Connect with us

Crime & Court

Ajimobi Vows to Prosecute Perpetrators of Bodija Crisis

Published

on

OYO state governor, Sen Abiola Ajimobi on Friday vowed that the perpetrators of the Bodija Market crisis will be prosecuted and made to rehabilitate the burnt police station.

The Governor, who visited the market, the burnt police station and the Central Abattoir at Amosun in company of the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Abiodun Odude, reiterated that his administration will not tolerate hooliganism and thuggery, saying that government will not fold its hands and allow some dissidents to destroy its seven years labour of restoring peace and safety in the state.

https://iso.keq.mybluehost.me/oyo-butchers-commend-govt-as-ibadan-central-abattoir-commences-operation-2/

Governor Ajimobi condoled with the traders and people at the Bodija Market, assuring that the government may reopen the market within the next 48hrs after due consultation with the security agencies, the community and market leaders and the leaders of the local government area.

The governor stated that only an enemy of development and progress will condemn the action of the government to relocate the butchers to the central abattoir, explaining that the management of the Central Abattoir is being handled by the 11 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Ibadan and its Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs), the National Butchers Union of Nigeria (NUBN), the Oyo State Government and the Public Private Partnership arrangement.

He said that the Central Abattoir at Amosun village is an ultra-modern facility equipped with state – of – the art facility, pipe borne water, animal health centre, police post among others, noting that the health condition of the general public is one of the primary concerns of the government and proper hygiene should be put in place in an environment where meat is being produced for millions of people.

The governor said that the Bodija Abattoir was closed last year due to the poor hygienic situation of the abattoir as the cow dung was left unpacked for four months, saying, “the market was closed in 2017 for three days because of the sanitation implications. There was unhealthy treatment of cattle blood, offensive odours, unhygienic spread of meat, air pollution due to gaseous emission from the cow dung and the government was concerned about the likely epidemic disease from flies spread.

“We are talking about the general health of the people and not just the minute section in the market as every citizen of the state has one or two things to do with the Bodija Market. The decision to have a central abattoir for the Ibadan butchers predated my administration and we saw the need to relocate the butchers as well. We started discussing with them since five years ago before we eventually relocated them this year.

“We had series of stakeholders’ meeting and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the smooth relocation. All parties agreed to our resolutions and that is why I am surprised that we still have dissidents fomenting trouble. We are always in the habit of politicizing issues in the state. Majority of the butchers have moved and we have received commendations from their union, National Union of Butchers of Nigeria.

“Let me assure you that the perpetrators of this violence will not go unpunished and they will rehabilitate the police station. People must be allowed to pay for their deeds. We did not destroy anybody’s stall or shop but government’s slaughter slabs. Or is there any crime in destroying what is not useful for the government again? We have not stopped them from selling meat at the Bodija market but no more slaughtering of cow there due to the poor hygienic condition. There was also resistance when butchers were moved from Gege to Bodija, so the resistance is not new but the crisis and violence were unnecessary.

“We are working at reopening the market at the earliest possible time as we do not want to deprive our people their means of livelihood. But, we must be assured that adequate measures are put in place to forestall the repeat of the crisis.  We may likely open the market in the next 48hours,” Governor Ajimobi said.

Speaking, the Babaloja of Bodjia Market, Alhaji Sumaila Jimoh appreciated the governor for the swift action in quenching the crisis, appealing that Governor Ajimobi should temper justice with mercy and reopen the market.

Alhaji Jimoh said that the Bodija market people are peace loving but some butchers were always fomenting trouble even with the traders at the market, commending that the government has done well by relocating the butchers to the central abattoir at  Amosun Village.

Comments

Crime & Court

FCMB staff, ex-worker remanded over alleged $25,000 cyber fraud

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the remand of a Service Administrator with First City Monument Bank Plc, Gideon Bakpa Aghogho, and a former employee of the bank, Oscar Ebere Chukwuebuka, over an alleged $25,000 cyber fraud.

Justice Friday Ogazi gave the order on Wednesday following the arraignment of the two men by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on charges bordering on conspiracy, cybercrime and fraud.

The EFCC alleged that Aghogho, Chukwuebuka and a man identified as Scott, who is still at large, conspired between July 24 and 26, 2026, to gain unauthorised access to the bank’s server and siphon $25,000.

The prosecution counsel, Bilikisu Buhari-Bala, told the court that Aghogho allegedly released his access code to Chukwuebuka, who was said to have approached him to facilitate access to the bank’s system.

According to the prosecutor, the access code, which was linked to the bank’s local Administrative Credential, known as ITSD, was allegedly used to gain access to the FCMB Virtual Centre Platform.
Buhari-Bala further alleged that after the money was siphoned, Aghogho received $2,000, while Chukwuebuka allegedly received $400.

