 6 aides for the office.

Meeting also observed that the reason given for the President for not thinking of a third is the Constitutional limit of two terms without talking about what he would do if that hindrance was removed.

With the National Assembly in the pocket, the only hurdle left to change that provision would be two-thirds of Houses of Assembly and we have seen the President holding a meeting of 36 Speakers.

And shortly after this meeting, an APC member in Eboyi State has approached a Federal High Court to compel the National Assembly to remove the constitutional impediments against third term for President and Governors.
“We have seen this fire before for this smoke not to be strange to us. Afenifere therefore calls on Nigerians to be vigilant and thwart any attempt to take the country for a ride once again.”

ALSO READ  Oyo Governor, Ajimobi reactivates Operation Burst.

Comments

News

Oyo NUJ mourns as another former union Chairman, Bode Oyewole dies

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Oyo State Council has mourned the passing of another former Chairman of the union, Elder Bode Oyewole.

Oyewole was Chairman of the NUJ between 1978 to 1980.

He was later Chairman of the Oluyole warriors, Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) of Ibadan.

Oyewole recently spoke with the incumbent, Ademola Babalola on July 3rd, 2020 following the news of the demise of one of his sucessors in office, Joe Abiola (a.k.a. Atumah).

Abiola, who also died about three weeks ago, took over from Oyewole and was NUJ Chairman for two terms, spanning between 1981 to 1985.

Oyewole had assured Babalola through phone call that he would grace the burial of Abiola and especially tributes being planned in honour of the deceased by NUJ. It comes up this Thursday at 2pm in Iyaganku press centre.

Lamenting the death of the erstwhile union leader, Babalola in a statement signed by the Secretary of NUJ, Comrade Sola Oladapo, on Tuesdaydescribed Oyewole’s passing as “shocking, devastating, unexpected, sad and one that caught the Union unawares”, because of the outstanding career of the erstwhile Chairman.

Oladapo said the news came when the executive was planning a special programme in honour of Abiola, saying, “the news of his demise came at a time when his wise counsel, experience and charismatic attributes as a father figure in NUJ and the society in general are much needed.”

ALSO READ  Lassa fever: 3 more test positive at LUTH, 150 under watch

The NUJ prays God to forgive Oyewole popularly called Uncle B.O, and grant him eternal rest.

It condole the family especially the wife, Mrs. Bose Oyewole, the children and the veteran journalists in the State and pray God to give them the fortitude to bear his irreplaceable loss.

 

Continue Reading

News

CBN to ban importation of maize

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s apex bank, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has directed all authorized dealers to discontinue the processing of Form M for the importation of maize with immediate effect.

The CBN gave this directive in a circular signed by its Director of Trade and Exchange Department, Dr Ozoemena Nnaji in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

Form M, as reliably gatherer, is a mandatory statutory document to be completed by all importers for importation of goods into the country.

The bank directed all authorised dealers to submit the list of form M already registered for the importation of maize.

The apex bank, however enjoined the dealers concerned to do so on or before close of business on Wednesday.

It explained that the step was part of CBN’s efforts to increase local production and stimulate a rapid economic recovery.

The bank noted that the measure was to also safeguard rural livelihood and increase job which had been lost due to ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

ALSO READ  Ajimobi commiserates with ex-Osun governor, Akande over wife’s death.
Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Army redeploys 37 generals, others

Published

on

By

The Nigerian Army on Tuesday disclosed that it has approved new postings and appointments of 37 generals and five colonels to different formations and units across the country.

The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Sagir Musa, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

Musa, in the statement explained that the postings which were approved by the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, are a routine exercise intended to reinvigorate the system for greater professional effectiveness and efficiency.

While wishing all the officers well in their respective appointments, the Chief of Army Staff said that all the postings and appointments take effect from July 20, 2020

According to the statement, Maj. Gen. L. Irabor has been redeployed from Defence Headquarters, Department of Training and Operations to Training and Doctrine Command, Minna, while Maj. Gen. F. Agugo was moved from 6 Division NA Port Harcourt to Headquarters, NA Signal Corps, Apapa, Lagos as Corps Commander Signals.

Also, Maj. Gen. M Mohammed was transferred from Headquarters, NA Signal Corps Apapa, Lagos to Office of the COAS and appointed Special Adviser, NA University, Biu, Borno State, while Maj. Gen. A. Dikko of Administrative Staff College of Nigeria, Badagry, was moved to NA Training Centre, Kontagora.

ALSO READ  COVID-19: Tegbe Foundation distributes relief materials in Oyo

The redeployments, as contained in the statement also affected Maj. Gen. U. Yakubu who was moved from NA Corps of Artillery Kontagora to Army Headquarters, Abuja.

Chief of Administration, Maj. Gen. B. Sawyer was also moved from AHQ Department of Policy and Plans to NA Armour School Bauchi.

In a related development, this equally led to the transfer of Maj. Gen. I. Uzamere from NA College of Logistics, Lagos, to AHQ Abuja, Department of Logistics as Chief of Logistics (Army).

Others are Col. B. Sarki from Defence Intelligence College to 6 Military Intelligence Brigade as acting Commander; Col. K. Ogunsoya from DHQ to Headquarters, Directorate of Army Public Relations; Chief of Staff, Col. T. Antigha from Headquarters, Multinational Joint Task Force, Ndjamena, to Defence Headquarters as acting Executive Director, Armed Forces Radio.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Tweets by ‎@megaiconmagg

Subscribe to our Newsletter

* indicates required

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Trending

%d bloggers like this: