Connect with us

News

US strikes IS targets in Afghanistan as Kabul evacuations enters final stages

Published

on

US President, Joe Biden

The United States killed two “high profile” Islamic State targets with a drone strike in Afghanistan on Saturday, as the airlift of those desperate to flee moved into its fraught final stages with fresh terror attack warnings and Taliban forces primed to take over Kabul airport.

US forces overseeing the evacuation have been forced into closer security cooperation with the Taliban to prevent any repeat of the suicide bombing that killed scores of civilians crowded around one of the airport’s main access gates and 13 American troops.

The attack was claimed by a regional Islamic State chapter (ISIS-K), and the Pentagon said it had killed two “high profile” targets and wounded another from the jihadist group with a drone strike in eastern Afghanistan.

No civilians were hurt in the attack Major General Hank Taylor told a news conference in Washington.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby they were “ISIS-K planners and facilitators”, adding: “The fact that two of these individuals are no longer walking on the face of the Earth, that’s a good thing.”

With the airlift window narrowing sharply ahead of an August 31 deadline, more than 5,000 people remained inside Kabul airport awaiting evacuation on Saturday.

Gone are the crowds of thousands around the airport’s perimeter, hoping to be let through and allowed onto a plane.

Now, the Taliban have sealed off roads leading to the airport and are only letting sanctioned buses pass.

“We have lists from the Americans… if your name is on the list, you can come through,” one Taliban official told AFP near the civilian passenger terminal.

The carnage of Thursday’s suicide attack injected further stress and tension into a situation already fraught with panic and despair for those wanting to leave and high risk for the US forces tasked with securing the operation.

On Saturday, two senior health officials from the former Afghan administration told AFP the death toll from the blast had topped 100, including the 13 Americans.

Some media have put the toll as high as 170.

The bombing followed a chorus of warnings about an imminent threat and, as people gathered outside the airport Saturday, the United States issued a fresh alert for its citizens to leave areas around the main gates “immediately”.

In recent years, the Islamic State’s Afghanistan-Pakistan chapter has been responsible for some of the deadliest attacks in those countries — massacring civilians at mosques, shrines, public squares and even hospitals.

‘Future attempts’

At the White House, President Joe Biden’s press secretary Jen Psaki said US national security experts consider another attack is “likely” and the next few days will be “the most dangerous period to date”.

Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi tweeted that the group’s fighters had already moved into parts of the military side of Kabul airport, but the Pentagon stressed that US forces retained control over the gates and airlift operations.

Heavily armed Taliban fighters were seen throughout the grounds and auxiliary buildings of the airport complex on Saturday, while US marines peered at them from the passenger terminal roof.

After a 20-year war, the foes were within open sight of each other, separated by just 30 metres (yards), and holding fire.

Racing to meet the Tuesday withdrawal deadline has required close cooperation with the Taliban on evacuee movements and the IS threat.

The head of US forces at Hamid Karzai International, Rear Admiral Peter Vasely, is in constant contact with the Taliban official overseeing security around the airport.

And with the Taliban poised to take over when the last US plane leaves, discussions have begun on resuming normal flight operations.

Turkish officials have held initial talks with the Taliban in Kabul about helping get the airport back up and running.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the Taliban offer was for them to oversee security at the airport, while Ankara runs logistical operations.

Refugee exodus

Under enormous criticism at home and abroad for his handling of the Afghan crisis and the US military withdrawal, Biden has pledged to stick to the airlift deadline and punish those responsible for the suicide blast.

About 112,000 people have been flown out of the country since August 14, the day before the Taliban swept to power, according to the US government.

On Saturday Taliban fighters escorted a steady stream of Afghans from buses to the main passenger terminal, handing them over to US troops for evacuation.

Many Western allies have announced an end to their airlifts, with some admitting that at-risk Afghans eligible for evacuation had been left behind.

The United Nations said it was bracing for a “worst-case scenario” of up to half a million more refugees from Afghanistan by the end of 2021.

The Taliban have promised a softer brand of rule compared with their first stint in power from 1996 to 2001, which ended when the United States invaded Afghanistan following the September 11, 2001 attacks.

But many Afghans fear a repeat of their brutal interpretation of Islamic law, as well as reprisals against those working with foreign militaries, Western missions or the previous US-backed government.

Women’s role in society has been one of the biggest concerns, after they were banned from work and education and confined to their homes during the group’s previous rule.

Taliban official Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai, the former deputy chief negotiator of peace talks in Doha, said Friday that women have “an innate right” to work.

“They can work, they can study, they can take part in politics and they can do business,” he told a press conference.

 

Comments

News

Presidency Backs World PR Forum, Onanuga Urges Better Nigeria Image

Published

on

The Presidency has thrown its weight behind the 2026 World Public Relations Forum scheduled to hold in Abuja from November 15 to 21.

The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, gave the assurance on Wednesday when the planning committee of the forum visited him at the State House, Abuja.

The delegation was led by the President of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations, Dr Ike Neliaku.
The forum, which has the theme,

“Deepening Responsible Communications,” is expected to attract about 3,000 delegates from 126 countries.
Onanuga said the hosting of the global event was a major opportunity for Nigeria to showcase its culture and present the country’s story to the international community.

He, however, expressed concern about the negative picture of Nigeria often presented by some Nigerians, especially on social media.

According to him, the forum should be used to correct misconceptions about the country and give foreign visitors a better understanding of Nigeria.

“You see, as a Nigerian, I always feel very odd when you read online the kind of things our people put out in the public space. They say negative things about this country,” Onanuga said.

He added, “This is a great opportunity for us to correct those things of concern to people. For me, I’ve seen the conference as something that will be good for our country, and it should be supported.”

Earlier, Neliaku said the delegation visited Onanuga to seek the support of the Presidency for the successful hosting of the forum.

He said Nigeria was the first African country to secure the hosting rights, adding that the event would provide an opportunity to showcase the country’s rich cultural heritage.

Neliaku noted that Mexico, India and Germany had hosted the forum at different times.

He disclosed that participants at the Abuja event would sign an agreement to be known as the “Abuja Declaration.”

The NIPR president also announced that the President of Zambia, Hakainde Hichilema, would deliver the keynote address at the forum.

He added that President Bola Tinubu would receive a Lifetime Award of Excellence in Reforms during the event.

The Chairman of the Planning Committee, Dr Suleiman Haruna, said preparations were already in top gear.
Haruna said the committee was working with media organisations and security agencies to ensure a successful hosting of the delegates.

Also speaking, a member of the committee and Director-General of Strategic Communications to the Nasarawa State Government, Yakubu Lamai, disclosed that the state government was building a Public Relations University.

He said the project was part of efforts to strengthen the public relations profession and boost confidence in Nigeria among international participants.

A veteran broadcaster and member of the delegation, Moji Makanjuola, said the forum would be inclusive, with women and persons with disabilities adequately represented.

Makanjuola appealed to the Presidency to support the event, stressing that Nigeria must be ready to receive participants from around the world.

“We have to be ready as Nigerians to receive the world; it is a Nigerian thing, it is not for the Ministry,” she said.

The World Public Relations Forum is expected to bring together public relations practitioners, communication experts, policymakers and other stakeholders from across the world to discuss responsible communication and the future of the profession.

Continue Reading

News

FG adds 208MW to national grid, upgrades Ijora, Apapa substations

Published

on

The Federal Government has commissioned upgraded transmission substations at Ijora and Apapa Road in Lagos, adding a combined 208 megawatts of bulk transmission capacity to the national grid.

The projects, inaugurated by the Minister of Power, Joseph Tegbe, are expected to boost electricity supply to major industrial, commercial and residential areas across Lagos.

At the Ijora 132/33kV transmission substation, two new 100MVA transformers have raised the installed capacity from 90MVA to 230MVA, providing an additional 112MW of bulk transmission capacity.

The upgrade is expected to improve power supply to Ijora, Costain, Oyingbo, Customs and adjoining communities within the franchise area of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company.

At the Apapa Road transmission substation, two new 60MVA transformers and modern Gas Insulated Switchgear were installed and energised, increasing the facility’s capacity from 60MVA to 180MVA and adding another 96MW to the transmission network.

The Apapa project is considered particularly important because the area hosts major ports, maritime businesses, logistics companies, warehouses and manufacturing industries. The additional capacity is expected to increase the bulk electricity available to EKEDC for distribution to Apapa Causeway, Ijora, Amukoko, Ajegunle, Apapa Wharf, Tin Can Island and surrounding communities.

Speaking at the commissioning, Tegbe said the projects were part of the Federal Government’s efforts to tackle structural challenges in the nation’s electricity sector.

He said expanding transmission capacity was essential to ensuring that electricity generated was effectively delivered to areas where demand was highest.

According to him, rapid population growth, industrial expansion and increased commercial activities had put considerable pressure on existing power infrastructure, resulting in suppressed load and constrained electricity supply.

Tegbe said reliable electricity remained central to Nigeria’s economic transformation, adding that the administration’s ambition of building a $1tn economy could not be achieved without adequate and dependable power supply.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, Sule Ahmed Abdulaziz, described the projects as a significant investment in strengthening the country’s transmission network. He said the Apapa project was supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency, while the Ijora intervention received support from the World Bank in partnership with TCN.

Abdulaziz called for similar interventions to rehabilitate and upgrade other critical sections of the national transmission network. He said continued investment in the network was necessary to ensure that improvements in power generation translated into better supply for homes and businesses.

The Federal Government said the additional 208MW would improve grid stability and strengthen electricity supply to some of Lagos’ most important commercial and industrial corridors, with the projects expected to support businesses and communities that depend heavily on reliable power.

Continue Reading

News

Nasarawa, firm sign $2m lithium deal

Published

on

Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, on Friday presided over the signing of a $2m supplementary lithium agreement between the state government and Diamond New Energy.

The agreement, signed at the Nasarawa State Governor’s Lodge in Abuja, followed Sule’s recent visit to China and is aimed at securing raw materials for the company’s lithium processing operations in the state.

Speaking at the ceremony, Sule said the agreement would protect the interests of both the state and the company while ensuring that the factory remained operational and workers retained their jobs.

He said, “By keeping your factory operational, we ensure that you continue to get raw material. That is the essence of this agreement.”

The governor added that the state’s decision to secure the necessary licence was also intended to protect its interests in the mining operations.

“We are going to keep your factory functional, and we also have an interest as licence owners in whatever you are doing in your company. More importantly, the people you have employed will remain employed,” Sule said.

The governor urged Diamond New Energy to maintain a peaceful relationship with its host communities and contribute to their development, stressing that the cooperation of the communities was important to the success of the investment.

He further disclosed that payments due to the state under the agreement would be made directly to Nasarawa Mining Company Limited in foreign currency, with the terms subject to periodic review.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Margaret Elayo, commended the investors for their commitment to Nasarawa State.

Elayo expressed optimism that the partnership would encourage more investors to consider the state as a destination for mineral development and other investments.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Nasarawa State Investment Development Agency, Ibrahim Abdullahi, said the latest agreement was an extension of the exclusive mining cooperation agreement signed between the state government and the company in 2024.

According to him, the earlier agreement contributed to the completion of what he described as the largest lithium processing refinery in West Africa.

He said the supplementary agreement would further strengthen investor confidence and allow the continued supply of lithium materials from the state government’s mining block to the refinery.

Abdullahi said the arrangement would also create more employment opportunities for youths and women in the state.

“This supplementary agreement gives credence to these issues. It further gives confidence to the investor to do even more within Nasarawa State,” he said.

He added that the agreement would provide an immediate financial benefit to the state, with Nasarawa expected to receive $2m upon signing, while further revenues would accrue according to the terms of the agreement.

A representative of Diamond New Energy, David Siong, said the company remained committed to deepening its operations in Nasarawa State through local processing of mineral resources, job creation and economic development.

Siong said the company believed in the further development and deep processing of Nasarawa’s mineral resources, adding that it looked forward to continued support from the state government.

Also at the ceremony, the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Isaac Danladi, presented copies of the deed of assignment between Nasarawa Mining Company Limited and Ganfeng Lithium Industry Limited.

Danladi explained that the deed transferred the mining rights and interests of Nasarawa Mining Company within 3.5 mining cadastral units located at Endo, Nasarawa Local Government Area, to Ganfeng Lithium Industry Limited.

He said the transfer followed a review of the terms by the parties involved.

The signing ceremony was witnessed by officials of the state Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, NASIDA, Diamond New Energy and Ganfeng Lithium Industry Limited.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Entertainment

Advertisement

MegaIcon Magazine Facebook Page

Advertisement

MEGAICON TV

Advertisement

Trending