The prosecutor said the alleged offences violated provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024, and the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

When the charges were read to them, Aghogho pleaded not guilty, while Chukwuebuka pleaded guilty.
Following their pleas, Justice Ogazi adjourned the case until August 27, 2026, for a review of the facts relating to the charges against Chukwuebuka.

The judge also ordered that the two defendants be remanded in the custody of the Nigerian Correctional Service pending the next hearing.

Before the arraignment, counsel to the defendants, N. Egah and Livingstone Madu, told the court that their clients were willing to enter into a plea bargain agreement.

The prosecutor, however, said the EFCC was not aware of any plea bargain arrangement involving the defendants.
One of the counts alleged that Aghogho, Chukwuebuka and Scott conspired to provide and use Aghogho’s access code to the FCMB system, thereby enabling unauthorised access to the bank’s Virtual Centre Platform.

Another count accused Aghogho of unlawfully disclosing access credentials, including the bank’s server IP and domain credentials, which allegedly facilitated access to the bank’s database.

The EFCC also alleged that Aghogho retained $2,000 on July 26, 2026, while Chukwuebuka retained $400, knowing or having reasonable grounds to believe that the sums were proceeds of an unlawful act.

The defendants have not been convicted of the allegations.

The case was adjourned until August 27 for further proceedings.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Police Arrest 10 Suspected Human Parts Dealers in Oyo

Published

on

Operatives of the Oyo State Police Command have arrested 10 suspected human parts dealers in Iseyin and Saki areas of the state following months of intelligence gathering and surveillance.

The suspects were arrested by the Command’s Monitoring Unit after operatives had closely monitored their activities, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, disclosed in a statement made available to journalists on Friday.

According to the statement, the arrests followed “sustained intelligence gathering, discreet surveillance and close monitoring” of the suspects.

Those arrested were Adam Ibrahim, 42; Nasiru Kabiru, 22; Tijani Wasiu, 54; Abiola Nasiru, 45; Amusa Gbadamosi, 57; Raheem Taofeek, 46; Jimoh Muritala, 35; Suleiman Busari, 47; Ganiyu Nurudeen, 36; and Usman Abdullahi, 52.

Police said several suspected human parts and charms were recovered during searches of the suspects’ hideouts.

The exhibits included a suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The command said the recovered items had been secured for forensic examination as investigations continued.

Olayinka said the suspects had confessed to dealing in human parts for ritual purposes, adding that they were assisting investigators in tracing the source, procurement and intended use of the recovered items.

He said efforts were ongoing to arrest other members of the alleged syndicate.

The Commissioner of Police, Oyo State Command, CP Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, commended the operatives for what he described as a painstaking intelligence-led operation.

The CP reaffirmed the command’s determination to rid the state of criminal elements and protect the sanctity of human life.

He urged residents to remain vigilant and provide credible information to the police to aid crime prevention and detection.

 

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Ex-DSS Officer Arraigned Over Alleged IPOB Membership, Terror Charges

Published

on

The Department of State Services has arraigned one of its retired officers, Nwaogu Ihechimere Ezeakolam, before the Federal High Court in Abuja over his alleged involvement with the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra.

Ezeakolam was docked before Justice Mohammed Umar on a four-count charge bordering on alleged membership of the separatist group, providing support for its activities and using social media to promote its cause.

The charges were instituted by the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), on behalf of the Federal Government. The prosecution alleged that the offences were committed in Abuja and Abia State between 2025 and 2026.

According to the charge, the retired operative allegedly rendered moral support to IPOB by disseminating information in favour of the group through the internet and his social media platforms. The prosecution said the action contravened provisions of the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

The Federal Government also accused him of becoming a member of IPOB despite the group’s proscription by the court. It maintained that the alleged act is punishable under the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act.

In another count, the prosecution alleged that Ezeakolam knowingly posted messages on social media designed to persuade members of the public to support IPOB. It further claimed that the posts amounted to aiding and abetting the activities of the proscribed organisation.

The fourth charge accused the defendant of publishing messages online to advance the cause of IPOB, an offence the prosecution said is contrary to the provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015, as amended.

When the charges were read, Ezeakolam pleaded not guilty to all four counts. Following his plea, prosecuting counsel, Memunat Oladunjoye, urged the court to fix a date for the commencement of trial.

Counsel for the defendant, Godfirst Maduka, informed the court that he intended to file a bail application on behalf of his client. Justice Umar directed that the application should be filed accordingly and fixed October 29 for the commencement of trial.

The judge subsequently ordered that the defendant be remanded in the Kuje Custodial Centre pending the hearing and determination of his bail application.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending