Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Oyo govt begins decontamination, fumigation {Photos}

Published

on

As a way of containing the spread of the novel Coronavirus, Oyo state government has kicked off the decontamination and fumigation of all necessary areas in the State.

According to the state government, the decontamination was one of the steps to control and contain the spread of COVID-19 in the State, adding that corporate entities, owners of business spaces and other identified organisations are expected to carry out a similar exercise on their premises.

In a  statement signed on Monday by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, the Secretary to the State Government, Mrs. Olubamiwo Adeosun, who kicked off the exercise on behalf of the governor,  informed that the exercise was one of the measures taken to contain COVID-19 in Oyo State.

She added that the Government was leading by example by decontaminating the length and breadth of the Oyo State Government Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan.

She said: “We are leading this process today by example by decontaminating the Secretariat. I have been told that some chemicals are in use, but we should not use them carelessly. So, the team is very specific about where they need to decontaminate.”

She admonished all and sundry to cooperate with the Oyo State COVID-19 Decontamination and Containment Project Team in the course of discharging their responsibilities of reaching out to business premises and identified organisations in the State to fumigate them.

“The team will be reaching out to business premises in Oyo State hereafter and all other identified organisations which they believe should be decontaminated.

“We will like to see your utmost support and cooperation with them,” she said.

The SSG, who appealed to all residents of the State to continue to follow all the guidelines issued by the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force on how the disease could be prevented from spreading in the State, said adherence to the directives remained key in the fight against the disease.

“As you have heard from the governor several times, there are many other guidelines given to us, which I will reiterate that we continue to follow.

“We have been told a lot about social distancing. It is very key to us and all over the world in containing the spread of this virus.

“We have also been told that when we need to sneeze or cough, we should use our elbows or handkerchiefs that we can dispose immediately.

“We have also been told that we should not have any gathering of more than 10 people in Oyo State. Remember also that the curfew is still on.

“All these measures are just to ensure that we contain COVID-19 spread in Oyo State,” she said.

 

She enjoined residents who see signs or have had any contact with a suspected case of COVID-19 to quickly call the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) helplines that had been provided for proper guidance on the step to take.

She also appreciated the professors, students and all volunteers from the University of Ibadan and others, who she said joined hands in the project to decontaminate the Secretariat and the entire State.

She said: “I want to thank everyone of us for the obvious dedication we have shown today, being a public holiday. It is good to have all of us out and ready to kick of this decontamination process. We appreciate you.

“On behalf of the governor, I will like to say a big thank you to all the volunteers today, including professors and students of the University of Ibadan, who have helped us to decontaminate the Secretariat.”

Earlier, the chairman of the decontamination project and a Deputy Vice Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Professor Olanike Adeyemo, said that the exercise started 10 days ago and that it was to protect the citizenry from spreading the Coronavirus in the State through decontamination.

Adeyemo said: “It gives me a great pleasure to welcome you here. This is something that started like 10 days ago and I am so proud of the team and what we have been able to accomplish within that time.

“This is not a day for long speeches. All I can say is to encourage us to know that the Oyo State Government is doing all that is required to protect the citizenry and one of these things, in this period, is this decontamination project.”

She noted that decontamination will be carried out whenever it is indicated, even as she commended Governor Makinde for the acumen with which he has been governing the State.

“I want to clarify that decontamination is only done when it is indicated. So, on the contrary to what is being done anywhere else, we are doing what is necessary to protect the citizenry. Like I always say, when you decontaminate, you are not spraying water, you are spraying chemicals. So, we will not do it unless it is indicated,” she said.

She admonished people with land use facilities such as households, pharmacies, hotels, churches, mosques, banks and event centres, among others, to emulate the good gesture of the Government by decontaminating their environment in order to make them safe from this virus.

Comments

News

Rep Oseni Fetes Agbaje on His  Birthday

Published

on

By

The House of Representative member representing Ibarapa East/Ido Federal Constituency, Oyo State, Engr. Aderemi Oseni has felicitated with Barrister Akeem Agbaje, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), on his birthday.

Oseni, who also chairs the House Committee on Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA), in a statement by his media aide, Idowu Ayodele, described the celebrant as a man of integrity and an accomplished legal practitioner whose contributions to politics and governance in the state remain exemplary.

He commended the APC stalwart for his unwavering commitment to democratic ideals and party development, adding that his leadership qualities and dedication to service had earned him respect across political and professional circles.

“Barrister Akeem Agbaje is a brother and friend whose wisdom, integrity, and passion for public service stand out. He has remained one of the pillars of support for our great party and has consistently championed policies that uplift the people,” Oseni said.

The lawmaker lauded Agbaje’s efforts in mentoring young professionals and supporting initiatives that promote education and youth development, noting that his impact extended beyond politics.

Oseni prayed for his continued success, good health, and prosperity.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Surge to $23.11bn

Published

on

By

 

Nigeria’s Net Foreign Exchange Reserve (NFER) reached $23.11 billion by the end of 2024, marking the highest level in over three years. This significant rise reflects improved external liquidity, reduced short-term obligations, and renewed investor confidence.

According to a statement from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the latest figure represents a remarkable increase from $3.99 billion at the close of 2023, $8.19 billion in 2022, and $14.59 billion in 2021.

NFER provides a more accurate measure of the country’s foreign exchange buffers by adjusting gross reserves to account for near-term liabilities such as FX swaps and forward contracts. Alongside this, Nigeria’s gross external reserves also grew to $40.19 billion from $33.22 billion at the end of 2023.

The CBN attributed this reserve expansion to strategic measures aimed at reducing short-term foreign exchange liabilities, notably swaps and forward obligations. The central bank also credited the improvement to policy actions designed to rebuild confidence in the FX market and enhance reserve buffers, bolstered by increased foreign exchange inflows from non-oil sources.

“This improvement in our net reserves is not accidental; it is the outcome of deliberate policy choices aimed at rebuilding confidence, reducing vulnerabilities, and laying the foundation for long-term stability,” stated CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso. “We remain focused on sustaining this progress through transparency, discipline, and market-driven reforms.”

Despite seasonal and transitional adjustments in the first quarter of 2025, including significant interest payments on foreign-denominated debt, the CBN noted that the underlying fundamentals remain strong. The bank expects reserves to continue strengthening over the second quarter of the year.

Looking ahead, the CBN anticipates a steady increase in reserves, supported by improved oil production levels and a more favourable export environment. These factors are expected to enhance non-oil FX earnings and diversify external inflows.

“The CBN remains committed to prudent reserve management, transparent reporting, and macroeconomic policies that support a stable exchange rate, attract investment, and build long-term resilience,” the statement concluded.

 

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Reconstitutes NNPC Board, Appoints Bashir Ojulari as New Group CEO

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has approved a major shake-up in the leadership of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, removing the Chairman, Chief Pius Akinyelure, and the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO), Mallam Mele Kyari.

In a statement released in the early hours of Wednesday by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information & Strategy), Tinubu announced the removal of all board members who were appointed alongside Akinyelure and Kyari in November 2023.

The newly constituted 11-member board will be led by Engineer Bashir Ojulari as the new GCEO, while Ahmadu Kida takes over as Non-Executive Chairman.

Also appointed to the board is Adedapo Segun, who replaced Umaru Ajiya as Chief Financial Officer in November 2023. The board includes six non-executive directors representing Nigeria’s geopolitical zones. They are:

Bello Rabiu (North West)

Yusuf Usman (North East)

Babs Omotowa (North Central), former Managing Director of Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG)

Austin Avuru (South-South)

David Ige (South-West)

Henry Obih (South-East).

Additionally, Mrs Lydia Shehu Jafiya, Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Finance, will represent the ministry, while Aminu Ahmed will represent the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

The appointments take effect from 2 April 2025.

President Tinubu invoked Section 59, Subsection 2 of the Petroleum Industry Act (2021) to justify the board’s restructuring, emphasising the need to enhance operational efficiency, restore investor confidence, boost local content, drive economic growth, and advance gas commercialisation and diversification.

He also mandated the new board to conduct a strategic portfolio review of NNPC’s operations and joint venture assets to align with value-maximisation objectives.

Since assuming office in 2023, President Tinubu has pushed reforms aimed at attracting investments into Nigeria’s oil sector. In 2024, NNPC reported $17 billion in new investments. The administration now targets $30 billion in investments by 2027 and $60 billion by 2030.

Furthermore, the government aims to increase crude oil production to two million barrels per day by 2027 and three million barrels per day by 2030. Gas production is also projected to rise to eight billion cubic feet per day by 2027 and 10 billion cubic feet by 2030.

Similarly, the new board has been tasked with increasing NNPC’s share of refined crude oil output to 200,000 barrels per day by 2027 and 500,000 barrels per day by 2030.

The new NNPC Board Chairman, Ahmadu Kida, hails from Borno State. A graduate of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, he earned a civil engineering degree in 1984 and later obtained a postgraduate diploma in petroleum engineering from the Institut Francaise du Petrol (IFP) in Paris.

Kida began his career at Elf Petroleum Nigeria before joining Total Exploration and Production in 1985. He rose to become Total Nigeria’s Deputy Managing Director of Deep Water Services in 2015 and, in 2024, served as an Independent Non-Executive Director at Pan Ocean-Newcross Group. Beyond the oil sector, Kida is a former basketball player and served as President of the Nigerian Basketball Federation (NBBF).

Engineer Bashir Ojulari, the newly appointed GCEO, hails from Kwara State. Before this appointment, he was Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Renaissance Africa Energy Company. He recently led a consortium of indigenous energy firms in acquiring the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) in a landmark $2.4 billion transaction.

Ojulari is also an alumnus of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He began his career at Elf Aquitaine as Nigeria’s first petroleum process engineer before joining Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria in 1991. Over the years, he held key roles in Europe and the Middle East as a petroleum engineer, strategic planner, field developer, and asset manager. In 2015, he became the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO). He has also served as chairman and board trustee member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE Nigerian Council) and is a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers.

President Tinubu expressed appreciation to the outgoing board members for their contributions to NNPC Limited, particularly their efforts in rehabilitating the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries, which resumed petroleum production after prolonged shutdowns.

He wished them success in their future endeavours.

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending